Kayak Mooring

Hello, We live on a private lake and kayaking is very popular. We have two heavy fishing kayaks that I would like to moor to our dock. Ideally it would be best to get them out of the water when not in use because of algae growth, but they are over 75 pounds each. What method of mooring would be best for a retirement couple that plan to use the kayaks 4-5 days a week. Thanks!!

Pull them up. Sometimes my floating dock is 4’+ down. I pull up 100 lb 22’ tandem. Make a launch with rollers to slip them in and out on saddles.

I also vote for out of the water. If they are too heavy and awkward to lift look at building a little ramp onto the end of the dock that hangs down to or below the water line. Attach a painter line to the bow and drag them up.

My canoe is 80 pounds and I had a cooler and paddles and stuff in it the other day another 20 pounds and we pulled it up a 45 degree mud bank. I’m 65 and did most of the pulling. With a painter line and two people pulling and a slight incline it will be really easy.

If you really need to leave it in the water attach a couple boat fenders to the dock and a bow and stern line and tie it off to a pair of cleats.

Our water level is fairly constant because of an over flow. Do you think some whip lines would work?

Our water level is fairly constant because of an over flow. Do you think some whip lines would work?

They are normally made for larger power boats and are not cheap, but yes I think they would work. Do I think it is overkill? Yes.

Whips aren’t going to get it out of the water. Make a pulley rig to gain muscle in pulling it out.

1 Like

Don’t blame you since the kayaks are over 75 pounds each. There are a couple of summer folks on the lake where I live who leave them in the water over the summer. They use marine rubber fenders.