Kayak / Race Kayak balance?

I have used a 51 cm kayak vajda civer cat which is fine and stable - but yesterday I tried a 49 cm Zedtech TCR (For fun) and dropped into the water 6 times at 100 meters … - My question is how to improve balance? - Is it sometimes trying to sit in harder kayak or how? :slight_smile:

It on a river I train where there is still wind.

Time in the saddle. For any craft. It you want to try an easy exercise that may help. try climbing around on it moving front to back and reverse in shallow water.

For me it was learning how to make the paddle ‘bite’ the water and support me while I lean on it. Like Celia said… time. It takes time.

Dropped in six times in 100 meters? So you were really there for a swim.

100 meters is also an exaggeration… but maybe 500 meters out of the river and in the water 6 times - but it does not change that 2 cm in width makes a huge difference… but maybe I just have to keep trying and trying when I have the courage and finally I can master the balance of the kayak … I experienced the same when I went from a Coast line to a Vajda civer cat it was so challenging but not like the jump vajda civer cat to zedtech tcr… Zedtech tcr is really Lively…

Magooch you row sea kayak I can see - but race kayaking is something more challenging…

@Rene said:
100 meters is also an exaggeration… but maybe 500 meters out of the river and in the water 6 times - but it does not change that 2 cm in width makes a huge difference… but maybe I just have to keep trying and trying when I have the courage and finally I can master the balance of the kayak … I experienced the same when I went from a Coast line to a Vajda civer cat it was so challenging but not like the jump vajda civer cat to zedtech tcr… Zedtech tcr is really Lively…

Magooch you row sea kayak I can see - but race kayaking is something more challenging…

Actually I prefer to paddle my kayaks, but I have also paddled a few surf skis.

Sorry my english i am from Denmark Hope you get the point…

Hey Rene, Totally understood. For me, stability is not about balancing myself. It’s about putting the paddle in the water and knowing I can lean on it and it will keep me upright. An exercise that can help you get this is rocking side to side and using the paddle (from side to side) to keep upright.

Rene, many of us are not good at English either.

Hey String, Would you agree that Canoeswithduckheads is the English master of PCom?
I read his stuff and do my ‘not worthy’ bow.

I’ll second that Rex. In this part of the country, there are many forms of English, ain’t there?

Hei Rene;
With a tippy narrow kayak, when you are not moving, always keep a paddle on the water or in the water skulling. Look up videos on bracing with your paddle and skulling and surf ski paddling techniques. Always remember to keep your hips loose and dance with the waves ; when you stiffen up and raise your center of gravity or grab the boat and not the paddle you will tip over. Keep your boat moving as much as possible and the forward momentum will give you more secure balance, brace and skull with authroity when you slow down, make sharp turns or stop paddling.

Speaking of English…when you search videos try typing in “sculling” and not “skulling”. We native speakers ain’t never perfect at it.

I had a similar experience going from a recreational boat to a 17’’ sea kayak. My mind knew they were different, but my body had 25+ years of canoeing and a year of being in that recreational kayak and I was dumped 7 times in a three mile outing! The cool part is, I have since only capsized once (watching a formation of helicopters flying directly overhead). That one day of swimming re calibrated my body. I hope the same works for you.

Boat time is critical.
Also, be aware that hull shapes can make a massive difference. Case in point: The Nelo Viper 46 is actually more stable than the Viper 48 (wider) due to it’s flattened hull surface.

Try doing one-arm drills and be sure you fully rotate each side. Bring the blade back to the same side with full forward reach and pause for a moment in this position. Reinsert the blade and repeat five times on each side.
Going back and forth and putting both blades in is a bit a cheat on your core. If you need a little stability assistance, you can tie a bungee under your hull. Don’t be afraid to fall in until you improve.

Be patient–it will come.

I started in wide canoes and moved to tippy racing canoes. Then I moved to the coast and got into surfski starting with a 48cm high primary boat, then a 48cm low primary boat, and now am down to a 45cm surfski.

I have fallen out many many times over the years, but it gets easier each paddle and now I can handle extremely sloppy conditions in the 45cm surfski. Seat time is the main thing that will help.

That said, if you are falling out so often that you cannot focus on your stroke mechanics or simply enjoy a paddle, you should go up to a wider boat, master it, move down one level of stability, and repeat. Taking a large jump down in stability leads to bad habits and unenjoyable paddling.

I do these exercises and they work great. People at the gym think I’m off my rocker so I turn up my headphones and block their laughter.

https://youtu.be/SuliElxn3s4

1 Like

Fantastic Drowning Dave! I love this. I’ve been doing these exercises over the wintertime and have really seen a benefit. I’ve never seen the video but I like how they break it down.

When I first sat in an Olympic boat, I did the same thing. Things that worked:

Lower the center of gravity. Take out the seat and sit on the bottom

Shorten your paddle stroke: Grab small amounts of water until you get up to speed. Then the secondary stability will help.

Lower your paddle angle: Use it like a brace until you have some speed up. Then the secondary stability, based on the bow wave, will help hold you up.

Agreed. And paddle by the adage: when in doubt feet out.