Kayak Lock

here here…
question though…if I use them and still use straps, can I use one on each of my boats or is there power in the numbers?

P

Kayak Locks
You should use 2 for each boat please.

The Lashlocks work on the principle that the shape of the boat, wider at the center, will prevent the pushing or pulling of boat from the locks.

never shop HD’s website
what they have there is not usually the same as in the store or visa versa. There is never a guarantee the the employee will even have seen it on the website or even seen the website. Not their fault. Your best bet would be to call the store, explain what you are looking for. Try hardware for the line and possibly also the locks, not sure all stores are different.

so are you saying

– Last Updated: Jun-18-04 11:57 PM EST –

your cables are not cuttable??? absitively posolutely uncuttable??
and did you know WD-40 by the way is very corrosive
and that if someone does manage to run up and snip the cables and steal a thousand or so dollar kayak, are you guaranteeing the kayak too???

These are great locks.
I have no connection with the retailer but these are great locks. They exceeded my expectations.

They are stainless steel. I have used Master padlocks, partially made of brass, that corroded and became inoperable outdoors.

They are easily adjustable in length. The combination can be set.

With 2 of the canoe locks, one can put them together to give a locking length of 15’.

You can lock the kayak and then put the lock in your trunk so the kayak could not easily be removed from the car.

The cables are 1/4" (I believe) plastic coated. They can be replaced.

Yes, they can be cut. I have used large bolt cutters before and I am not aware of any cable or chain that you would want to carry on a kayak that cannot easily be cut. With bolt cutters, they all cut like a hot knife through butter. Fortunately, most people do not carry bolt cutters looking for kayaks to steal.

I am very pleased that I bought them. I know that my kayak could still be stolen. Until someone starts making them with an alloy from the planet Krypton, I will stay with these.

Kayak Locks
I have never claimed the locks will prevent theft 100%. The cable can, without exception be cut with bolt or cable cutters. No doubt.

I gather the same would hold true for deadbolts on your front door, but the window pane is only a tap away with a rock and access is gained.

So the whole idea is to make the theft a bit more of a hassle to a would be thief. Nohting will stop someone determined.

Enjoy!

so the idea …
of the lock is to only hold the cables together???

I am just trying to understand this so please be patient. I like to thoroughly research something from all angles before I consider it a possible purchase. As a business person you should be able to understand such scrutiny

Not just a lock
See my post above. In addition to being stainless steel and being able to set your own combination, you can adjust the length of the cable.

So your $60 locks are a better deterant.
Than my $12 kryptonite contractors cable lock (with “built-in” lock & programable combo)?

I left my cable lock, locked around a tree 3 weeks ago. Heather & I went camping this weekend and went back to the site to look for it. Sure as shooting, THERE IT WAS. No rust or wear and no WD40 to open it (no maintenance). That was three weeks with 4 thunderstorms & laying on the ground & NO WD40 to open… hmmmmm. Just twist to the combination un wrap from around the tree & back home to the garage.

Let’s see… $50 cheaper, no maintenance, no corrosion or rust & it does the same thing!

You must be putting one hell of a mark up on your product. I manufacture parts for the government & I can tell you first hand that your product takes probably no more than $7 to make. PLUS you tack on S&H!!! HOLY CRAP!! You must work for the government too…lol

Really though, nice product & can see your idea clearly, but the price?? Come on…

Paddle easy,

Coffee

went and got
a $8 cable lock today. Couldn’t see paying the extra when I already have several padlocks unused around. Also haul my boats in the bed of my pickup so no real tie down needs with cables.