Kayak cold weather gloves suggestions please.

Ok I went out today about 34* F wind 9-10 mph and got home in the snow flurried dark. I had finger-less (Warmers brand) on today. Stop to to hit beach as mother nature called. Ok launched from beach and hands got wet pushing off sand. Hands were OK even wet not warm but not bad. Looking for a tad more comfort for winter but need to be flexible. I had heavier / thicker neo gloves with curved fingers with me just in case of extended water immersion but they make my hands tired gripping paddle. I also had Kokatat tropos pogies with me but never used them. Not sure on the neo gloves thickness I have now. Any decent thinner neo gloves out there that you have used. If they last for the winter I con’t care that is enough for me, may be 20-25 days. The ones I have split on the thumb and I taped them. I now have some Aqua Seals to glue them. Do have paddle wax if need be to help grip. Thanks!

I like the NRS Maverick gloves. Good combination of dexterity and warmth, has a windproof and waterproof outer layer, a cuff that does a good job of keeping water out, all without being too thick to feel the paddle. I might get a season of heavy use out of them before they get too torn up for cold water use. I have a thicker NRS gloves (Reactors not sure if still made) but rarely use them unless I’m surfing in cold water like mid to low thirties. Those are similar to gripping a tennis ball while paddling due to the thickness. For touring type use pogies work great.

Hanz Perfect Curve Glacier Gloves. Waterproof, solid exterior makes them windproof. Light fleece knap to the inside. Flexible enough for good dexterity and with room enough for the addition of a light polypropylene glove liner in very cold conditions. doeant interfere with sleeve gasket of my drysuit.

One modification was to reinforce the thumb/index finger joining with a smear of Aquaseal to toughen up the paddle shaft pivot area.

See you on the water,
Marshall
The Connection, Inc.
Hyde Park, NY
www.the-river-connection.com
fb.me/theriverconnection

When air temps were in the 40s I was using Buff fingerless water gloves on top of Smart Wool liner gloves. Even when wet the Merino wool in the liners kept my hands warm.

Ditto Marshall’s recommendation of the Glacier Gloves. I used them last year in November and when air temps got into the 30s this year, switched over to the Glaciers but added the SmartWool as a base layer. There’s sufficient curve in the gloves so my hands don’t tire but I need to practice pulling my skirt over the back of my cockpit while wearing the Glaciers as it’s a chore. Wearing three layers under my drysuit and being stuffed into a PFD no doubt adds to the challenge.

thanks guys I’ll see if I find a pair.

I know a place in Hude Park, NY that has them in stock along with the cuff less NRS polypropylene liners.

See you on the water,
Marshall
The Connection, Inc.
Hyde Park, NY
fb.me/theriverconnection

oh dam it I just bought some on ebay :>(. i thought if you had them you would have let me know. Sorry Marshall I would have bought them off you. You didn’t come up on ebay search when I looked. I have bought some other items from you. I like to support people that support me with knowledge. I don’t care about paying a bit extra if required. Again sorry. Next time say you have (if allowed here) or just say I’ll PM you and I will know what you mean.

What are the liners you spoke about?

Marshall I may be looking for this next https://kokatat.com/product/nomad-fwuwbm I believe you are a Kokatat dealer from memory?

+1 for Glacier Gloves. I might recommend getting them a size smaller than you think. YMMV.

No worries. Those polypro NRS liners are no longer made which is why I loaded up stock on them. Darned handy under my Ibex wool mittens as well.

As to the Nomad, it’s a super boot as a high boot with attached gaiter goes. I don’t carry tall boots as they are limited in submersion depth. If used with a drysuit they can be bulky around the lower leg as the drysuit already has the booties attached. For not quite so winter weather I usually recommend turning your watershoes into high boots by adding the Hanz Submerge Socks (I’ve got those too) which are usually forgiving enough to add a light merino wool short liner sock to. These sock seal against the skin of the calf so your feet stay dry if you go beyond knee deep in the water.

For the foreseeable Winter weather = Drysuit/Drypant/Bib with attached booties, sockage and watershoes.

I’ll send you an email regarding those Liners.

See you on the water,
Marshall
The Connection, Inc.
Hyde Park, NY
fb.me/theriverconnection

I was looking to use with dry suit just to keep shoes (chota) from retaining water close to my feet. When launching I would not be deeper than the height of Nomads.

Liners go where Marshal under gloves or mitts?

I have a pair of Maw 3 MM gloves that were XL so I went with XXL for the Glacier Gloves. Ring finger is size 18 I have fatter than the length would expect.

Thanks all

I looked and the Glacier gloves are 2 mm like the NRS Mavericks should be better for flex.

Those Maws are just raw neoprene, the glacier gloves and mavericks have a nice coating that keeps the wind and water out, making them warm for their weight. I have a pair of maws that fell apart pretty quickly.

good to know thanks. I should get them this week and possibly try them on weekend, can’t wait!

Cabela’s goretex

thanks

you beat the ice off like “Deadliest Catch”

Got gloves to day I like the design. The XXL may be to big. XL may be better. Thunb is really long or mine is really short! LOL May be I’ll cut 1" off thumb and aquaseal it.