Juniper Springs Florida Question

Found the culprit
that has made the Silver River silt & muddy. A couple of volunteers went up Half Mile Creek last week & removed all the logs that were blocking the creek. So all the backed up silt & mud behind those logs flowed right into the river. Hopefully it will clear up within another week or so.

Ken, If I didn’t already have
plans for both of those days I would join you. Are you going to be staying here for a couple of weeks?

water quality is definitely in decline

– Last Updated: Apr-05-15 8:29 PM EST –

Water quality is definitely in decline on Silver River. You are absolutely correct in your observation that the current batch of nasty water is coming from Half Mile Creek. I would only question whether the attempt to improve storm water retention is the direct cause of the current problem. Somebody definitely needs to evaluate the project as it isn't working well enough or at all if the water Silver is receiving from Half Mile is that nasty, or something else happened. I've certainly never seen grey/black water to the extent you describe, but I did move away from there in fall 2013.

Oddest thing about this year is that the spring discharge is very low whereas Half Mile is flowing a lot so the dirty water from Half Mile isn't getting diluted by the clear spring water.

the location you describe
The location you describe is consistent with where half mile creek discharges to the Silver River.

Thanks
That info is better than me armchairing from Rockledge :slight_smile: .

Yes, Ken,
Deb and I would be available to paddle either of those days. Currently planning to paddle the Withlacoochee on Saturday the 11th, but that could be easily changed.

It’d be good to see you again!

Tom

Thanks for the info Jack
Hopefully this is a one time event and will not be an ongoing thing. The Silver is too gorgeous for this.

Hopefully they will
the logs in the creek alone from now on. KK

on a cool winter’s
day…try this one in a north wind

http://goo.gl/Gk2Xax

ONF ROADS
are upgraded to EXCELLENT via DOD/USDA funding.

Hey Jack
You can make up Hi-Jacking my post by going paddling with us on Saturday.

Ken

If we were still in that neck…
of the woods, we would be there in a heart beat, but just arrived a few hours ago back to the NC high country.

We’ll probably be paddling the French Broad River in Asheville on Saturday with our oldest daughter.

Jack L