Kayak Construction Quality?

Yeah, the bottom of my 21 lb slalom
boat is S-glass/carbon, rigid, hasn’t broken yet, but the deck is foam sandwiched in Kevlar and while stiff, it dents if you look at it the wrong way.

The definition of “strong” has to be related to the intended use.

Strong vs. strong
I agree with the last two posters. My Warren Little Wing, which is carbon on either side of a foam core (both the deck and the hull), has over 100 small dimples/dents in the hull after one paddling season. It is structurally very stiff and strong on the water, but don’t let it touch rocks or even normal, everyday surfaces. However, the Little Wing is a fine, everyday, day-touring boat.

Salty - sorry to hear that about the carbon Necky Chatham. I have seen videos of a carbon Chatham being struck repeatedly with a hammer and no denting. This does not compute.

Don’t confuse the Chatham’s!
The one I refered to above was a test lay-up, and NOT the boat you saw getting hit on the video. The latest Necky’s made in Thailand are the strongest kayaks I’ve ever seen. Own one and it’s superbly built with epoxy, post cured construction. Over-built really, but made to take punishment.

how did people survive
with 58lb glass boats made with heavy roving and vinylester resin!!

quite well.

royalex?
It was done with the old Pyrahnna Orca and I don’t think anyone has tried it since. Light and extremely durable. I would love to see another playful kayak made out of it.

It isn’t light compared to alternatives,
and it isn’t especially durable either. I say that as the owner of several Royalex canoes.

Old Town sold a Royalex kayak in the 70s. It went nowhere. The absence of Royalex on the kayak market is testament to its suitability.

Maybe you mean ABS? The stuff that goes into the Royalex sandwich? But the whole sandwich won’t work.

Well said Jay
I have always had the same opinion and that is why I am having them build the new Rockpool Alaw Bach TCC. Additionally, we are using a thicker material material on the hull. For me, the the consistant weight, durability, ease of repair make so much sense.

Cheers,

Falcon

Hmmmm
I thought companies still made royalex canoes.

I was thinking of it’s durability and that it weighs the same as fiberglass. I recall an photo of the Orca being bent around a telephone pole then popping back into shape.

As far as availability equating to viability I can’t think of many commercially available wooden kayaks, but I sure see a lot of them on the water.

As far as the ideal kayak material I would prefer durability over weight up until 60 lbs or so.

Duplicate post from Pams thread.

– Last Updated: May-29-10 12:20 AM EST –

Sorry guys, I have not paid attention to the old website and it appears they have now reduced the longer videos to mere photos over time. Did not even know 'till recently ... Asking my wife to dig up the originals to put on You Tube.

Bryan ...Thanks for saving the link.

These vids were shot I think 8 years ago ... Long before the hammer 'hype' ... and I DO think they are relevant. Yep, you are not gonna run into a hammer but these represent a FAR FAR FAR greater hit or impact than you will ever see or feel when paddling on water and thats the very point of it. I never saw a need to show the slowly loaded, all your/boats weight point loaded on a log / rock as this was something any of my boats could endure without drama or damage day after day ... That part is EASY to do.

Down river, loaded boat hits, absorbs and gets on with its day ... What its supposed to do yeah ?

Womping surf, boat full of water, bouncing off the jetty as the ejected paddler treads water safely away from the rocks 'till boat gets spat out ... No problem.

All possible with the right stuff AND the boat can still be light weight.

My videos are real and the ones shown are NOT the first takes ... I hit the same area time after time. We shot them with an old canon camera @ different angles and I picked the best ones.

Believe me ... The guy hitting them has lifelong 'training' and strength via too much framing and an alcoholic father. These are anger driven, full power and speed hits.

edit to add link.

http://www.eteamz.com/paddleshop/albums/index.cfm?id=239260

Some people do well with heavy boats.
I don’t. I’d be glad to trade my 56 lb fiberglass Sea Lion for a 45 lb kevlar version.