Kayak or Canoe

My wife and I are looking at buying either a kayak or Canoe for use on a lake, a little relaxing, sightseeing and excercize. Don’t need a lot of room for gear really but maybe a very small personal cooler or bag. We have a lake house and dock so the boat will be kept on the dock and we won’t be hauling it around. Not real sure which would be best and then what specifics like material, hull type, length, etc…

Suggestions would be appreicated

Do you want one boat or two?
There have been some heated arguments about the pros and cons of canoes versus kayaks, but such discussions are comparing solo canoes to solo kayaks, and it always boils down to the particular style of boating that a person does. In this case, I’m not sure if we are talking about comparing solo boats.

If you both want to go in the same boat, I’d tend to recommend a canoe over a tandem kayak, but some people like tandem kayaks well enough. For a canoe, you can get plenty of advice about candiates once you decide to go with that style. You can often get a good-quality used canoe for the same price as a really crummy new canoe from a big-box store.

If you want to go in separate boats, I’d probably suggest a pair of recreational kayaks, assuming you are comforable with the entry-exit issue and don’t need anything too fancy. It’s much easier to learn to paddle a kayak to the degree needed to go from “Point A to Point B” than it is with a canoe, especially a solo canoe, but for some of us, learning a more diffucult skill is part of the fun.

As you can see, there may be a few different aspects to consider.

If the lake is large and wind swept…
go with two kayaks.

If it is small and normally calm go with a tandem canoe.

My wife and I have canoes and kayaks, (boats for all types of paddling), but we started many moons ago in a tandem canoe.

I personally think that a canoe is the most graceful craft on the water even though I love kayaking too.

Not too much help, but the frst two sentences might get you thinking in the right direction.

Cheers,

JackL

Do you like sitting on the floor
You probably should try to rent at least once or twice before deciding.

One thing that’s hard to determine is what you will be more comfortable in.

Kayaking is a lot like sitting on the floor. You generaly don’t have a lot of options for your body position.

Canoeing can give you a few more options with different seating heights and kneeling.

Everyone seems to be different so try both out if you have not already.

Have fun,

Tommy

both?
We have a tandem canoe and solo kayaks. Moving water, we use the kayaks, still water, we use the canoe. If you are fishing, photographing, birdwatching, etc. I think the canoe is the way to go. One person can steer, stabilize, move while the other person rigs lines, gets the camera out, whatever. Even small coolers are hard to fit into some kayaks, canoes hold everything. Canoes are more lending friendly than kayaks because most people can get out of a capsized canoe without training. If you are planning on solo outings, I’d go kayaks, they are easier to solo in that a canoe.

what type of dock do you have?
Sometimes its a trick to enter a kayak from a floating dock or a fixed one at low water levels…in that case canoes are easier entry.

Do you have a swim ladder? This can be a big aid to getting in and out.

Do you have a beach?

Do you fish? Do you want to go alone while dinners cooking (oops not PC)

Let us know more about what your waterfront is like, and how much you need to move your boats on land. Do you have a canopy over the dock or no…this has an influence on weight if you have to turn them over on the dock every night…are you cartopping to explore other lakes…

I dont think you will make a mistake either way. If you dont like what you picked sell it.

Maybe his sig other likes to go out
solo while dinner cooks.

Mad River Canoe
Get a big, honkin’, heavy as sin Mad River Adventure 16. you can do anything with it, except carry it or ever move it.

Just my thought.

Liveoutside

lake
About the lake…it is a constant level lake with concrete retaining wall. We have two fixed docks, (fishing) and a 3 stall boat dock (covered). I’d guess it’s about 2’ from the dock to the water or so. If im sitting on the dock my feet just hit the water by a few inches. Yes I do fish…used to tournament bass fish but now enjoy fishing for fun. So, yes I likely would take a rod every now and then.

Yes, my wife wants to go out, and maybe our baby (6 month old lab) if or when she calms down LOL

Lake conditions
About the lake…it is a constant level lake with concrete retaining wall. We have two fixed docks, (fishing) and a 3 stall boat dock (covered). I’d guess it’s about 2’ from the dock to the water or so. If im sitting on the dock my feet just hit the water by a few inches. Yes I do fish…used to tournament bass fish but now enjoy fishing for fun. So, yes I likely would take a rod every now and then.

Yes, my wife wants to go out, and maybe our baby (6 month old lab) if or when she calms down LOL

I think you answered your own question .
And everything is pointing towards a canoe.

The only issue not addressed is speed, but in your case it is irrelevent as the faster your boat the faster you’re going to run out of places to go on your lake.

What I have noticed over the years most lakeside dwellings usually have at least two canoes:

• a dreadfully awful canoe that is left out on the dock all season, and,
  • a nicer boat in the garage.

The former is used by kids, visitors, and even yourself when you wish to take a short spin before dinner.

The latter is to be enjoyed, like a fine wine.

So, start with the cheap and heavy dock boat and move on up to a nicer boat next year!

Funny reply
Mad River Canoe

Posted by: liveoutside on May-24-07 6:51 PM (EST)

Get a big, honkin’, heavy as sin Mad River Adventure 16. you can do anything with it, except carry it or ever move it.

Just my thought.

Liveoutside

Why I like my Penobscot.