Kayak recommendations...beginner boat that I wont grow out of right away

There is such a wide range of both boats kayaks and canoes and a lot of overlap. I see a lot of rec-kayaks that are as open to swamping as a canoe and much harder to drain and rescue. Adding bow and stern floatation to a canoe as I did with mine for casual use doesn’t deter from being able to haul a good amount beside myself and is enough to make rescue possible.

The true pack canoe designs are a cross between canoe and kayak. They were way out of my price point though.

If the OP had suggested he wanted something for fast water or big open water with waves I wouldn’t have made the suggestion. It sounds like their usage is much like mine casual slow paced flat-water drifts or enjoying smaller lake shorelines.

Without a doubt kayaks outsell canoes here (where I live) by 50 to 1 and those are primarily rec-kayaks with open cockpits and most are 10-12’ and a lot of that is based on the paddlers weight.

I have only really been out on the water paddling just last year and I’m really surprised at how many positive comments from people in rec-kayaks I have received saying they didn’t know you could have a single central seat and paddle a canoe with a double blade. They seem to get a kick out of me having a good sized cooler right in front of me as well.

Everyone has to figure out what type of paddling they want to do and then plan their boat around that. I spent the majority of last summer tuning our boats to our needs and looking forward to this summer just getting out and enjoying the water.
There is a learning curve. Likely why I see so many folks with quite a few boats. :canoe:

1 Like

All boats are good. The Adventure seemed a little Tippy for my comfort. The beam is wide, but the seats are high. The Royalex Penobscot also felt tippy. The seats are suspended from the gunwales usiing 2 inch through-drilled dowel spacers. I made new 4 inch dowels coupled with longer stainless bolts to lower the seat. It feels better and doesn’t interfere with the paddle clearance.

When I got a 140 Pungo Duralite, the canoes were basically retired. The Pungo is an open cockpit, had a lower profile with less area to catch the wind, the deck deflected waves, it was 9 inches narrower but more stable, only weighed 39 lbs (per literature), faster and easier to paddle, and since most of my trips were solo, I preferred the kayak. When I think about it, I believe the Pungo is far safer than a stock canoe without additional flotation. I added a bulkhead to the Pungo when the front foam float/deck support came loose.

Once I switched to the closed cockpit of the Tsunami, I had no reason to return to the canoe; however, there is a sense of nostalgia about the canoe. Additionally canoes are great for going out with another person. I did take my grand daughters out in the canoe, but after they were old enough to handle a kayak, they got hooked on the stability, speed and independence. If they become interested in learning advance techniques, I’ll let them teach me their tricks. All boats are good.

My favorite conditions are long gentle swells. When I get out on the water like that, I stay as long as I can.

I felt exactly the same about a tandem canoe paddled solo when I took mine out for the first time. I was getting turned by the slightest wind like a weathervane and both seats going ether direction were not any good. I had read how sitting backwards in the bow seat would work better and tried that and it was only a little better. I moved that seat 8” closer to the center where I was crowding the center yoke and that didn’t help much.

I then took out the center yoke and moved and lowered the seat to balance the canoe much like how a solo kayak would be positioned or a solo pack canoe and it was like a different boat completely. The stability was 10 times better and the wind was no longer a problem. It is beyond me why they don’t make more moderately priced canoes like this with some length to them? Maybe they do I don’t know. The Old Town Next at $1100 is pretty close with a 400 lb weight capacity and 13’ length. Weight isn’t bad at around 60 lbs. For me that same boat at 15’ and a little wider is perfect. That extra length makes some room for floatation and the width a little more stability for fishing and such.

I have never seen a Next in person let alone been in one. Looks like a nice boat for the price for someone doing casual flat water. :canoe:

What isn’t mentioned is materials. Plastic will be more durable and forgiving but stepping up to fiberglass will save you about 10#s. Kevlar saves another 10, but is overkill for you. Besides the weight, a composite boat will handle much better but also be about $1k more expensive. Obviously really general terms.

The Tsunami was the first one I thought of. I loved the outfitting. Definitely go 14’ over 12’ from a development perspective.

The more you paddle and the conditions you paddle in will determine how soon you outgrow your beginner boat. If you always paddle the same conditions and the same pond, you may never outgrow it. Especially if you don’t paddle much.

You will determine how soon you do or don’t outgrow your first kayak, not the kayak. Get something decent for the first, but know that it doesn’t need to be perfect because, the odds are it won’t be the last. {the first will teach you what you want for the next, not the internet}

Look at the first the same way you would look at enrolling in a class. {the cost of tuition}

1 Like

I think we sometimes get “bored” with rather than “outgrow” a boat. I remember in my early paddling days, practicing weekly after work at a lake with some club members. One guy showed up alone, not a member of the paddling club I was in, with what would be classified more as “rec/tour” boat, meaning it’s relatively short and wide (Like my old CapeLookout). After others left, I lingered around and watched the lone paddler. The sun was starting to set and this lone paddler was silhouette against a waning sun. But what a silhouette, he was stringing in a bunch of bow and stern rudders and moving his kayak in graceful circles and figure 8s, forward and backward. He appeared like a kayak ballerina, dancing across a sparking stage of water with a backdrop of a setting sun.

It dawned on me that certain boat designs will make a boat perform better in certain ways. But, a skilled paddler can make his/her boat perform regardless.

Of course, I’d rather “cheat” and make it easier by buying a kayak that is designed to perform with less effort/skill on my part in the types of venue that I favor. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

sing

5 Likes

Do yourself a great big favor and take a real good look at the Current Designs Sirocco. For the money it can’t be beat and you will not grow out of it. The Sirocco puts you in a boat that can do just about any kind of paddling you might want to do. They have been around for quite a long time and for good reason. Yeah it’s probably a little long to throw in the pack of a pickup, but honestly so are the 14 footers that have been suggested. Get a trailer.

Whatever you buy, be sure the hull is not bent-- be sure the keel line is absolutely straight–even on a brand new boat. Never, never store your kayaks outdoors in the sunlight. Be as picky about the paddles you get as the boats you pick. The same goes for your pfds. One more suggestion, even if you select a polyethylene boat, never drag it. If you can’t carry the boat on your shoulder, invest in a really good dolly. My poly boats are pushing 20 years old and they still look like brand new. I treat them the same as the composites.

2 Likes

Thanks all for a bunch more great advice. I am really excited for the show this weekend and getting to see all these boats back to back.

Update for all that posted to the thread. First off, thank you for the great advice. The Canoecopia this weekend was a big success. We brought home 2 WS Tsunamis, a 140 for the wife and a 145 for me. After sitting in many these were the most comfortable for both of us and they had them in stock at the show.

We also purchased Aquabound Sting Ray paddles and I got a Stohlquist PFD. Cant remember the model of the PFD but it was really comfy, had a high back that worked well with the seat and I really liked the “side entry”.

Now comes the hurry up and wait for the ice to melt and the water to get up to a safe temp. This week is all in the 50s so should be getting a good start on it.

Thanks again everyone, I learned a lot from all of your comments!

5 Likes

Daffodils blooming. Make sure you have all the gear ready. Sting Ray is a nice paddle.

I always tell people asking for advice on the type of kayaks they should buy is to ask “What don’t you like about your kayak?” Everybody loves the kayak they own, so you get a better answer and choices by finding things that might be a real deal killer for you. My kayak choices are not the same for you or your wife, try different ones at outfitters and rentals and go from there.

1 Like

Eddyline Equinox…hands down. Great for day tripping and for trips up to a week. 45 lbs. Fun to paddle, comfortable and great looking.

2 Likes

Have looked into Wilderness System Pungo. The Pungo comes in a 14’ and 12’ model both are extremely stable can hold a good amount of gear. We have the 12’ for my wife and she loves it. Check out the reviews on this site and see if Dealers in your area offer demo rides or rentals you can try for a day. I do suggest you get a well made kayak rotomolded from a reputable dealer and brand. Beware of the bargain kayaks at larger box stores you get what you pay for a 200 dollar kayak is 200 dollars for a reason. Don’t skimp on paddles and a good PFD.

2 Likes

I too have a 140 Tsunami, I am about 5’5” and 150 pounds. Incredibly comfortable seat. Paddles well in different conditions. While I have upgraded to a longer sea kayak for Lake Michigan and other larger bodies and for speed, I still use the tsunami all the time in Michigan lakes and rivers. Good luck.

My wife and I paddle inland lakes and calm rivers mostly. Living on Lake Huron there is some bigger waves you may encounter if weather blows in.
I have paddled a Riot 14.5 Edge for about 12 years, I recently purchased a Riot 13 Edge.
Both will handle the weight and both have double hatches for storage. I have a Rudder but rarely use it, Linda enjoys having a drop down skeg as she has less experience paddling. Excellent quality boats, real comfortable seats. 45-50 lbs each.
Enjoy

You did good with your purchases Grasshopper!

Congratulations on your purchases! I’m sure you’ll love your kayaks and enjoy making new memories on the water. I would suggest you look for American Canoe Association instructors/courses in your area to help make your time on the water safe, fun, and informed. Have fun on the water!

2 Likes

Hey all, just wanted to post an update on our paddle journey. We purchased boats and have been using them almost every available weekend. They are really easy to paddle and seem to track well. I really like the kit we assembled. I think my wife wants to upgrade her PFD but other than that we are having a blast.

One area we are still learning about is getting in/out of the kayaks with some semblance of grace. I have found that I was tearing up my shins getting in and out due to scaping them on the bottle holder in the cockpit. I think I will remove that as I dont really use it and its making it much harder to get in an out. Im a bigger guy and that combined with low flexibility is a bad recipe.

1 Like

Understood that the 140 and 145 Tsunamis have cup holder as a possibility, it is under deck yes?
Just scrolled up to see what you had gotten.

They are comfortable boats. Note that should you start thinking about skirts, you will bump into issues with that high seat back. But you can cross that bridge when you get to it.

I’m a taller guy, 6’5", and my first boat was a
Perception Acadia 120. I was just too long for the cockpit and my shins always took a beating.
I haven’t paddled a120 anything since and don’t have scrapped shins.
I’d also get rid of the cupholder.
My 5’10" son never had a problem.

1 Like