Kayak for canoe??

build one?
Maybe build one?

solo canoers

– Last Updated: Jan-03-06 9:41 AM EST –

... are pretty serious and passionate about it.

There is a lot of very good advice to be had if you really want to be steered toward the best options available for your budget.

However, if you want to get a Radisson for the sheer entertainment value of being able to claim here that it's every bit as good as a MR Malecite or Guide etc, then we all may get your money's worth out of it.

1 or 1+2

– Last Updated: Jan-03-06 9:44 AM EST –

Knowing that you need to accomodate one or two children does a lot to narrow down the range of boats that I would consider if I were in your shoes. I think it's pretty safe to assume that, given your budgetary constraints, you would want to focus primarily on used boats. Mike McCrea's suggestion that you consider a beater boat that needs a little work is something I'd consider seriously, as is JEM's suggestion that you build. I presume he is thinking of a stitch-and-glue boat that would be relatively inexpensive to put together. Now on to other possibilities, almost all of which should be available used.

First, as you have obviously already figured out, there aren't very many dedicated solos that would work. The Mohawk Odyssey 14 would do an admirable job for you. I think a Novacraft Supernova might work, but Clarion would be a better judge of that than I am. There are probably some more, but their names are hiding in the far recesses of my brain and don't want to come out.

A definite possibility is a solo/tandem boat such as the Wenonah Solo Plus, the 15-footer from Mohawk, the Evergreen ?Serenity?, the Bluewater Peterborough. The Peterborough would probably be out of your price range even if a used one did turn up, but I listed it because it's the general size and type boat that you might want to consider.

As far as availability of used boats is concerned, a small tandem would be an even better possibility. A lot of the 15 or 16' tandems will do the job. The 16' Prospectors would be on most folks' short list. One that might be affordable new is the plastic Novacraft Prospector 16. I was out paddling a few weeks ago with a group that included folks who were trying out that boat, and it got good reviews and should be quite affordable. The Novacraft Bob Special is a nice small tandem that works well as a kid hauler. The Bell ?Morningstar? should do the job as well. The Old Town Penobscot 16 with a center seat (which you could add yourself) is a great solo/tandem boat. The Mohawk 16-footer is another reasonable choice. I could go on, but that should give you a little bit to think over.

As far as accessorizing is concerned, I normally do my own. You seem handy enough that you could probably go the same route.

Happy hunting!

Dave

Actually, I have done canoeing for…
Many years before kayaking, so it would be “nothing new”… I am just thinking of more adaptable prospects. Throw gear in & go type oppertunities.

And no, I owuld not use a double blade in a canoe…

Paddle easy,

Coffee

Yep, that’s it…
Any thoughts?

Paddle easy,

Coffee

Something like that, without the $ tag…
Beautiful boat, BTW!!

Paddle easy,

Coffee

Already built a pirouge… Just want…
To buy it & have it… Feeling kinda lazy about putting so much time into a “recreation project” that may only get used afew times a year (camping while paddling.

Only one friend that want’s to do that type of paddle/camp anymore…

Paddle easy,

Coffee

You obviously…
Mis-understood…

I don’t want it to make claims… However, if I able able to do more than what people “say” with it (like I have with my Critter) I will state it…

Paddle easy,

Coffee

No… no… no…
Me + 1 pack &/or 1 other adult with 1 pack… The kids will not be on water born trips yet. & when they do, I have a 14’ canoe for that. The kids will not be along on river camp/paddle trips! Just the “lakeside car camping trips”.

“I” want a boat for me & “MAYBE, maybe” another adult with the same amount (or less) gear as I.

Paddle easy,

Coffee

I’d probably not recommend the supernova

– Last Updated: Jan-03-06 11:15 AM EST –

as a first choice. I think he tends to do a lot of wood choked creeks. Due to the pronounced arch, is not as comfortable as say a Guide/Freedom Solo to get in and out of. It also requires a little more water to pass over logs and shallows.

Solo/tandem? That’s why I have interest
In the Radisson… ONLY 12 foot, but can still haul 1 or two people with minimal gear…

Anyboats of better quality for roughly the same price? $450 for the Radisson seem like the perfect price & type of boat I am interested in.

I am not going to play the “name brand game”. I just want an inexpensive, good, light, short boat that can haul one-two people & acouple backpacks for weekend jaunts down the river. No kids will be involved on “water-born trips” until they are older.

Paddle easy,

Coffee

Get a boat for what you are going to do

– Last Updated: Jan-03-06 10:21 AM EST –

... not what you MAYBE think you will do at some point or another.

You give up A LOT of performance and personal enjoyment to accommodate that possible maybe.

Have 'em take their own boat or your critter in that situation.

It’s not the “name brand game” it’s

– Last Updated: Jan-03-06 10:20 AM EST –

... performance.

I just saw a list of your gun collection on another thread. Why I didn't I see a Braztech or equivalent on the list?

I am refering to…
For instance, if Northman wants to go & not wanting to take his boat. Or if the spouse wants to go… Otherwise, it is just me…

I already have my kayak & a “lakeside canoe” 14’…

Paddled easy,

Coffee

Got that used for 500 bucks
admittedly a rare find.

Better one, Raystown III, at least 30
solo boats and a few kayaks. Last year had many more kayaks than usual.

http://www.grovestreet.com/jsp/onepic.jsp?id=533728

keep one thing in mind
Try a few boats out, You will quickly see that the Radison is NOT a serious canoe and you can not realisticlly fit two people …let alone gear in a 12’ Radison. It is a sit-n-spin pond boat for fishing or hunting ducks. It has a keel and the alumunum is paper thin and will not hold up to any shallow creek running. I know this first hand, a friend has one and it has many pop rivet patches and plenty of caulking to keep the water out. He is not a serious boater and only uses it once or twice a year. He thinks I’m nuts but I know for sure that he’s nuts.

Rationalize Radison all you want Coffee,
But when you get it you will NOT be happy with it. It will not glide, will not track, will not trun well either, is heavy for what you get, has no resale value,… What other things do you keep around that just do not do their job, but use them solely and frequently anyway?

Remember, paddle, paddle, paddle to see what works and what you really want.

Too bad I’m not still west of Detroit. My little fleet could really spoil and temp you!

:^)

Mick

well, now we know
So the real situation is that you have decided to buy the Radisson and you want us to tell you that you are making the right decision because it is cheap.

I can’t believe I wasted my time taking one of your questions seriously.

yep, that’s the conclusion I’ve reached
It’s almost yuppie-esque. Rather than do your homework, put in real work and get a good value for your money, you just just go to the store, peel off some bills and take your purchase home.