Kayak choice. Out of the game since 2014

Hey everyone. Just getting my life sorted after grad shool and looking at getting a new kayak. It’s going to be doing all purpose duty touring/fishing. And it will probably be seeing duty in both FL and Louisiana. Last Kayak was an Ocean Kayak malibu with a rotomolded seat, so I was looking for something a little more maneuverable this time around. Absolutely loved the hobie quest when I handled one some years back so I’m sad to hear that’s off the market now. Is there anything that moves comparably quick for paddle kayaks? I haven’t taken a pedal kayak off the table since I can see them making fishing easier, but I find them less fun personally for touring. The big two brands I looked at were Hobie and Jackson (Sad they got rid of their illuminati color) But I feel like a lot has changed in the market so I would welcome everyone’s input for an all purpose kayak. Have a large sized dog that I would love to take touring, but I doubt he’d enjoy anything water related.

Do you want hunting kayak. I usually use this kayak for hunting purposes and once i also able to hunt elk :deer: when i am on my kayak.

Not much of a hunter from a kayak, lack of opportunity mostly. Would not be opposed to that possibility in the future but it would be a secondary consideration.

I don’t know anything about the type of kayak you want, but if you like the Hobie Quest I’d look for a used one. Used kayaks are a much better deal anyway.

1 Like

Keep reading here. Unless you want a canoe, take the dog out of the equation. However, there are many great canoes.
Since you are in hot country, look at Sit on Top kayaks. There are wide heavy ones and sleek fast ones. Stellar makes those.
I remember being where you are but reality is most people here are always looking for THE ONE.

Try another web site/ forum. Most here are not familiar with what you want.

Sit on tops by Perception, Wilderness Systems.

1 Like

My mom is about to list up three of her sit-on-top kayaks for sale and she’s in Florida.
A 12, 14, and 16 footers. If you have any interest PM me and I’ll get you her contact info.

1 Like