Kayak(s) you would never sell

Hi folks, love to hear some kayaks you wish you have never sold or will never sell. Here is mine :

1. Seabird Design Qanik - awesome west Greenland design by Bjorn Thomasson. Only a few in the US. Easier to roll than my SOF

2. NDK Explorer - sold it then spent the next two years regretting it. Try various boat to fill the void, cannot find anything that does everything the explorer did. Ended up buying another one and this one is staying with me for a long long time.

Hi. The same topic was started 4 days ago. Probably going to have to jump over there for the conversation

Ah nice didn’t realize that…thanks!

My 145 Tsunami Blue. I joined this forum to find info about faster boats. After two weeks. I realized that if I got a new boat, I might return from the trip and tell Blue about it. You can have Red the 175. He wouldn’t try any harder than what Blue would do - last boat. Been too many places together and afraid a new boat wouldn’t understand my limitation.

1 Like

Never say never.

Think this one is with me til I paddle no more. Clipper Sea-1.

1 Like

Interesting boat. No offense, because I do respect Pungos, but it does look like a race pungo. How is it set up with bulkheads or flotation. Hull and chine. What makes it your never sell.

Ha… Ain’t no Pungo…

Considered a “Decked Canoe”. Sort of a “Hybrid” but call it what you like. Paddle single or double blade. Comfy forward/aft, up/down adjustable seat. Easy in and out for one bad, one replaced knee’d getting older fella who has grown to hate getting in and out of a touring kayak. Easy load/unload. Room for a dog when he comes along. Big load carried for camping.

Good sailer (future use). Got this used with a sail setup so it’s ready when I am.

No bulkhead no hatches, but they install some foam forward and aft for some floatation. I have float bags added for additional safety.

Why?
The ideal boat for my future paddling. This will get heavy use in two years when I retire to Maine exploring the Maine Island Trail. Trips to Georgian Bay/Lake Huron ect. It’s no rock-garden playing or surf-ski screamin’ delight but it’s a very comfortable touring boat that will serve me well enjoying the open waters of my soon-to-be-home.

Joewildlife says it pretty well in his old review:

2 Likes

Your explanation and the first incredible review you included answered my question. A real unique beauty. Your comment about knees reminds me about the value of an open cockpit for many boaters. I sense bystanders looking around to see if I have a walker nearby as I struggle out of my kayak.

2 Likes

I would have to say this would be at the top of my list of boats I would never sell

4 Likes

My Greenland II (1999) is huge and unwieldy and breaks a lot, but it’s part of my family’s life. My wife an I paddled it in the Gulf of Maine and when I had kids, I stuffed all four of us into it. I’ll keep it forever.

1 Like

That Greenland II looks a lot like a Folbot Super that I built from a kit in 1980.

1 Like

The Greenland ll was the Folbot upgrade of the Super.

1 Like

Good to have you old guys around.

1 Like

I grew up in my mom and dad’s wooden-ribbed Folbots. In a lot of ways they didn’t mess with success. The Greenland II is kind of high maintenance, I might not mind the easy repairability of wood while our compared to alu and plastic.

Still have one of the wood Seventies Folbot paddles hanging in my garage.

1 Like

One of a few different but all similar designs from Current Designs North American line.

1 Like

Not a kayak but…I don’t get out in her too often anymore but I did the 70 mile general Clinton in it this spring and it was a joy to paddle on the upper Susquehanna

Does it cover different segments each year or is it the same.

The General Clinton 70 miler is Memorial Day weekend each year and starts on Otsego lake in Cooperstown and goes to Bainbridge NY

I have owned only one kayak a Pygmy Coho built from a kit. I just do not like kayaks so I sold it.