Kayak cart

Is there a cart that will permit rear loading onto saddles on a compact car without the stern of a 15.5’ kayak hitting the ground?

I have a Paddle Boat and a C-Tug. Both have this problem.

Not interested in other types of loaders at this time, thanks.

Which Paddle boy?
Sounds like you need a narrow cart with large wheels. The Paddleboy ATE has 16" wheels. Perhaps the uprights could be padded out so that it doesn’t slide too far towards the middle of the boat.

http://www.outdoorplay.com/Paddleboy-ATE-Kayak-Cart?sc=7&category=119

I have the Paddlelogic Trail Treker, which has 12 inch wheels, and the stern of my Saranac still bumps while trying to load it on my Forester.

Stern won’t hit the ground
if you take it off the cart before pushing it up onto the roof :slight_smile:

Modify a Quantum, maybe

– Last Updated: Jul-28-11 1:55 PM EST –

I recently bought their kayak cart. It has a very narrow "scoop" to hold the stern on, secured with straps. You could glue foam inside the scoop to make its span even tighter, to hold the very end of the stern.

You would need to use bigger wheels than the 7" ones included, but you can buy those at places such as Northern Tools and other stores that sell lawn equipment replacement wheels. The wheels clip on and off with a simple cotter pin that's a stock item.

http://www.rei.com/product/738003/quantum-engineering-stern-wheels-cart?cm_mmc=cse_froogle-_-gpeLink-_-product-_-738003&mr:trackingCode=4C7D4FFE-FB85-DE11-B7F3-0019B9C043EB&mr:referralID=NA&{copy:s_kwcid}=&mr:adType=pla&gclid=COS0pvHMpKoCFcdM4AodwFfKWQ

This one
http://secretdepot.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=1&idcategory=8

The ATE looks better than what I have, thanks. Expensive though.

Do you have the same problem of the cart collapsing on its side if the kayak isn’t exacty in the center? Why can’t this cart be made to stand up straight?

I hate that cart

– Last Updated: Jul-28-11 1:49 PM EST –

That's the first one I bought, and I still have it, though I will be selling it for real cheap.

Not only does it fold and veer, it's too easy to get a hand caught in the biting fold.

I didn't think I'd like the tiny Quantum kayak cart but it's lighter, smaller, cheaper, easy to disassemble, and doesn't collapse. Looks like it would be easy to modify to suit your needs. REI sells it.

Collapse
Yeah, those Paddleboys collapse and don’t track very well on uneven ground, so when I saw the Paddlelogic on ebay over the winter I sprung for it. I used it in the Adirondacks last month, and it worked extremely well. Unfortunately, they’re going for a lot more now than when I bought mine.

http://cgi.ebay.com/KAYAK-CART-best-kayak-cart-planet-/170673914927?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27bcf5442f

As far as replacing the wheels on the Quantum, you gotta watch that you have the same hub size. The Quantum looks like it has a 1/2 x 1.75 hub. As you go up in wheel size, the hubs get larger and will be too big for the axle.

You forgot to mention
that it digs into the side of your kayak and leaves marks.

Questions about the Trailtreker
I don’t know if the Paddle Logic Trailtreker would solve my stern problem, but the video at the website sure is convincing.

Question: Does this thing go over LARGE obstacles? For example, last year I was unable to paddle Long Lake in the Adirondacks because the silly Paddle Boy was useless on the very rough Adirondack portage trails. Big disappointment. Would the Trailtreker be able to handle terrain that rough, with large rocks on the trail?

Does anyone have an e-mail address for Paddle Logic? There’s no information about the company at the website. I guess it’s a very small operation.

Large rocks
It’s hard to say, without knowing your definition of large rocks. I’m not familiar with any of the portages to Long Lake, but I can tell you my experience. Probably the rockiest trail I used it on was the one into Moss Lake, most of which isn’t too bad, but there is one section where it is rocky, rooted, and rutted. It performed just as well as a borrowed center cart that I used last year.

The short trail to the launch area at the Lower Dam of Lows Lake is very washed out with deep ruts, and once again I had no difficulty.

Paddlelogic does appear to be a small operation. If you have an ebay account, you can contact them by using the link that says “ask a question” near the bottom of the item page.

I like the cart and feel it’s a great compromise between the folding type of end carts and the center cart, which is less tiring for longer distances. It performed exactly as the video showed. Whether the wheels are large enough to keep the stern of your boat from hitting the ground when loading onto the car depends on a combination of things, like how far forward it is on the boat and how much of an angle is needed to reach the rack. Like I said, My 14’ Saranac bumps slightly if I try to load it that way on my Forester.

If I could change anything, I’d go for non-pneumatic tires, as it’s not easy to get a good seal on the valve to pump up the ones that come with it. The other thing is that barring complete disassembly, it will not fit in my hatch because of the 12 inch wheels. Higher volume boats than the Saranac Classic may not have that problem.

Thanks, gnatcatcher
I camped at Moss Lake last year. I remember the trails as being particularly smooth compared to some Adirondack portages, except for one or two places.

But if the TrailTreker performs as in the video, then it’s far better than the Paddle Boy. The PaddleBoy can barely make it out of my garage.

The problem with pumping up the tires seems common—same on the C-Tug due to the sharp angle of the valve stem. But pneumatic tires sure make lugging the kayak easier.

My impression is that a cart like the C-Tug that mounts toward the center is much better in terms of the weight you lug, but worse for rear loading. So it sounds like loading the kayak on a car and towing the kayak over trails are two separate issues. Maybe I need to give up my hope of loading on the car directly from the cart.

Avoid Sea to Summit Orange Cart
As an aside, don’t buy the orange sea to summit cart.

I got one from REI because I was enchanted with the wide pneumatic tires. Unfortunately, this cart has a poor narrow belt and lack of hook to cockpit lip hook.

No matter what you do, your kayak will not stay on this cart. No instructions come with it either.

Orange Sea to Summit cart
>>don’t buy the orange sea to summit cart

Just another point of view, but I have this cart and haven’t had a problem with it. Position it under the middle of the boat, where it’s balanced, and you don’t need to latch it to the coaming, just strap it down.

Welll.
Having to lift an 18 foot poly boat (full with gear after a paddle) so that the cart is in the middle is really a pain; getting it into the water is even more trouble.

I am much happier with my $59 paddle boy with deep V notch, although I wish they made one for rougher terrain.