Kayak recommendations...beginner boat that I wont grow out of right away

My wife and I both have Delta 12S. We like them a lot! However, with my bad back and knees, I am thinking of a solo canoe. Kinda tough getting out after a few hours. I am 5’6’ 145 lbs. My wife is 5"4" 120lbs and has no issues.

A solo canoe solves the scraped shins. I’ve had two, both great boats, but the lack of back support moved them on.

How about a Dagger Alchemy S? I know of one for sale with skirt and paddle for $1300 . canadian. in the Windsor On. Ca. area.

I can’t decide between the Tsunami 125 and 140. Is there a big difference in glide and paddling efficiency of the 140 compared to the 125? I’m 5’10 145. Unable to try them out before buying.

I vote 140 but my perspective is different. I weigh 70 lbs more.

1 Like

Dkear3223, WS changed the design of the Tsunami 140. It was covered in at least 2 other threads, but I dont recall the names. Perhaps another forum member can guide you to those topics.

You should decide which is best for you based on your intended use. My first closed kayak was the 125 Tsunami, 12’ 9", 26" wide. At 6’ 1" and 255 lbs at the time, I was impressed with the boat’s capacity, handling and comfort. Due to my size, I stepped up to the 145.

The 140 Tsunami was designed as a smaller version of the 145. The older models were 24 inches wide (145 was 24.5 inched). The new models of the 140 and 145 are both 25.5 inches wide. So there is only a 1/2 inch increase in width between the models. You might notice a .3 mph difference in speed in the 14 ft models. Definitely test paddle any boat before buying. I’m looking for another 140 for family, but I’m looking for a used model that’s 24 inches wide. My grandaughter and sister have that version. Both are ruddered, which are never used. The 140 give you an edge in choppy water. All the Tsunamis have rock solid stability.

1 Like

I’ll be paddling mostly lakes and reservoirs that see a good amount of wind most of the time. Storage capacity isn’t a priority. I’m new to kayaking and have been using an Ascend FS10 lately. It plows the water with speed. After reading a lot of posts and watching many videos, the consensus seems to be 12ft minimum is the best for most recreational use. There are a ton of recommendations to go straight to a 14 ft boat for multiple reasons.For me the downside of a 14 is another $200 more than the 125, and a little more hassle transporting. Sad to learn WS has made these boats wider. I really appreciate your detailed response.

It’s worth the $200 for the extra length. It will track better in windy conditions.

3 Likes

The Tsunami 125, 140 and 145 models are regulars on the used market. There were a lot of those produced.

Not sure where you are located but, you can probably save more than $200 by going the used route.

2 Likes

17’ + - Current Designs boats are about 4 lb. difference glass to kevlar. Kevlar stiffer stronger and worth the extra money. Ten pounds you’d have to go to a 22’ tandem Libra XT.

1 Like

With the 125 measuring 12’9", we’re talking 15" difference in the 140. I’ve read that people near my height and weight claimed they preferred the fit of the 140 over the 125.

I have a friend selling her Tsunami 140 Pro. This is the fiberglass model (with rudder). I see very few (if any) of these on the market. It is discontinued I suspect. Maybe few were even produced.

1 Like

Probably also that its a very nice boat compared to rotomolded plastic. The pro models are superior to the plastic boats, but the plastics are tough.

I test paddled every boat I bought. Except the ones I dont like.

Surprised WS dropped their pro line.

Dang. Every move they made recently has been in the opposite direction of what I’d like to see. Apparently appealing to the broader recreation market. Just found out they cut the 125 Tsunami from 12’ 9" to 12’ 6". Their boats were always a good option for anyone transitioning from recreation boats to more serious kayaking. The pro line and Tempest series had some great qualities. If that is confirmed, not impressed by any of their changes and dropped models in recent years. Thanks for the update, Dkear3223.

2 Likes

Probably trying to adjust for inflation. Less boat for the same or more money.

Dunno just dunno.

Dkear3223, based on contact with a WS representative, I looked at on line specs. REI typically has consistent reporting on products, so I go there first.

I went to Wilderness Systems site and they list the 125 is STILL 12 Feet 9 inches. Thanks for the follow up and correction.

1 Like

Could it be an error? It would seem like an expensive undertaking to replace a kayak mold(s) for three inches.

Yes, oldboo. I mentioned the dimension change on the REI web page to Dkear3223, who contacted WS directly. A WS representative verified there is no change to the 12’ 9" length, as correctly listed on the WS page. The tech spec on the REI web page is incorrect, and should read 12’ 9".