Kayak & Canoe Fleet Winter Storage

I’m looking for ways to store our small fleets of kayaks and canoes over winter. We have limited indoor space and a tight budget as we are a nonprofit. Thank you!

Where are you?
Location can make a difference.
You need to be far more aware of sun damage in some areas than in others. Factor in wind and one of the most important which is often overlooked is altitude. By far the largest majority of kayakers live at or very close to sea level, but not all. As an example, kayakers who live around Lake Tahoe have UV light to deal with that is more intense than what you get in south Texas simply because their homes can be at around 7000 feet high.

One way I know of that seems to work well is using green house hoops and tarps to cover the kayak and guard them from sun and wind. Snow can be a factor if you get a lot. Such hoops will not stand very deeps snow loads but up to about a foot or so they seem to do OK. The tarps are perishable and need to be replaces every 5 years or so, but they are breaking down and the kayaks are not, so overall it’s worth the expense. What is needed to prevent wind damage is 100% dependent on the speed of winds you get where ever you live.

It would not work where I am.

(Wind River Valley of Wyoming. Just take as wild guess as to why it’s called by that name)

1 Like

Thank you for such a detailed response, I appreciate it!

We’re in Pittsburgh ~1200’ above sea level and wind speeds are not too big of a concern. I was thinking a green house might work too because it’s a cheaper option but was also worried about the snow - we get the occasional heavy snowfall but I think it should be fine. What are your thoughts about putting pallets down so the boats are off the ground? And when you store your boats do you find it best to open the hatches or leave them closed?

If you build an A frame instead of an inverted U or a square frame the snow will shed off it and not be a problem Make the apex higher then the base so all the snow sluffs off. I like to go about 60% tall and 40% wide. Such a strong framed tent can be buried 100% with snow, and never sag. And the more it’s covered the less wind effects it.

Also, if you make it with 4 As, lean the outermost two in at the tops, to brace on the ridge pole. Doing that makes it not want to collapse long-ways so with a good lean you need no guy lines. For a good long service life use 1/2 cinder or concrete blocks to set the ends of the frame members into and trap them in concrete. That makes “feet” that hold it all down very well.

Bolt the tops of the As and the ridge pole together, so if ever you need more room you can unbolt and add more to lengthen it, or simply add length to the frame legs to make it taller. The “feet” are easily moved to make it all grow.

To suspend the kayaks; if you make loops or drill holes at about 20 inch spacing you can loop ropes around the hulls and chinch them up, lifting the kayaks off the ground and hanging on the frame itself. Stager from the right side to the left side and a 6 foot tall shed will hold 4-5 kayaks easily. Think of a zig-zag pattern for the ones near the top so one doesn’t interfere with the other on the other side of the tent.
If you need a bit more storage simply make a few freestanding frames you can slide in and out, so you can also store 2 more dead center on a frame (like saw horses,) which is centered on the ground between the stacks of kayaks on the frame sides.

What you use to cover the whole thing is up to you. Anything from cheap tarps that have to be replaced every 2 years, to sail cloth that has a 20 year life. But make the fame so covering it is easy with only a small amount of sewing needed, and hold the frame to the legs either by trapping it at the feet or by making eye and loop closures. Or even just washers with screws going through them.

Such a structure is easy and fast to make and easy to move or expand later if you out-grow it.

And me…I leave my hatch covers off and set them in the compartments.
I can’t say it’s helping anything… but it doesn’t hurt either.

2 Likes