Kayak fit for a paddler

Hi all,
I’ve read and chatted with other paddlers a lot about how kayaks perform differently based on what size of paddler it is intended for. I am new to sea kayaking so don’t have the experience to know how to feel those differences, but am all in and want to learn. I’m paddling mostly on Lake Ontario, along with other various lakes and rivers in Ontario.
I’m 165-170lbs, 6’ with 34"inseam, and I winter paddle, so need room for my size 12 boots in winter and decent legroom. I do day touring, 3-4 day backcountry camping trips, and am learning to surf in my CD Sirocco. I have noticed that Sirocco paddlers tend to be my height, but are 20-60lbs heavier than me, typically, so I’m wondering if this boat is too big for me.
I have a chance at what seems to be an amazing deal on a P&H Scorpio LV, but I’m wondering if I’m at the top end of the size of paddler the LV is intended for. What are your thoughts?
Tia!
p.s. @sing @Pru @Marshall one came up reasonably local to me, but I don’t know if I’ll fit in the LV :smile: aaaaaaah!!!

You are definitely under-weighting the Sirocco (BTW great boat)…I felt I was under-weight for it at 200 lbs. There was so much extra space I felt as if I could play handball in the cockpit. There was so much spare space I would have needed to use blocks of closed cell foam for a proper fit vice small pieces/sheets as with other kayaks. The Scorpio MW would be a better fit for you. Suspect the LV will be to tight for you if you can get your legs in and moreso an issue with your winter footwear.

1 Like

I found the Scorpio LV to be a very tight fit for my women’s size 8.5 feet. Definitely an MV for you unfortunately. Otherwise I liked the boat a lot the couple of times I have paddled one.

1 Like

Thanks for the response @kayakhank! Thanks for the confirmation about my underweighting my Sirocco! Everyone seems to love that boat, but it is big!
I may go see if I can fit my big feet & long legs in the LV, but it’s sounding like it’s unlikely.

Thanks @Brodie … 8.5 women’s were a tight fit, eh? Yikes, it seems I have little hope here!

@mogeton it was my one complaint about the boat. I could fit, but only with my feet in one position. Not comfortable for longer paddles for me. My Valley Etain 17.1 was the same way, one of many reasons I sold it.

1 Like

I can’t help as much re boats for your size as others here. I am a bit of shrimp albeit a wider one than 20 years ago.

But Brodie makes an excellent point - you need to be in something that allows you to shift around a bit in there or by two hours out something is going to start hurting. I flattened out the seat in my Vela because of that, in you case it may be your feet that are a problem in mobility.

1 Like

For what it’s worth… I have moved the seat back some to make lower volume kayaks work for me. Not so much for my feet but for keeping my shins un-scraped getting in and out. Something to consider.

2 Likes

Hey yeah, what she said! :wink:

Since you mentioned learning to surf the Sirocco, what I would add is that the CD boat designed with a bit more “play” or manueverability due to its more pronounced and distributed rocker from front to back. This contrast with the Scorpio’s slight rocker up front. Scorpio looks very much like a point A to B touring boat.

https://cdkayak.com/Kayaks.aspx?id=41

All boats are a “compromise” of sorts. The questions is what is you “usual” type of paddling? Daytripping/play VS. distrance/multiday camping? I would go with a kayak designed more for my “usual” type of paddling and venue.

A seemingly attempt of compromise between weekend touring and play would be PH’s Leo Kayak:

This is what I learned about kayaks… There is no such thing as a “do-it-all” Swiss army knife kayak. You pick the design that seems most suited to most of your paddling needs and interest.

Good luck in the search.

sing

2 Likes

My thought is there is no reason not to have more than one kayak. :smiley:

6 Likes

Yeah, well, that is IF you don’t mind becoming a “paddle craft hoarder” like me. :scream:

sing

2 Likes

We all have our demons.

3 Likes

Does the Sirocco seem to big to you? Is there too much room in the cockpit? Do you feel like you cannot control the boat? I’m wondering why do you think it is too big for you other than the observation about the ‘size/weight’ of other Sirocco owners?

2 Likes

I have had my Sirocco for 20+ years. Other kayaks have past through my garage but this one I will not part with. I am 6-4 36 inch legs and 190ish and fits me great. The rocker profile is great on open water and adds to stability.

2 Likes

I just sold my Sirocco last year and only did so because I only have room for one (which is now my Prana). I’m 5’11’’ and 170, so way, way under the weight, but I mostly did overnighters with plenty of gear (and water) on flat rivers (maybe class 1+) and lakes - certainly no surfing! I did add some foam for the hips and never had any problems. Loved the Sirocco, except the weight - my Xterra is a long way up. If I had room I would have definitely kept it for bouncing (gently) down the rivers.
Personally, I wouldn’t be in a hurry to replace!

2 Likes

Definitely. I’ll look at that if I decide to go try the boat.

That’s exactly what I was chatting about with my husband last night after I posted. Where I live, there are few actual surfing days that I can get to, since the days on which they happen are few, and most of the week I’m working, so can’t take advantage of them (yet :). I really enjoy it when they happen, but certainly aren’t the most common type of paddling I can do. My usual is a few hours max day tripping, with some 3-4 day low-distance camping with my 9yo. That’s why I’m contemplating this one: the LV, though possibly a bit small for me, would do all of the things I want it to, but still be a little playful in surf because I’m at the top end of it’s limit, whereas my Sirocco won’t necessarily do that.
I can’t afford to keep a fleet, but I can 100% see why people do! :smile:

It does. People say that it should feel like you’re wearing your sea kayak, and mine feels like an over-sized winter coat! Haha! Nothing over-the-top obvious, but definitely will need hip pads, more thigh pads, and a seat pad to make it fit better. So that’s why I’m considering swapping the two rather than trying to fit this boat when I will almost never actually fill it for an expedition.

Thanks @JimSirocco I can see being just a bit taller and heavier would make a big difference, especially with those extra leg-inches. I’m quite splayed in keeping connected to the thigh-braces.

1 Like

I understand what you mean. I have a Current Design GT, have owned it for 25+ years and it it very comfortable for me, maybe a touch big if I am being honest. A couple years ago we replaced my wife’s Necky Looksha Sport (14’) with a Current Design GTS and she says it is day and night in terms of fit and control. I can get into the GTS but it is a tight fit, I wouldn’t want to spend the day paddling it.

1 Like