Kayak Boots?

When it’s warm enough to wear shorts but the water is too cold to have your feet get wet, what do you wear on your feet that is light weight and not bulky? This is for getting in and out of my kayak in roughly a foot of water.

Thanks

Shorts?
When it’s warm enough to wear shorts, most kayakers don’t worry about wet feet. NRS low kayak shoes etc.

Kokaktat Launch Socks
Knee high. Turns your tevas into water boots.

See you on the water,

Marshall

The River Connection, Inc

Hyde Park, NY

www.the-river-connection.com

socks
I wear a NRS neoprene calf length “sock”. What is nice about them is that you can roll them down to most any height you want if they turn out to be a bit warm as the day goes on.

I bought a pair of short booties a couple of sizes bigger to make sure the socks fit in ok.

Later in the season I’ll wear a mukluk style boot.

58 bucks
retail for a pair of socks to keep your feet warm and toasty…

I am definitely in the wrong business.

Paul

My wife and I wear exactly what you are.
describing, but wear NRS Boundary Shoes.

They might be too bulky for you, but seem to work good for us.

Jack L

5 Fingers
Picked up a pair of these on sale … I believe it’s the “flow” model, which are neophrene. Tight enough to keep sand out, and keep my feet warm. I find them comfortable to wear, but they look odd and may not be for everyone.

NOT
a fan of NRS. Had a pair of their neporene boots, first outing and a big leak in one. Called their c/s dept., said ship them to us, ok, they ship them back and said the “seem ok”. What? Obviously no one there put them in water to feel/see the leak. They said send them back…did and get a note back that they were not guaranteed to be waterproof…right. They get no business from me.

NRS Boundary Shoe
My wife and I both wear these in the cold waters of late fall in Michigan lakes and rivers. Our feet have always stayed dry as long as the water level has been below the top of the boot. Personally, I find this knee-high boot to be extremely comfortable. If it ever wears out, I will replace it with the same boot.

boots
+1 on the NRS boots leaking. So do their spray skirts.

(2 in a row, so back to Snapdragon for us)

We have used ExtraTufs and, for the past four or five years, Muck Boots. The muck boots may be too thick and warm for a lot of paddling in warmer areas, but are great for the ocean here in southeast Alaska. We often wear shorts and boots, along with capilene.

shorts?
You dress for the water temperature, not the air temperature. If it’s warm enough for shorts the water’s warm.

Bill H.

I don’t. I dress for the air temperature
And I know many other paddlers who do the same.

Jack L

I have worn shorts
with Chota mukluks and it works great! The basic kind with no laces are easy on easy off and comfortable by adding a support insole and stuff with paper after wear to dry.

I just got a pair of these for $17
and like them. Very light. Like neoprene socks, only with a thin sole. If they still have your size.

http://www.rei.com/product/803153

how could neoprene be waterproof?
Neoprene let’s water in, then holds it. That’s how neoprene works. That’s why a wetsuit is called a wet suit.

Re: Shorts and boots

– Last Updated: Oct-31-10 9:40 PM EST –

Regarding this dictum stated somewhere above..."You dress for the water temperature, not the air temperature."

Actually, I dress for whatever I find comfortable. I wore shorts, sailing boots with goretex waders attached to their tops and a long sleeve capilene shirt when paddling in Greenland and Baffin Island.

Now, 15 years later, in Southeast Alaska I wear rail riders and a capilene top along with muck boots. If it's hot, I'll wear shorts.

If I dressed for the water temperature I'd be in fleece and a dry suit all year long. Why on earth would I want to do that? I don't make it a habit to fall into the ocean.

foot gear
I start kayaking in Minnesota in the spring when there is more ice than water and don’t quit until freeze up in the fall.

In the cold months; Chota mukluks and wool socks keep my feet warm and dry. If my legs are too warm they roll down. They are great with a dry suit too in really cold conditions.

In the warmer months, cheap water shoes from wally. Get a new pair every other year or so under $10.

Finally there is some one here
who makes sense !

On our first trip to Alaska, we paid big bucks for dry suits. The first time we wore them all we did was sweat all day long.

Now all we use them for is stuffed into one of the compartments, just for a change of clotes, in case of an unexpected swim, and we always dress for the air temperature.

They were a very expensive mistake !

Jack L

Chota Mukluks…
Come to just under the knee and they ARE waterproof…Wetsuits let water in through the openings…step into the water ABOVE THE KNEE and you will get water in the boots as well, though they come with sinch straps to keep that to a minimum…

Oh, and MEC boots are the same boot, with additional mods…

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442632784&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302700471

Kayak Boots?
Having gone through two unsatisfactory pair of zippered boots and one pull-on pair I am very pleased with a zipperless pull-on boot called a 7mm Pyro by X/S Scuba. It’s a diver’s boot. Very easy to put on and take off as long as you’re wearing socks. Feet stay dry and warm. If you’re in water higher than their 8 inch height take a 14 or so inch loose piece of velcro strap and fasten it tightly at the top when getting in and getting out. Good sturdy soles, and not too big for the foot pegs of a Dagger Cortez. Used them about forty times with no sign of wear. A little pricey at $59, but worth it.