Kayak rentals near Pigeon Forge,Tn.

-- Last Updated: Nov-22-05 10:20 PM EST --

I may be going to Tennessee next year to ride the Dragon's Tail on my bike. I was wondering where there are campgrounds and kayak rentals nearby to Pigeon Forge. Won't be taking any yaks with me, just my bike...also where to paddle near there...

Try the Flume Ride at Dollywood.

What???
Is that a serious answer?

Hey Linda
If you are going that close, get over to the Nanatahala River, and also bring your mountain bike and do Soli, (not sure on the spelling, when “the bride” wakes up I will correct it).

It has some of the best mountain bike trails in the southeast.

At the Nantahala river you can rent kayaks, rafts and duckies, and besides the Nantahala Outdoor Center there are bunches of other outfitters all along the river.

Just don’t go there on a weekend. It is a mob scene.

All of them do shuttles and if you are timid, (which you don’t seem to be) you can get guided trips.

Cheers,

JackL

Yes.
And it too can be a mob scene on weekends.

Yea, What Jack said…
You will be within about an hour if you are at Gatlinburg. Once you get on the Nanty you might forget about the biking. Oh, and the NOC store will blow your mind and wallet.

I went down for a week last Aug. and will be planning the same trip this year.

Have fun.

Jay

But with both amenities…
…right there, you think you have died and gone to “Outdoor Heaven”

There are also mountain bike trials that take off from all along the Nantahala and most of the outfitters rent bikes too.

Cheers,

JackL

Dragon
I ride the dragon 10-15 times each year…my home away from home luv it… checkout the pumpkin center campground if u r camping very “biker” friendly and I’m sure they can assist you in hooking up with outfitter to play on the river…I’ve wanted to do the river for years but my first luv always wins out and I stay on 129 and play… BTW the dragon is a about 2-21/2 hours from Pigeon Forge if u r going to this area for the riding and not Dollywood stay in Maryville unless camping…it’s not so much of a tourist trap…keep the rubber side down “grin”

Lindabaron
Guess, in summary, the only idea you will recall by the time you get to TN from this thread is Dollywood. Tel 'em cooldoctor sent you.

Fontana, NC area and campground
Linda,

You might want to consider staying at the other end of the Dragon…at Fontana Dam, NC on NC Highway 28 just a few miles from US129 at Deals Gap. Other posts have outlined mountain biking at the Tsali forest service area and Fontana Village has become a MTB site as well. Also you would be closer to the Nantahala whitewater and you could also kayak Fontana Lake, Santeelah or Cheoah lakes too. There’s also great hiking and backcountry camping in the least crowded part of the Great Smoky Mountains National Park.

I used to work up there (Fontana Dam) and go back for at least a week or so every summer. There are so many “outdoor” things to do that you might not want to just limit your visit to riding the Dragon.

Phil