Kayak Oil Canning problem

I am looking for some photos of a kayak that has an oil canning problem and learn how it happened. I have a webpage on Kayak Storage Tips and I want to show other paddlers what can happen if your boat is not stored correctly. If you have any photos or a boat that is sitting in your garage with the problem and you can email me a photo - that is what I am looking for… Please email or call me and/or check out my website under Suspenz.com go to the page on kayak storage tips.

Thanks ~ Lauri Crowe 770-518-0045

damn
I once saw a pic of an Aquaterra SOT very deformed on the hull, I shoulda saved it.

I’ve seen some pretty lengthy threads…
about the terminolgy regarding his phenomenon and I don’t want to futher belabor that, but can I ask the experts: if a boat is in the static state of oilcanning, is it acurate to say that it is alternately deformed and then not deformed?

Shouldn’t be hard to get a photo of a deformed hull…I’ve seen plenty of cheap rec boats with this affliction on the showroom floor.

try this…
i used a small car’s scissor jack. i place it on the inside of the boat with some wood bracing (on both sides) and cranked it open. voila! i let it sit a few days to be sure the dent was gone.

Oil Canning is permanent
Oil caning, hull flex from hydraulic force, may be a result of damage but generally indicates the lamination engineer failed. Short of a secondary lamination to shore the hull or a keelson with struts from the thwarts, there is no solution other than E-Bay.

Kayaks, not canoes…
The OP is referring to kayaks, not canoes, and no, oil canning is not always permanent. (although it can be)

oil canning
I picked up a used St. Lawrence Sea Kayak and it has a huge oil canning problem. I figure it was from sitting on a rack for storage. It is pretty much under the seat or just before it. I have tried to fix it by water in the sun and a weight. Then some hot water and weight. The disfigurement always returns. I’ll try to get some pics of it for you.

RR

Read up
Oil canning is not the same thing as a dent or depression. Oil canning is when the hull flexes in and out as a boat moves through the water.

A dent or a depression in the hull caused by storage racks or other forces is simply a dent or depression (not oil canning)

oil canning
Mine would be a dent then.

RR

dent vs oil canning
Thanks for clarifying oil canning vs. dents… it looks like I am in needs of photos that show dents and flat spots from not being stored correctly.

Ebay
Search “Wilderness Systems Zephyr” for a picture of a dented hull.

big dent!!
Thanks - great photo of the dent!!!

Apparently a solution for
deformation is alsp ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Wilderness-Systems-Zephyr-15-5-Touring-Kayak-Used_W0QQitemZ330258060924QQihZ014QQcategoryZ36122QQcmdZViewItem