Kayak cart tall enough to roll kayak into Hullavator?

Thanks Celia! I think I was just not used to the way it moves… didn’t realize you flip it up, and THEN down :woman_facepalming: :rofl:

I ended up getting a C-tug cart for just that reason. Also it turns out my kayak is not as heavy as I expected it to be, so not too much trouble getting it loaded as I expected. :slight_smile:

I actually did end up getting a c-tug after this thread, this being one of the reasons. Haven’t used it yet but I definitely think it will do the job :slight_smile:

1 Like

Here are three more pictures. The wood doesn’t make it heavy to push, but it does add weight for lifting. But with the tall, spindly frame, it isn’t all that stiff. Best to use for rolling around on a smooth, hard surface as I do.

Celia, I’m going to be in Bangor on Saturday to take of some stuff, do you know of any nice lakes for paddling and swimming in that area?

You are a bit out of my range there. And if I were looking at Bangor it would be to the salty side.

But I see a lake called Pushaw Lake not so far off with camping sites and a convenience market on it, looks like it might have decent launch options as well as landing sports for a break. So likely solid for more recreational paddling. Big enough to have power boats though, so likely need to keep your eyes out.
A smaller thing called Perch Pond that looks tiny but lovely.

South of Bangor there is Field’s Pond with an Audubon center on it. Brewer Lake smaller but with three what look like landable islands.

The Penobscot River is close by but I suspect awfully busy with motor craft. Maybe not the most pleasant way to spend some time on a summer weekend.

Thank you for extra pics!! You have certainly got my idea juices flowing. My one major restriction I have would be size & folding ability due to living in elderly housing with a rule(s) against storing anything outside. Right now I store small rec kayak in my van all summer (& all related stuff. Again, thanks for pics!

Thanks Celia for all the detail! I will definitely check out either Pushaw or Brewer lake! I’m just there for the day, and it’s 3 hours from me so I don’t mind a smaller lake :slight_smile:

What brand and model cart are you using. I’m looking for a good taller one. Thanks!

Not sure if you would consider this one “taller”. It is tall enough for me. NEMO Extreme by Seattle Sports.

Wow, the idea of using stroller wheels and possibly the collapsing and opening aspects of this type of frame has some serious possibilities in my opinion. I have a Honda CRV, and a Hullavator. I made a Scupper cart out of grey electrical PVC conduit that finally doesn’t break every time I drop it from the bottom of my yak as load it onto my Hullavator. I would love something that could rise up and lower down instead. I don’t worry about stowing mine, I take it back to my car.

1 Like

Assuming you have room in your car or are just going from your house to the water a taller cart with big wheels is fine. But if you are planning on using it to carry a boat between bodies of water like in the Adirondacks or Boundary Waters, you generally want something that will break down and fit in a hatch, or if carried on the deck (which I don’t particularly recommend), will not be too heavy or bulky.

If I put much weight on the single front wheel of my stroller cart, the cart feels very flexible and bouncy. You can see in the photos that the strongest part of the frame goes straight down to the large rear wheels. For any moving around, I lift the weight off of the front wheel and use the cart as if it were just a simple two-wheel dolly. That third wheel really just serves as a support when the cart is stationary and supports only a small fraction of the weight of the kayak. Bottom line is that a tall two-wheel cart may serve the purpose just as well and be easier to collapse and store.