Kayak paddle upgrade? Suggestions?

I have Perception Pescador and am using a aluminum shaft Carlisle paddle. I would like something lighter weight, but I don’t like the thin blades of most touring paddles. Is anyone out there using a carbon shaft (or lightweight material) paddle with a wide blade they like? (Do they even exist? )

I use a Z&J wing paddle and love it. I spent 1/4 of what a name brand would have cost. Super lightweight and stiff. You can find a direct from China site and get it for even less. This one on Amazon is probably what you’re looking for. It’s just an example so shopping around will be your job.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01H6M5YGY/ref=mp_s_a_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1524503896&sr=8-7&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=z%26j+paddle&dpPl=1&dpID=41h3b0lmYEL&ref=plSrch

@Paddlesquared said:
I have Perception Pescador and am using a aluminum shaft Carlisle paddle. I would like something lighter weight, but I don’t like the thin blades of most touring paddles. Is anyone out there using a carbon shaft (or lightweight material) paddle with a wide blade they like? (Do they even exist? )

Some clarification, please: Do you want wide blades or thick blades? Wide and thick?

If you have a light weight shaft and heavy (wide & thick) blades, the overall weight of the paddle may be a bit lighter, but the swing weight will still be high because so much weight will be at the end of paddle in the wide and thick blades.

@DrowningDave said:
I use a Z&J wing paddle and love it. I spent 1/4 of what a name brand would have cost. Super lightweight and stiff. You can find a direct from China site and get it for even less. This one on Amazon is probably what you’re looking for. It’s just an example so shopping around will be your job.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01H6M5YGY/ref=mp_s_a_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1524503896&sr=8-7&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=z%26j+paddle&dpPl=1&dpID=41h3b0lmYEL&ref=plSrch

The paddle that you linked doesn’t look like a wing paddle.

It does look like a very good value for a paddle that light with length adjustability.

Looks like an Epic Active Tour knock off/clone. I wonder if it’s a patent infringement?

Be more specific. Do you mean that you want the SHAPE of the blade to be wide or the blade material to be thicker? And, out of curiosity, why do you prefer a wider blade? If you perceive a wider blade as making it easier to propel the boat, that isn’t quite right. Have you used thinner blades and, if so, what was your criticism of them? Knowing better what kind of performance factors you are seeking would help in us making suggestions. Also what your budget is.

That said, though I usually use Greenland paddles (ultra thin blades) I also use standard fiberglass or carbon touring paddles as backup or for mild whitewater. I’ve been pretty happy with Cannon models . Airkayak sells factory blems of their Wave carbon paddle for a good price – but they are 4 piece rather than 2 piece (I travel with folding kayaks so I can pack a 4-piece in a suitcase.) They have them for $119 at 36 ounces, only available in 230 cm length. I actually like the design because I can remove one of the 2 straight sections of the paddle and make a shorter one. I was paddling a narrow stream in England last year with one of my folding kayaks and we kept having to go through sections where my long paddle would get caught in overhanging branches. So I just removed one of the middle sections and shortened it from 86" to about 72" which made paddling a lot easier until we were out of the weeds, so to speak. You can get the carbon Cannon Wave in two piece but you will pay closer to $175 for it.

https://www.airkayaks.com/sale-cannon-wave-4pc-carbon-breakdown-paddle-230cm/

There is also a company called HydroPro that sells what are allegedly carbon paddles for around $79 (about the same weight as the Cannon Wave (36 ounces) but I would be a little suspicious of how sturdy they are and the paddle blades look clunky.

Oh my bad… I meant wider blades…

Thanks everyone! And sorry for the lack of specificity… :slight_smile: I tried my sister’s aquabound paddle and although I loved the lower weight, it just felt like I lost some power… So I thought I’d see if I could find a blade that had the width I liked but with a lighter shaft.

You can attain the result of power - increased speed- by increasing your cadence with a narrower paddle with less chance of over stressing your body.

You can also obtain more power by adding an outboard motor.

Check out Werner Paddles website. Very educational, nice light durable paddles. Not cheap.

Not usually a great idea for your body to go for a bigger blade to add power. I have a friend who could not be dissuaded from that course, and two shoulder surgeries later they are able to paddle with a Greenland paddle. That
is after losing two years or so to recovery from the surgeries. Faster cadence and an improved forward stroke are both a better solution for speed and safer for your body. In fact too big a blade slows you down, it feels like it is more powerful but you lose a lot of efficiency in dragging more water than a usual-sized blade.

Racing kayaks such as HPKs, K1s and surfskis use large cupped wing blades for speed. The power doesn’t come from the arms and shoulders but the torso. If one paddles correctly the shoulders should never go out.

https://youtu.be/VqXIF4ToUcE

Lots of good info here. Thanks everyone! And DrowningDave… the outboard motor is tempting, LOL

I paddle a Perception Sport (the Pescador without the rod holders) and I use an Aqua Bound Manta Ray. I started out with the “package paddle”, a Bending Branches Whisper Lite, but I was working myself to much to paddle with that and just wanted a lighter carbon fiber paddle. I have been SUPER pleased with the Manta Ray; I would highly recommend it. I also took the opportunity to go from a 210cm paddle to a 240cm and now I don’t get as wet when I paddle; the drip rings are further out and I don’t have to reach as far to the side to get the whole blade in the water. The Manta Ray is a broader blade than the Sting Ray and makes paddling effortless now. Very happy with my super light paddle …

DrowningDave - yes, if one paddles correctly and the blade size is well matched. For ex a huge blade size is never going to be a good idea for a 5 ft 3 inch 120 pound woman. But those who race put in time on a proper stroke out of necessity. Otherwise you will never do well against the other racers. This is a newer paddler who has not put in that time. Risk of injury is higher.

There are a few very large bladed paddles, but unless you are extra large with arms like King Kong, you will probably do better with a more moderate blade. If you don’t want to spend a lot, there is a great Carlisle paddle–the Expedition. Right now, Amazon has the paddle for $99–$199; whatever that means. If you can get one for under $150, you’ll have a tough time finding a better paddle for the money.

Like BelchFire, I am really pleased with my AquaBound Manta Ray. AquaBound Sting Ray Paddles have narrow blades that are preferred by low angle paddlers, and Manta Ray Paddles have wider blades that are preferred by high angle paddlers. Many single blade canoe people are going to short wide blades, as the amount of effort needed for the same amount of propulsion is less the closer your hands are to the center of area of the blade, simple leverage from high school physics. I bought a Manta Ray Hybrid at Canoecopia two years ago, and a full carbon this year. (The Manta Ray Carbon was $40.00 off retail at the show)

I tried a wing and quickly discovered that my cranky shoulder wasn’t happy with it.
I use a Swift Wind paddle that is a Euro with narrow blades. No more quick acceleration but maybe the shoulder will last a bit longer.

@harry0244 said:
Many single blade canoe people are going to short wide blades, as the amount of effort needed for the same amount of propulsion is less the closer your hands are to the center of area of the blade, simple leverage from high school physics.

For me, the reason for using shorter blade canoe paddle is that I’m usually paddling in shallow water that isn’t friendly to 24" or 26" long paddle blades.

I also don’t use what I consider to be wide paddles - none have over 8.25" wide blades.

Look at QQ Sport or ZJ sport. For the money they make a surprisingly good paddle.

Also, the one you linked is not a wing paddle. You don’t need a wing unless you’re doing fitness paddling or racing. If you are, they are the only way to go.