Kayak for tall medium build female

I would like to purchase a new kayak. I consider myself an intermediate paddler. I am learning to roll and plan on circumnavigating Isle Royale next year. I feel my Delphin is too big in the cockpit even after padding it. I would like a lighter and faster boat. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Budget?

Which characteristics would you like to see in this boat? Better for distance and going straight, or more fun for playing in the rougher stuff? Everything is a trade off, but you don’t usually get a boat that’s great at both of those.

Approx location?

https://cdkayak.com/KayakCategory.aspx?cat=16

Something in that line may be good. Personally never paddle one but hear good things.

Which Delphin are you currently paddling, l see 2 layups. Which weight are you trying to beat?

How tall are you?

Yes, your height and what sort of build you are (might be easiest if you list your weight, if you are willing). And which Delphin are you in the 150 or 155?

Then on replacement boat, are you looking for similar length and use as the Delphin, so would want another boat in the 15 foot range?

5’9”

I am not sure on budget but think between $2000:$3000. I am about #160. I am looking for a boat better/faster for distance and going straight. My Delphin 155 is a fun boat for wind and waves. I am wondering if I should try a longer boat like 17 ft?
I am not sure what approx location you mean? I paddle the Great Lakes and rivers.

Here’s five to consider: NC Kayaks 17’-2", NC Kayaks 15’-8", Current Designs Prana, or Sisu and Stellar Intrepid LV.

Oh, and by the way, I would highly recommend that you take a look at NC Kayaks right now, because they still have a $1000 off the price sale going on. NC Kayaks are very fast, light and love the rough stuff.

Look at Stellar kayaks. They are light and fast and some of the layups are within your budget. There is an excellent dealer, Performance Kayak, near me in Pittsburgh, PA. They stock most models and are right on a river so test paddles are easy. I’ve been to their shop several times and if I did not already have so many kayaks I would have a Stellar already – probably in the future once I get my storage shed built and reduce the current fleet. Gorgeous boats - I’ve test-paddled the S18S surfski and the S15 touring models.

Depending on where you are around the Great Lakes it might be worth a weekend trip to check them out here if they appeal to you. The owner, Hansel Lucas, would probably be able to talk to you about the various models and performance and fitting characteristics.

http://performance-kayak.com/westnewton/

Private message me if you do consider coming down here. I can provide comfortable overnight accommodations (if you don’t mind having a cat around) and am always happy to have a fellow kayaker to join me in local outings on our scenic rivers.

Another option would be to have a skin on frame custom made for your performance desires and body metrics. I have an 18’ skin on frame Greenland style (attached photo)

made for speed, tracking and rolling and it only weighs 31 pounds. There are a number of skin boat makers around the country and you can usually have one built for between $2000 ad $3000 or build your own in a group class (takes about a full week) for $1500 to $2000.

@Linrn3 said:
I am not sure on budget but think between $2000:$3000. I am about #160. I am looking for a boat better/faster for distance and going straight. My Delphin 155 is a fun boat for wind and waves. I am wondering if I should try a longer boat like 17 ft?
I am not sure what approx location you mean? I paddle the Great Lakes and rivers.

You might have fit a Delphin 150 (the smaller size) better than the 155 you have. Any chance someone near you wants to swap for the larger, and you guys could do a trade?

The Delphin is known as a playful sea kayak. Going with a boat with either less rocker or more length than the Delphin would be better for speed and distance. There are quite a few from different manufacturers that meet this, including the Scorpio and Cetus lines from P&H (assuming you have a P&H dealer near you where you got the Delphin). In general, you might want to look at the smaller size or LV versions of boats before looking at regular size version. You should not be considering anything in the largest size or HV.

If buying new, what brands are available near you? That might help us guide you toward ones you could look at and possible test paddle.

If you wanted another boat in the 15 foot range, one that pops to mind if the Valley Gemini. Would be faster and track better than the Delphin.

Delphins are also known as heavy boats. So pretty much any other boat you consider will be much lighter.

One trick to give you a feel for cockpit sizes is to look at skirt sizing (though the size of a combing doesn’t always match the size of the inside of the cockpit, it is often a decent comparison). Seals sizes their skirts using a number size, with the larger the number the larger the cockpit combing. You can check most any boat you are interested in here: http://www.sealsskirts.com/sizing/fitter.php. Look for boats that do not list either neoprene nor nylon size as 1.7 or larger (on the other hand, if you look at something with a 1.2, make sure you try before you buy to make sure you are comfortable with that small cockpit opening size).

Look for used also you may snag a winner. Text paddle what ever you buy.

The Epic 16X might be a good option for you.

I have one of that weighs 40 lbs. It’s quite efficient, easy to keep straight with or without the rudder deployed, yet very playful with the rudder up.

The TrackMaster Plus rudder is exquisite. It has a foot bar for control, rather than pegs. The blade can be deployed to any depth and can be locked into place to function more like a skeg than a rudder.

It also paddles quite nicely with a 46" ZRE Medium bent shaft canoe paddle.

@Linrn3 said:

CD Andromeda for sale in NY