Kayak brands - budget vs quality & how to know

Hi all,
I’m new to the kayak world and have been out only a couple of times. I want to buy my own but it’s become clear that I can’t figure out how to tell the difference between a budget brand like Pelican (the only one that’s obvious to me!) and any of the rest.
I want to avoid the budget brands because I’m the type of person who looks for longevity in a purchase like this. Can anyone point me to a resource that would help sort that out?
I live in Canada if that makes a difference!
Thanks for your help!

I’m in Canada too, but that only narrows it down to 10 provinces and 3 territories. With 17,098,246 sq. km of area, Canada is second only to Russia in size, though most would agree much of that is less than desirable to live on… but I digress. Narrow it down to a geographic region so that you can get specific advice.

General advice: if it comes from a chain store, you’re probably better to look elsewhere.

Let us know what sort of paddling you (want to) do and where you plan to do it.

Look under the stuff under “Learn” (top line menu) on this site.

But frankly trying to buy the right kayak the first time as a newbie is like buying wood lathe without knowing how to turn wood. It is a tool and until you understand how the tool is supposed to work, it is nearly impossible to make a perfect choice. That is one reason everyonehere recommends biuying used.

The season and water is still warm. Find someplace to take a few lessons to learn the basics of paddling, turning and doing self-rescues. It will be less money than making the wrong first choice in a new boat. And you will have a much better idea of what you need without having lots of info thrown at you here.

Or, you can do what I did - buy an inexpensive used kayak from a well-reputed brand, and plan on using it a while and re-selling it when you have a better idea of what you need. You can find ads on Craigslist and ask on here for advice on specific choices for your body size and paddling intentions.

But I also strongly second the advice Celia gave of taking lessons. When I first started out I didn’t understand why I would need them, but after one lesson I did! And, kayak lessons are really fun.

You asked for a resource, so here’s a good one: http://www.paddlesafely.com/kayaks/

@Doggy Paddler said:
Or, you can do what I did - buy an inexpensive used kayak from a well-reputed brand, and plan on using it a while and re-selling it when you have a better idea of what you need. You can find ads on Craigslist and ask on here for advice on specific choices for your body size and paddling intentions.

But I also strongly second the advice Celia gave of taking lessons. When I first started out I didn’t understand why I would need them, but after one lesson I did! And, kayak lessons are really fun.

Ditto to all of this.

In Canada, I would specifically look for used Current Designs boats, they are generally good and last a long time. A used model can often be sold for the same as you paid after one season of (nearly free) testing.

Boreal Designs is also a Canadian company that makes excellent quality boats.

I’d say generally, that any maker that had their own informative website, and produces a good range of boats, from recreational to full on sea kayaks, will offer a good choice.

Current Designs, Wilderness Systems, Jackson, Perception, Eddyline, Delta, Hurricane, Necky (now Old Town), are all worth looking at.

It’s also that time of year when kayak touring outfits think about selling off their inventory before winter sets in. You can get some very good bargains.

1 Like

Generally the bottom line (price) is going to be a pretty good starter for indicating the quality of boats. With some notable exceptions you most likely will be looking at polyurethane , thermoplastic (ABS) , or composite construction. There are some really good boats in each category with poly being the least expensive then thermoplastic; composite being the higher priced.

I’m not so much on the side of starting with something used and cheap. If you really get into paddling as a main pastime, you’re likely to have more than one boat, but if one is all you have room for, etc. you’re going to want one that is your ultimate boat. Whatever you do, at least get one that turns you on.

Visit as many real kayak stores as you can and kick a few tires (so to speak).

The MEC co-op sporting goods chain has locations scattered across Canada. Though they do stock cheaper brands like FeelFree they are a P & H-Venture dealer and also have Boreal Designs – all three brands a good quality kayaks you can add to the list. They also have their own MEC house brand of day touring and rec boat kayaks but I don’t know who makes those for them. If you go to MEC’s home site they have a map with store locations.

These are all SO helpful. Thank you all. I visiting a Riot dealer today (Canadian company but made in China), and sat in a few. The Edge 13 was a good fit and the reviews here for that boat are amazing, but will try out a few more.
I’m in the Kawarthas of Ontario, so there are a few places around. I’ll check into lessons too.
In terms of what I want to do: kick around and explore some local lakes and probably the big, slowish river, encourage my kids’ seeming love of paddling, and finally get a kayak, 'cause every time I’ve been in one, I LOVE it!

Frontenac Kayak Outfitters in Frontenac Provincial park north of Kingston is not all that far from you (3 hour drive). Very nice shop with excellent staff, stock and rentals. They also sell off most of their rental boats in the Fall at a nice discount (there are compelling financial reasons for outfitters to do this.) They are right on a lake so you can demo models at the shop.

https://frontenac-outfitters.com/about-us/

There is also an excellent kayaking club based in Kingston, the Cataraqui Canoe and Kayak Club. Non-members are welcome on many of their trips and they have many expert paddlers in their membership – going out with a club can give you a lot of exposure to different boats and even connections to people selling used boats. I have a friend who is a long time member and have paddled with the club (on the nearby Rideau Canal). They are quite a welcoming group for people of any age and ability level.

I’m on Frontenac’s mailing list. The fall sale starts on the 23rd.

Note: I have no relationship with them aside from drooling over sexy boats on their website.

@willowleaf said:
Frontenac Kayak Outfitters in Frontenac Provincial park north of Kingston is not all that far from you

Yes! I was looking at their website yesterday and have to go to Kingston on Thursday, so I’m planning to go then. Unfortunately the sale won’t have started, but all the boats will be there to see and touch. It looks like a great place! Thank you for those ideas!!

Watch out for NTP drool.

I wasn’t thrilled by Frontenac when I was there a year or two ago. Yes, they have a lot of nice boats. Very nice, high end pricey boats. Or at least, that’s what I was noticing when I was there. They are NOT right on the water, so a test paddle involves loading up boats and heading off to the local lake. This involves some inconvenience and forethought. Definitely not the same as having racks of boats right down by the water.

You owe it to yourself to visit White Squall just north of Parry Sound. They are right on a small lake and are very good at making you feel like an invited guest when you’re there. It’s a very relaxed environment and you can try out LOTS of different boats. They’re also a good choice for lessons.

https://www.whitesquall.com/

Thank you all! I’ll be going to Frontenac anyway, since I’m practically driving past it anyway, and will keep White Quall in mind.

OK, I understand wanting quality but the bigger question is what boat is best for you?
Buy a cheap boat, maybe used, and start to paddle! Try some day paddles. Do some fishing. Maybe try and haul some stuff for a lunch out along the water. When you find what interests you look for something that fits that. Keep narrowing it down. I have four boats right now, the only one I’ve bought new is my first one, which was a cheap rec boat. I’m almost ready to spend the kind of money that a new boat will cost, but I’m needing to paddle some more boats and figure out what fits me best.
Fit is another thing you need to figure out. You want your eventual boat to fit you well so you have the connection to the boat you want.

Go to a local paddling pro shop, rent or try out a bunch of boats to see what you like and buy yourself a used one to save yourself money. Generally speaking used boats go for a good chunk off depending on condition.

Like always and in any field, avoid the cheapest and most expensive offerings. The most expensive offerings tend to be very focused, require a lot of preparation, care, training and maintenance, and usually trade versatility for absolute ability in just one or two things. The cheapest on the other hand tend to be of lower quality, very heavy and the plastic itself doesn’t last as long. Plastic boats of good quality can last 20, 30 years or more with minimal care. Fiberglass can go much longer (but is more fragile and requires periodic maintenance). Also the cheapest boats can be small, lack bulkheads or flotation and often are only stable for smaller adults or children and are poorly seaworthy.

FYI avoid something like this:
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/sun-dolphin-trek-10-sit-in-kayak-with-paddle-tangerine-1297149?cm_mmc=feed--GoogleShopping--Product-_-1297149&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7oOt95LK5AIVxQOGCh2eVQSmEAQYAyABEgJpzfD_BwE

As always take the outliers of the price out of the equation but basically speaking a “good” kayak or canoe should sell (or have recently sold for) around $1,000, maybe more and these boats can often be purchased for $6-800 used depending on condition, sometimes less. If the brand new cost is $400, avoid it like the plague.

IMHO the Wilderness and Necky Kayaks as well as Old Town canoes are good “quality” brands very suitable for beginners that won’t break the bank especially 2nd hand. Both represent versatile, stable “family haulers” of good quality that are not expensive, are easy and stable to paddle and a great platform to have fun and learn your skills until you’re ready for something fancier. There are many good brands out there, just saying what goes in my area.

Keep a lookout for demo days. It’s getting cold up there now and several companies will be trying to trim inventory. Try a few and get one that is not quite comfortable for you. You will grow into it quickly.

@mogeton said:
Hi all,
I’m new to the kayak world and have been out only a couple of times. I want to buy my own but it’s become clear that I can’t figure out how to tell the difference between a budget brand like Pelican (the only one that’s obvious to me!) and any of the rest.
I want to avoid the budget brands because I’m the type of person who looks for longevity in a purchase like this. Can anyone point me to a resource that would help sort that out?
I live in Canada if that makes a difference!
Thanks for your help!