Kayak(s) you would never sell

Yes, nine mile lake that outflows into the Susquehanna. Is all 70 miles navigable? From Harrisburg to the Conowingo, the river is marked by dams and shallow riffles.
Didn’t know much about the river north of there.

I wouldn’t sell that either. Gorgeous.

It’s humble beginnings are a twisty fast creek that gradually widens into the dammed Goodyear Lake with then turns into a much bigger river with alternating fast sections and slower currents. The 70 miles to Bain bridge are fully navigable with 3 short carries around dams

This is the first of a number of videos that take you down the Susquehanna from Otsego lake during the regatta and gives a good idea of what it looks like. Certainly quite different then below the NY border

I followed it on Google satellite. At times disappears under tree cover. Initially some riffles, but not enough resolution to see details or if they change with the season rains. Nice boat by the way. Thanks.

1 Like

Made the mistake of selling my original low deck Solstice ST with the huge rear hatch opening. Bought this GT as a replacement for long open water solo trips and it’s not quite the same but close enough! I won’t make the mistake of parting with her again(unless I can buy back my old ST)

1 Like

I’ll start with these six :joy:

1 Like

Ok I see a CD kayak but you need to reveal the secrets under those wraps :slight_smile: the suspense is killing me!!

1 Like

Solstice GT kevlar
Extreme kevlar
Expedition
Libra XT tandem
Extreme HV kevlar
Extreme HV

Looking for CD Infinity.

Nice! May I ask why you like CD so much? I had a CD Oracle GTS as my first serious sea kayak but I just never bonded with it. Had this odd leecocking behavior, I am only 150lb so perhaps I am too light for it.

Love the look, love the performance, didn’t like the Caribou S

Libra XT great in any water no worry’s about my partner in any water.

Solstice GT fairly fast, comfortable, can fall asleep in it which I did once watching birds. I woke up in the middle of 200+ ducks I was watching and trying to get close to. They let me drift right in asleep.

Expedition will carry big load and remains fast. Fast empty lots of room, dry ride great in rough chop. Has larger rudder than Extreme turns super easy even in wind with higher deck. Large / long cockpit opening.

Extremes are fast good in rough water, cruises nice dry ride.

Local dealer used to sell CD so I rented there when I started what they had.

Watching what other people are doing in their kayaks I feel I’m not missing anything performance wise at least in cruising. My gig is exercise paddling, cruising fast and long, and choppy water. I’m sure other hulls my be more playful or excel in others fields better. Might like and CD Infinity or Cetus HV. Need one skeg hull at least. I do practice with no rudder from time to time just in case cable breaks I’m not in total shock.

I could just stare at the hulls and smile all day.

Expedition I think is 7.5 + mph need more data.

Extremes are solid 7.25

Solstice is 6.75-6.90 just can’t say ever broke 7 mph.

Libra XT decent cruises 3.5 -4 mph with partner sprint maybe 6 mph I forgot. Want to try with stronger paddler.

Paddled more than usual thus summer took off work. Lost weight trying to get faster. 69 soon but don’t think I lost speed I think I have better technic. Striving for both again strength and technic. Lost weight this year no clue on pounds. Went from sucking my gut in to button my Carhartt pants to out of dryer loose. Can pull pants button past each other by 1.5" great feeling. Belt near last hole now probably have it twenty years so that’s a good thing getting into a 29 5" x 16" cockpit.

2 Likes

So, what was it about the Solstice ST that you liked so well? My Dad has one (a 1995, I think? Can’t remember - I looked at the HIN a couple months ago). It’s beautiful. When I was looking for a kayak last summer, he said he might give it to me. Wasn’t the beginner / river kayak I was looking for. Some day. Ready to move up now, but I don’t want to rush him. He’s 85, and doesn’t use it anymore, but I don’t want to prevent him, and would like to paddle with him. But he doesn’t seem too excited about paddling anymore. Anyway, I tried it out when we went to a small inland lake recently, so not really its designed purpose. Wants to go very straight (as in, won’t turn without using the rudder, but more likely my skills are still insufficient). Comfortable. Boring on that particular water. Would love to take it to Lake Superior, and see how it feels. Just wondering what you miss about it.

Hi, 2 big differences, imho… the St I owned had the rectangular rear hatch which was easier to fit large items into. It also had a much lower rear deck to layback on as well as I believe a bit lower volume front deck so was much easier to brace against. If I could find an early 90s model in decent shape, I’d buy it in a second

1 Like