Justification for Dry Suits

I found…
…this being one of the best dry suit thread!

Aside from a few extreme post on the two end, most post focus on the benefit of dry suit as an “enabler” and “extender” for cold water paddling.

While I don’t paddle in the winter (too busy skiing), I do appreciate the one dry suit day I had. Not worrying about getting wet is just so… liberating!

Hmmm…

– Last Updated: Nov-22-09 10:55 PM EST –

Other than the occasional use of words like "Joisey" (which is always a let-down since it's not "in-character" along with most of the rest of the stuff he writes), most of F.E.'s dialect reminds me of a way of speaking which died out about 150 years ago. You think it might offend somebody's ghost or something? They'd probably be honored.

Just curious . . .
Recognizing that the poster was asking about dry suits, I wonder why - among the options discussed - the option of wearing a wet suit was not brought up . . . especially as an option for people paddling in the South?

Perhaps, something like a 3mm farmer john, with a paddling jacket, or a semi-dry jacket would be sufficient for most cold days in the South.

Does it have to be life or death
I wanted a dry suit for the past three years and I wasn’t thinking so much about living or dying, I wanted to extend my season. I bought it after waiting and weighing the cost verses how many years I expect to own it. I want to be reasonably comfortable and we are talking short NC winters, not the cold of the north.

I’m not use to having anything around my neck so it is taking some adjustment on my part and the latex but i think it is a wise investment for me. I used it today for the first time and I felt so much more comfortable knowing if I did go in the drink, not only was I more likely to survive (not really an issue today) I would be much more comfortable.

The other benefit is I was comfortable edging and doing stuff I enjoy when it is warm. Otherwise I would be point A to point B paddling and not playing.

If paddling was a passing fancy for me I would find something else to do when water temps drop and cold days. Since I am in it for the long haul, there is no reason to deny myself comfort and a potentially life saving tool

Just ignore his gibberish
It’s not worth the effort to try to decipher it. If I see his name on a post, I just skip it.

Ah’s truly honored, Sir

– Last Updated: Nov-23-09 8:39 AM EST –

But please do skip me stuff, Pilgrim. Truly, no use wastin' good gibberish on dems dat dun't appreeciate a fine, aged gibberish. Goes well wit Spam parmesan in a lite Tang sauce.

As de late, great Gabby Hayes (or wuz it Erson Wells or maybe it wuz Dawn Wells) used ta proclaim...

"Ah' shall not jabber fine gibberish before it's time"

FE

Dear Just Curious
I’ve only used wet suits for diving, so have no experience in this application. My impression from that background is based on the word WET. The suit is heavy and saturated. While it would keep me warmer after the initial shock, I wouldn’t be in a diving situation where I can climb back on the dive boat, dry off and change. Here I could be 20 miles yet from my haul-out point in 20 deg. temps, and now am soaked through. The point one respondent made of being able, with a drysuit, to just bail the canoe/kayak, get back in and keep going sounds like the best option.

Reckon’ it hard readin’ it…
Yer ought’ta try writin’ it…

FE

1-10-1 Rule

– Last Updated: Nov-23-09 11:36 AM EST –

Interesting Cold Water Boot Camp videos with some good facts.

Short version (10 minutes):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1xohI3B4Uc

Long version (30 minutes):
http://vimeo.com/4534662

Lee

I was just going to …
… post yesterday that I enjoy fatelmo’s funny links (check the “butt” syndrome one somewhere here in this post, for instance). And a bunch of you beat me to it -;(

Despite having to spend more time deciphering his wrytn’ than I’d like, it’s also entertaining -:wink:

Dry suit justification
Dry suits are not necessary as long as you never plan to have an accident.

But then again, how many accidents are planned for?

Great video.

– Last Updated: Nov-23-09 10:29 AM EST –

That video pretty much tells it all for all the coldwater heroes out there.

Drysuit for canoeist
In my 17 yrs of paddling on the E. Coast, I have never seen a canoeist in any immersion gear, drysuit or wetsuit. I have seen plenty of recreational kayakers winter paddling in street clothes too. The kayak community usually gets the bad rap when it comes to deaths because there are so many of them these days. Canoeists do die and I know that talking to the E.Coast small boat person from the C.Guard, that every spring, you can count on a few canoe deaths. Every kayak store seems to have courses and there are clubs everywhere with education about hypothermia. I don’t even know of canoe clubs on the east coast. I went out of my way to get a ACA canoe instructor to give a demo at one of our rescue clinics and he was not easy to find. If I want a certified kayak instructor, I can probably yell out my window. So, In my experience, kayak training seems to be everywhere. Plus in CT I find that many canoe users have a family canoe and fire it up when the weather changes and may use it a few times a year and are not going to buy immersion clothing. No doubt there are a lot of naive kayakers out there. But kayaking education seems to be everywhere. I also see more and more rec kayakers with pfd’s and rarely do I see canoeist wearing them. (your results may vary) In your neck of the woods it might be totally opposite as you say.

A’nudder drysuit plus

– Last Updated: Nov-23-09 12:45 PM EST –

Yer kin re-live yer birth every time yer don yer suit.

http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2502915100094647494pCDVrC

(Me'reckon's ah' had more follicular foliage de first time, though)

FE

Interesting
A couple years ago I unexpectedly went over in upper 40 degree water temps. It was no big deal, close to shore, had another paddler there, and never got separated from the boat. But the thing I found most interesting was my breathing when I popped up, like hyperventilating I guess. I didn’t feel panicked or nervous at all but it took about 10 seconds until I could get my breathing under control. I remember being frustrated by it at the time. It was strange to be aware of what was happening but not being able to control it. I was trying to tell my friend that I was fine and that I’d swim the boat over to shore but it was really hard to talk.

The couple weeks ago in water temps. colder than that I intentionally rolled my kayak and had no problems at all. I suppose there’s a big difference between knowing what’s coming and being surprised by it.

I think this has been a really good thread and I’m actually considering buying a drysuit. Like another poster said, the comfort level of knowing the security is there would let me do more things in cold water. I quit paddling my Thunderbolt over a month ago when the water temps go too cold, though I’d love to be out getting some miles on it and keeping in better shape. The chances of it going over are just too good to chance it. I’m also much more tentative edging my boats now as well.

I feel like I can paddle safely in weather like this without one, but there are things that I can’t do safely in cold water that a drysuit would allow.

Alan

I don’t feel at all bothered by dialect,
but unless I can discern a vitally important message, I usually pass it over.

As penance, Fat Elmo, you should wade through Russell Hoban’s post-apocalyptic novel, “Riddley Walker.”

We wear ours in the Nantahala in …
the summer, because we know we are going to get splashed with that bottom of the lake frigid water.

But to use one to keep dry in the winter once again, (in my estimation) is just too uncomfortable.

Cheers,

JackL

F.E. , that vid. has had me wanting …
… to make some rediculous comment , but I have refrained !!

LOL
I was thinkin’ the same thing - must take you twice as long to compose a post than the rest of us! It never occurred to me that anyone would be offended by them. Keep ‘em comin’, I enjoy 'em.

Clinches it!
That clinches it, I definitely will NOT be getting a drysuit now.

Alan