Kayak dilemma

Is yours the duralite?
A three hour drive might be too far but I will check those links. We dont have racks on either car so will have to get something to haul it home. Then will just be taking it to and from the lake which is about 8 miles. The place in Harrisburg is close to Blue Mtn Outfitter so will call them. Thanks

What Kayak to buy
I am a beginner myself and I went to a Demo day to try out several kayaks. I had liked the Nifty as well as a couple others.

I felt that the Pungo was a little bit bulky but overall pretty good. It was a bit too open in the cockpit I like to fell a bit more enclosed. It is also hard to find a good skirt. I also tried out a Kestral and found that although nice and light, and well made it was not very nice to paddle and a bit uncomfortable.

Interestingly enough I sat in a Delta 12’10 in the showroom and loved it without ever paddling it.

I bought it and from the very first time out loved it.

The seat is very comfortable and adjusts nicely. You can adjust the backrest with a handy cord infront of you. The holds are huge and keep very dry. It is super easy to manouver and so light (43 lbs) that I can lift it myself onto my roof racks and I can be very independant with it.

It feels very safe.

good luck

Mine is standard
poly, not duralite. I love it, and don’t find it too difficult to move on my own. I’m able to get it up and down of the racks on my Ford Explorer by myself. But I’m 5’10" 165lb male, so likely a little easier for me then you. If you were to use a kayak cart as one person suggested then you may be able to get away with the regular poly version if all you have to do is get from your yard down to your lake.

I didn’t like the foam center pillar in the Duralite version, I felt it was too constricting. But now I have whitewater boat with a one and that boat is a lot tighter, so it was likely just my initial perception being new to it all.

As far as transporting it home the first time just buy one of the sets of foam blocks with belly straps and bow/stern tie downs. They work fine for only moving a boat occasionally. If you are going to be driving distances regularly with a kayak on your roof that is when you need a rack like a Thule or Yakima product.

At least call Jersey Paddler…they maybe able to help you out by getting someone to meet you half way with the boat if you purchase it over the phone…it would at least be worth asking.

You might also check…
… Shanksmare in Wrightsville and Staark Moon in Delta. Both are relatively near you.

I’m just a minute or two from the LL Bean in Columbia, MD. The Calypso is a nice boat - but it lacks a front bulkhead. It just has a foamblock thing that is supposed to provide flotation. That said, doing a T-rescue with it wasn’t too bad the one time that I watched one occur.

Lifting 53 pound kayak
off the rack at the lake would probably be too difficult for me. I do workout at the gym but don’t have much upper body strength (have thin arms). I will be working with a trainer starting next month and have told her I will be kayaking and lifting the boat. She has found all sorts of things for me to do not only for upper body but back and core as well!! She will probably kill me!! I will check with the places you suggested…

First boat feedback
Keep in mind that your idea of a good boat for you may change a few times in the first year or two paddling. Try to get with a club or at least someone with a few boats for you to try.

The only place you could really go wrong is just giving two times what a boat is worth. If you buy quality at a fair price you can get your money back. My problem is I never want to sell one after I outgrow it.

Good luck
with your search, hopefully you’ll find a boat that you love in a color you like :slight_smile: Now do you have to change kayaks with the seasons based on color? Hehe…sorry couldn’t resist.

Once you get that boat in the water you’ll be hooked.

If you liked the Prijion, you can remove
the seat and use closed cell foam to sit on.

Got my Kayak!!
I want to thank all of you for your suggestions and help. Today I went back to Blue Mtn Outfitters and bought a RED Tsunami 125 duralite. I demo’d both the 120 and 125 and felt more stable in the 125. It paddled like a dream (in drizzling rain!) I think I will love it!! :slight_smile: Thanks again!!

Sara

Congratulations!
That’s great news. Congratulations on your new kayak. And I’m glad you dealt with BMO. They are some great folks.

I’ve got over 70 hours on my 125
this year. You will not regret that purchase. Paddle like crazy!!!