Kayak for canoe??

Actually the Critter is a better boat
really it is!

was thinking same thing then remembered
… you and a buddy can’t both very well paddle and camp out of a Critter.

Hey Coffee, Serious Answer
What about a Disco 158? Fairly cheap used, rugged as hell, will do well in small streams, is stable at 36" and is big enough for tandem but can also be soloed easily. When the kids get big enough you will have a good stable boat to take them out in. Might be a bit more to spend on but a used one will take you many o’ mile and last for years. Just a thought.

Good luck.

dougd

No, just using as an example of…
The type of boat that I want… Light, inexpensive, short, big enough for two & minimal equipment, nothing fancy…

I have no clue what the boats you described even are. Any links?

Paddle easy,

Coffee

Got a link?
Paddle easy,

Coffee

Discovery’s are a good choice

– Last Updated: Jan-03-06 8:22 PM EST –

A Disco 158 is my first choice for an all around beater. I use mine for any flatwater when I need to carry more than my solo will allow. Plus you can pole it (heck you can run around in it)or fish in it standing and as long as its not windy it paddles ok solo. Mine will be 20 this year and it don't look a day over 18. If you want a true solo, they make(or made) the disco 119 which is a hell of a little boat too.

links
Short is going to be a relative term if you want to be able to carry two adults, even if they are small. You’ll probably need to go at least 15’. I’d suggest looking at tandems in the 15-16’ range. If you decide to go with a dedicated solo, you can go shorter, although even then you are probably looking at 13’ as a short boat. That will get you into some pretty tight spots, although obviously not quite as tight as you can manage with your Critter. If you are patient, you should be able to get an older boat for what you would pay for a new Radisson, and I think you’ll be a lot happier with what you get.

Here are a few links to get you started:

www.novacraft.com

www.wenonah.com

www.mohawkcanoes.com

http://www.oldtowncanoe.com/

You could also consider using the buyer’s guide. Under canoes, use “traditional” and “tandem” and minimum price $300 and maximum price $1100 as your criteria (bearing in mind that an older used boat can be quite a bit less than the new price). When the search results come up, sort them by length (the box above and to the right of the list). When I did that, it came up with a lot more boats than I had thought of. Once you get the results, you’ll have to do some internet searching to find the manufacturer’s websites, unless you’re willing to spend a few dollars for this year’s Canoe&Kayak magazine buyers’ guide. That will give you the websites, specs, prices, etc.

Serious thought here,
Before Galyans went to Dicks, they were marketing a 14’ svelt canoe called the Woodsman III if I remember correctly for around $400. Rumour here had it that it was the Bell Wildfire’s hull design in royalex and with just base trim (vinyl?). Is Dicks still marketing some version of this or am I way off on the design?

Jim

Thankyou…
Paddle easy,

Coffee

L
All the arguments for canoes could be used to get a T-160!!!

You tell me… We don’t have either…
store within a 4 hour radious. You know exactly the type of boat I amn looking for Jimmy, what do you suiggest. Keep in mind my analogy on topic. Never heard of either of those boats. C2G mentioned a “Serenity”… The only “Serenity” I have ever heard of was the movie… Who makes it & how would I search for it?

Paddle easy,

Coffee

Possibly some more info:
Well put it like this…

Posted by: coffeeII on Jan-04-06 7:35 AM (EST)

I have a Coleman 14.5 canoe… With me the spouse & two packs, there is still enough room to put another person, a pack, a campstove, a cooler & maybe a medium size dog… Too big! That is alot of length to try and "whip around some turns. Not to mention that the Coleman is heavier than all get out. It takes two people just to pull the damn thing to the truck & then alot of “inginuity” and “pizaz” to fling the thing upside down to lift it onto the truck.

Northman has a 1960’s something canoe that is about 16 ft & that thing can carry all of the above plus! It is lighter but still pretty hectic to deal with…

Take two adults about 160-175lbs, sit them on the floor (in a canoe position) then take two US medium rucks (A.L.I.C.E. packs) and set them between the two people. That is all the room I am looking for. If two people can’t carry what they need in those two packs, they are carrying too much.

I built a 14 ft Pirouge that is almost the right length for what I would like, but is still a tad bit on the long side. Plus I figured it would be lighter. After I got it all together it weighed about as much as that Coleman canoe.

There is the criteria I need to meet. I am going to look at C2G’s suggestions today. Hopefully one or two can meet those applications.

Thanks!!

Paddle easy,

Coffee

Coffee, I’ll sell you my Swamp Girl
for a good price. Easily handles 2 paddlers and gear , turns on a dime, will do 3mph and track fairly well , can be paddled solo, and weighs about 50 lbs.

three people and a dog can camp out
of a 14.5 foot Coleman and bring their cooler?

Who’s the one not being serious here?

Anyone else here remember the thread

– Last Updated: Jan-04-06 9:20 AM EST –

Way back when Coffee was still Coffee and not CoffeeII, there was a big long thread about Coffee's trip to a paddle shop to enquire about a "short" kayak?

The shop employee showed him something like an nine foot kayak and coffee was completely appalled that this guy was suggesting such a craft for "his" paddling conditions.

The shop guy was like, "dude, you can pretty much take an 11 foot kayak on any creek."
Not "my" creeks, was the reply.

Let's see some Terraserver shots of these unique creeks so we can at least rule out the possibility that you only know two paddle strokes, one for each side of the boat.

Here’s one:
http://terraserverusa.com/image.aspx?T=1&S=10&Z=16&X=3448&Y=24880&W=3

This was the put-in for a day paddle we did this past spring. The main road is one lane each way.

The shop was Rutabaga, the boat in question was 12’ I think (which would be fine personally), and yes, Coffee’s been down creeks in his Critter that I was hanging up on the turns in my Pungo140. Of course, I was sticking my paddle in the banks on each side, so I don’t know if you can call it paddling. :wink:

Could you email me with pics???
Paddle easy,

Coffee

That is not what I am wanting a boat for
The Coleman is for those “Lakeside car camping trips”. I want a small canoe for me a backpack & “POSSIBLY, possibly” another person and a back pack.

If I want to take the dog & another person, I would take the Coleman & a crane to carry the damn thing. If I want to hunt down a river, I sure as hell am not going to be able to lug that beast & a deer with my gear…

Yes, as you can see I am being logical…

I want a small, short, light, decent boat… In the beginning you made afew good suggestions, now you are just posting to post… Please stop & let serious replies be made.

Paddle easy,

Coffee

Actually, it was a sales woman…
That was trying to sell me a 15-16 ft boat. Longshadow can agree that on the creeks & rivers I travel, his Pungo 140 had trouble making the turns.

I asked the salesperson for a nine foot boat & they basically refused to get me what I wanted.

Get on terraserver yourself & check out northrn lower Michigan. There are some "little waterways.

Northman and myself went down one that at one point, for about 600 yrds, we put our paddles on the tie downs & used our hands on each river bank to pull ourselves.

Come on up… Bring your 16 footer & go with me sometime. Just don’t ask me to “wait-up”…

Paddle easy,

Coffee

Got a creek like that a half mile from

– Last Updated: Jan-04-06 10:08 AM EST –

... my house. I've considered doing when the water's up and the rain is still pouring down. But, had never considered building a fleet around it.

I usually drive about 20 minutes to get to my typical paddling creeks.

Guess I never thought about how much time I was wasting.