Kayak Carts

I recently purchased a Future Beach Trophy 126 kayak and wanted to know what Kayak cart works best, it has a Dihedral hull?

C tug Cart OK
The sea tug cart is durable and easy to take apart. It rolls well and fits all the carts and canoes I have tried with it.

It is also heavy, and the tires really really smell like dirty cigarette butts so you will not want to keep it in your car or in your house. The strap that comes with it is really bad because it is so slippery the buckle does not hold, so I replaced that with a standard strap like you use for your roof rack.

They cost about $150

We finally broke down and bought one
for our big 100 pound tandem and really like it.

It is a Roll-Eze, (not sure if I am spelling it correctly). It is their latest model, and the tires are filled with foam instead of being pneumatic, so you never have to worry about a low tire.

The wheeels come off very easy by just removing a ring/pin, for easy storage in your compartment.

I think the cost was $125.

We won one in a drawing after a race about five or six years ago, and gave it to one of our many daughters who uses it constantly, but they didn’t have the foam filled wheels then.

Jack L

Good Cart
I use a Paddle Logic cart that comes apart in seconds, stores in my kayaks, weighs 6 lb, has 12" pneumatic tires and installs on my boat in 5 seconds. Works really well. Watch the video on their website, Paddle Logic. com

Camel Trolley
Quite different from your average cart. Automatically adapts to most any hull you place on it. Heavily built. Good aggressive tread with pneumatic tires.

http://www.feelfreekayak.com/products/accessories/general.php

$140

See you on the water

Marshall

The River Connection, Inc.

Hyde Park, NY

www.the-river-connection.com

Bizarre straps, eh?
I acquired a C-Tug for free with the purchase of a used kayak. Assembling the straps is pretty complicated if you try to follow the diagram.

I noticed the strap has a tendency to slip off the kayak simply because of the narrowing of the stern. A solution I found is to wedge the strap against any surface you can find that sticks up, like a hatch cover or the ridge behind the coaming if you have one. If you thread the strape correctly through the buckle it’s possible to get it pretty tight.

Once you get the C-Tug working right it’s pretty amazing how light it makes the kayak, due to the inflatable tires and being able to place the C-Tug near the center of the kayak.

We have that cart
I do not recommend it. There is typically no place to hook the strap that keeps the cart from moving back and it does not fit the hull of our kayaks very well (QCC’s). Expect to have to reattach it several times.

We have a couple of “In-Step” carts
purchased approximately 15 years ago from Galyans, now known as ‘Dicks’, back when those working in the kayak areas were knowledgeable about paddling. At least in the store I frequented.

The do have removable, pneumatic tires but I’ve never had need to try placing them into a hatch as we live alongside a river.

Caution: Word picture attempts ahead!—When I place a boat on the cart with part of the cockpit positioned over the bars, I take one or two elastic bungies, connect one side to the side of the front bar on the cart, and because most of our river boats have high seat backs, put it up and over the boat (in front of the seat back) and put the other end on the same bar, opposite side. On my sea kayak, I attach the bungy hooks to my thigh brace straps.

This sure beats putting it on a lawn cart and pulling it to waters edge with the 18hp John Deere, while hanging onto the boat with one hand and driving with the other. Mind you. This was done as a newbie. Doesn’t take long to be creative in other, easier ways.

Have a nice afternoon.