kayak ideas

I’m interested in buying a Greenland style kayak. I’ve demo’ed a Valley Anas Acuta and love it. Any other suggestions for a hard chined, playful, reasonably fast boat for a 5’4", 150 lb person?

Have you considered building a
skin-on-frame boat? Probably the cheapest way to get a fast, Greenland-style kayak well-suited to your size.

Look at yostwerks.com

Look at
Betsie Bay Valkyrie or Aral, of course there’s always the NDK Greenlander.

P&H Vela
…might fill the bill for you as you seem to fit within the height requirements, but then you have to try it out just as you would any kayak. It’s a fast little boat for its size and fun in surf. There might be a few “pre-owned” around as P&H now makes them as a special order item.

Tahe Greenlander

– Last Updated: Aug-18-09 3:51 PM EST –

This just came up on another post.

http://www.tahemarine.com/?module=Product&id=35

A couple friends who I paddle with regularly just bought two. Nice looking boats. They like them a lot but haven't done extensive test but enough. An inch narrower than the Anas so try before you buy.

since Jay won’t say it :slight_smile:
how about an outer island?

Not sure about “fast”, but…
…there is a CD Suka in the Classifieds…

Another possibility might be a CD Rumour; I think the chines go from hard to rounded toward the stern.

Or maybe a NFK Silhouette; probably more “fast” than “lively”…

I’m about 155# and 5’6", and am interested in that type of boat as well, so let us know how your search goes!

suka
I really enjoyed paddling the Suka though I’m wildly too tall and heavy for it. (actually had to put the foot braces all the way back for a short person so I could miss them with my legs) Very nice playful and fairly fast boat for it’s size.

Bill H.

With your weight and build,
you might consider building a Pygmy Arctic Tern 14 (See www.pygmyboats.com ) Playful, yes, and to use your word,reasonably (i.e. not extremely) fast . . . but very playful.

Good luck in your choice!

With your weight and build,
you might consider building a Pygmy Arctic Tern 14 (See www.pygmyboats.com ) Playful, yes, and to use your word,reasonably (i.e. not extremely) fast . . . but very playful.

Good luck in your choice!

Slipstream?
If you’re thinking of a Suka, you might also want to try the Slipstream. Current Designs replaced it with the Willow a few years back, so you can get them nicely used. (BTW: I’m 5’3" and 135#).

“I’ve demo’ed a Valley Anas Acuta…
…and love it.”

Buy it, and enjoy.

yep, suka is fun
I’ve also really enjoyed the Suka in demos, even though it’s too small for me. It’s nice and edgy, fun, pretty fast. I’m 6’, 175#. For someone your size it might be a really nice fit.

kayak ideas
Thanks to all who suggested boats - I have a P&H Vela -LOVE it. I’ve paddled some of the others (would LOVE to get my hands on a Greenland Tahe - no such luck in the quiet midwest). And finally, to the last poster - I did buy an AA, and will pick it up on Saturday! Thanks