Just bought Grumman Canoe

Hello,
I just bought a Grumman Canoe and I’m the process of getting out the dents and painting it amd I have a few questions. First attached is a picture of the serial number, what information can you give me about the canoe from that? Second, I need a replacement seat, what is the best option for this and what should it cost to replace? Third, what is the best way to transport it and get it on and off the car with 1 person. I am able.to life it by myself if that helps. Thank you in advance.

Consider a wooden replacement seat made of ash. Get em from Ed’s or Northwoods.
If you have a roof rack you can load it from the rear by yourself.

Contact the company that took over Grumman’s boat business, they may have an answer to both questions. https://marathonboat.com/

quick search yields this hypothesis…A, may be 1950’s production. 5 may mean .050" thick sheet, and 17 is most likely length. Proving yet again, Grummans last forever, unless they’re shot down.

1 Like

That’s awesome thank you

I can’t answer any of your questions, but I have to say I love my Grummann. I once paddled it across Prince William Sound, Whittier to Valdez.

1 Like

I started paddling with the Boy Scouts around 1960. We rented boats in those days and they were Grummans 100% of the time. As kids we often had 15 footers.

I took a group to the Boundary Waters in 1985, and we rented our whole outfit on Moose Lake. We had 17 foot Grummans and portaged them 85 miles.

They might be slow and heavy and cold, but they have very bouyant ends and can take a beating. They are deep boats and can carry a load. The last time I was on a trip with one, was about 1992, when a friend brought one down the Green River in Utah.

As for painting, just knock the dirt off the outside, however, I found that a nice Rustoleum flat tan inside is a lot eaiser on the eyes when out in full sun.