Kayak portage yoke?

I’m looking for a portage yoke for my touring kayak. The portages I have in mind range from a hundred yards up to a mile. My kayak is 17’ and weighs 47#. Just curious if anyone has ideas on how to rig a yoke that can be installed for carry, and stored while on the water. There is a portable yoke advertised at http://www.boundarywaterscatalog.com/browse.cfm/4,4180.htm

But it’s fairly bulky and weighs 3.5 pounds. It’s made to fit different sizes of kayaks, but I’d like to make a simple yoke to fit just my kayak using a simple wing nuts or knurled knobs.

Thanks

I have one of those I’ll sell for …

– Last Updated: Jun-03-06 5:47 PM EST –

... $45 + shipping. Never used.

Might be able to modify/customize this easier that going from scratch.

Greyak, check your email…
I just sent you a private email…look forward to chatting with you.

Thanks

Scan down through some posts here
you can make one with some scraps from your shop and one cam lock buckle type strap that works like a charm.

I just sent pictures out to three posters a couple of days ago.

Cheers,

jackL

Straps
I like JackL’s strap variation. The yoke I have would work great like that. The slots to adjust the coaming clamps location could be used to secure a strap like that instead (so it can’t slip) or just loop it over the whole thing. The clamps are quicker - but strap might be easier on some coamings and spread the load over the boat better.

How does it work?
I can’t figure out by looking as it.