Kayak Length vs Maximum Speed vs "Typical Touring Speed"

Lakes Region of New Hampshire - not far from the Maine Border. I have located Extremes for sale in Florida, Michigan, California, and Virginia. I just missed one for sale in Downeast Maine this summer. I am currently exploring one in New York. And there is an Expedition in California.

There is a nice Libra XT for sale in Concord, NH but I need a primary ride first. I have outgrown my rotomolded hand-me-down Perception Carolina 14.

I have been reading the “How far” posts with interest.

1 Like

Paid 900 for my Libra XT

I am partial to longboats with the lines and rocker similar to your boat. It’s definitely more “play” rather than point A-B oriented.

Look forward to your future report(s) on how it performs for you!

sing

1 Like

Even though I’m a complete novice, I did learn during my classes that I preferred a kayak that was playful but “could” tour, rather than a great touring kayak that “could” play. I demoed the Sisu and the Karla before settling on the Norse Embla. I thought that the Embla was going to be just a more modern version of the Sisu, but it has more rocker. So it tracks less well but seems more nimble. Well at least to this hack it does. :grin:

I’m in the process of assembling my dry bags so I’ll soon know how much, or little, I get to take camping.

ps… I quite enjoy your videos. It’s on my list to take some coastal kayak surf classes.

1 Like

I like the looks of the Norse Embla and it has a skeg, my personal preference. Things I would investigate beyond trying one out:

1. Is the seat comfortable? I have a forever-injured lower back and typically need to reconfigure the back band. So I would pay particular attention to determining how difficult it would be to mess with the back band. For potential resale I would want any necessary change to be reversible.
  2. I have a short inseam and might find the storage pod fore the cockpit to be constraining when I want to move my feet around during a longish paddle. The early P&H Cetus was problematic, while my Valley 17.3 Etain is fine. I am not a great fan of the fore pod. That space is where I like to store my bilge pump.
  3. The day hatch just behind the cockpit is centrally located. How hard is that to get at when underway? For many kayak designs the day hatch is off to the side somewhat and my bad back still allows access. This central location might pose a problem. The fore pod alleviates this diddiculty, if I can keep anything in there that I might want while underway.

This list just demonstrates that when you get old and fussy, you examine a potential kayak with very personal criteria.

2 Likes

I’m a “bit” fussy and getting older by the minute. But… I have an affliction where beauty and design get more of a say than practicality or even comfort. It’s been a deal I’ve gladly made my whole life and I doubt much will change as I grow even older.

Granted, there are times I wish for a cure for my affliction. :grin:

I feel your pain. I had convinced myself that I was done with boats, but while recuperating I stumbled, by continual looking, across another potential.
We’re hopeless

3 Likes

Comfort and practicality are over-rated

2 Likes

LOL, I’m guessing the speed vs length formula breaks down with that. :slight_smile:

Here’s my last boat. And yeah, the “average” 30’ sailboat was way more “practical”. :grinning:

2 Likes

That looks like a very special sailboat.

Regarding length/speed/power/capacity…let’s see. The Fiat and Miata are short and aren’t very powerful and can’t carry big loads (Miata can only carry 400 pounds!) but with light loads their ultra low volume makes them far more efficient and faster overall than Paddledog’s longer and much more powerful Ford because all of his extra power is wasted pushing around an unnecessarily large vehicle.

I’m just a retired automotive engineer so I don’t know if there’s any analogy to kayaks; you’ll have to ask cardelo. But my suspicion is that Paddledog’s big, long, and heavy kayaks would be good for towing.

3 Likes

Hilarious!

1 Like

Wasted power? It gets 22 mpg highway. Trailering is a huge PITA. I don’t like small vehicles where cross bars are 2 or 3 feet apart with 19 & 22 foot hulls. I don’t like getting blown all over the road either.

Excursion gets near same mileage as my 2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee with a 6 cylinder. That’s highway and around town.

Long kayaks 18-10" are 50 lb. the 22’ Libra XT tandem is 100 lb. I couldn’t imagine the Libra XT tandem on the Jeep Grand Cherokee.

1 Like

People choose long kayaks because of the gear carrying capacity not for more speed, if you’re not doing month long expeditions you should be ok with a moderate length boat.

2 Likes

I chose long for more speed and better in rough water.

1 Like

Thanks. That’s sort of the consensus conclusion I’ve been seeing. In my case the speed isn’t limited by waterline length, but by the engine horsepower and paddling skill. :grin:

1 Like

Putting a different paddler is apples and oranges. Like different paddles mix the equation.

Here’s Nick Schade talking about his Petrel Play (14’x23") kayak design. Nick gets out and plays quite a bit in interesting venues on the RI/New England coastlines.

sing

1 Like

Amityville Long Island NY

Looks like it’s in good shape. Black seam is not even faded. Probably take 1500 or even less would be my guess. I could look at it if you’re seriously interested. Sliding pedal suck. Sea-lect pedals are about 100 bucks to swap out.

2 Likes

This is the boat I referred to when I mentioned “New York” a while back. I have an offer in to the owner. It has some nasty scratches/gashes that go through the blue gelcoat that I am not sure how to repair. The gelcoat looks to be thin. I know CD had some issues for awhile with thin gelcoat - this might be one of those boats. You can only see the beginnings of them in the bottom right of this picture but they extend throughout most of the deck. Most of them look random - like they occurred in storage.