Kayak rack for 2010 Honda CRV?

I wanted to get the Thule Glide and Set roof rack but the Thule fit guide doesn’t show a rack that will fit my 2010 Honda CRV. The Glide and Set looked perfect for me, a 65+ woman with an 11 foot 45 lb. SOT kayak. I would appreciate any suggestions on another rack brand that might work with the Glide and Set, or any set-up that would work with my car model/year and make it easy to load the kayak by myself. Thanks, Margie

Thule
Check this link

http://www.thule.com/fitguide/m/Default.aspx?Language=en-US&Market=US#pageRoofRackDetails

Rackification
The rear mount for the bar is set in more towards the center of the car so the Glide and Set isn’t really going to facilitate your loading an 11’ SOT as the bar isn’t going to be accessible. If your SOT has flatish gunwales (I know it’s not a canoe) then the Yakima Showboat and bare bars (plastic SOTs don’t really care about saddles) would work better. The Showboat also doesn’t really care what it latches onto so Thule, Factory, Yakima bars, etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Skl4tkLdRw

The video is a bit Yakima Centric but should give you a good idea. The crossbars on the Nissan are in a relatively similar position to that on the CRV.

See you on the water,

Marshall

The RIver Connection, Inc.

Hyde Park, NY

www.the-river-connection.com

hudsonriverpaddler.org

checked Thule
Thanks for the link, but when I checked the Thule site there wasn’t a rack compatible with the Glide and Set for my make, year, and model of car. Also it looks like the Glide and Set might be a needless expense for the kind of SOT kayak I have to transport. Thanks for responding! I appreciate it.

Yakima Showboat Roller
Thank you for your response, Marshall. The Showboat looks like a good solution. I have an Ocean Kayak Caper. Checked the gunwales and the flat surface is about 1.5 inches wide. Would this provide enough surface area to support a 45 lb. kayak on the crossbars without eventually deforming the gunwales?

Margie

That’s odd

– Last Updated: Nov-10-14 6:56 AM EST –

The Glide and Set will fit on Thule, Yakima, and most factory bars. I've used that set-up for years on various vehicles.

I do agree, though, that it might not be the best solution for a Caper.

Plenty.
Sounds like you’re good to go.

When you get the boat up on the bars, when strapping, if the width of the section you’re strapping is narrower than the width of where the towers intersect with the bar, wrap one side of the tie down strap once around the bar so it cinched on that side of the bar. The other side of the strap going around the bar will likely have the tower to pull against and be well trapped. This’ll help keep the boat from shifting unnervingly on the bar when driving at speed.

If you’re ever in Hyde Park, NY stop in the showroom and say hi.

See you on the water,

Marshall

The River Connection, Inc.

Hyde Park, NY

www.the-river-connection.com

hudsonriverpaddler.org