kayak sailing on upper Missouri River ?

This August, I’d like to float the upper Missouri River in Montana from Fort Benton to Kipp Recreation Area. I’ve got a Hobie Adventure Island (AI) that I’d like to use. This boat is a hybrid sit-on-top pedal kayak and sailing trimaran. This guy gives a pretty good intro to the boat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgLbiCjrywY

I use mine all the time for fishing, pedaling, and sailing, mostly in saltwater. I have had it in moving water (tidal sloughs) and it works well in that environment.

I was wondering if anyone has an opinion on whether this looks like it might be a reasonable boat for floating that part of the Missouri River. It can be paddled, but I’d like to be able to use the pedals a reasonable percentage of the time. And, the sail becomes useful in any wind from about 45 to 50 degrees off of a headwind. In a headwind, the sail is easy to furl and is not much of a liability.

Anyways, just wondering is anybody has opinions. Thanks!

Anchoring it at night may be an issue… Most people bring their boats up on shore. Depending on water levels the shore can be quite a bit up… Its primarily open rangeland. Sailing may happen or not… Be ready for really roasting temps… or cold. So yah bring it and some strong muscles ( the weight of those things is the problem!) Beautiful trip

A guy used one for the first Race 2 Alaska. One he bought new and assembled at the start line, if I remember correctly. I don’t think he made it to the end but that likely would be more extreme than what you are considering.

Here is info I found:
https://r2ak.com/2019-teams-full-race/team-perseverance-2/
Sounds like it was body issue,s not boat issue,s that stopped him.

The sail rig is a bit overkill in my opinion. I guide in the Breaks and have spent a lot of time down there paddling it in various conditions. Your water levels will be lower obviously than, say May, More sand bars and shallows exposed. I had two friends take their Hobbie pedal system from the utmost Source of the Missouri to the Gulf of Mexico a few years ago. They used the pedals a lot, but I don’t think much in the Breaks. Try it out and see how it goes.
As far as “sailing”, good luck. I’ve never seen any favorable winds for sailing down there. It’s usually a massive headwind. If you have “favorable” wind by chance. Just the fact it’s at your back is good enough to give you the extra push. I would not want to “hurry” down the river. Too much to see and learn, experience.
The most reasonable boats in the breaks have been canoes. Historically and today. All that guide in there use 16-22 ft canoes. We take a LOT of water, so allow space for that. Typically each boat will have 10-20 gallons.
On a side not my friends that used the hobie pedal system did NOT have the wide catamaran setup which I think would and will get hung up way to much in the shallow areas.
My 2 cents
N

@Peter-CA said:
A guy used one for the first Race 2 Alaska. One he bought new and assembled at the start line, if I remember correctly. I don’t think he made it to the end but that likely would be more extreme than what you are considering.

Here is info I found:
https://r2ak.com/2019-teams-full-race/team-perseverance-2/
Sounds like it was body issue,s not boat issue,s that stopped him.

I think you’re referring to Roger Mann (Team Discovery) R2AK 2015. He purchased a Hobie AI, had it delivered to Port Townsend, then assembled it two days before the race. He did finish (fastest solo finisher) and is a R2AK legend. If you read the attached link, you’ll understand why.
http://www.pressure-drop.us/forums/content.php?5460-Race-To-Alaska-Team-Discovery

Thanks for the clarification. My quick Google search failed me.

@paddletothesea said:
The sail rig is a bit overkill in my opinion. I guide in the Breaks and …
My 2 cents
N

Thanks for the info! I’ve done a few trips in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area (BWCA), so can appreciate why a canoe would be ideal. But this article made me think about the possibility of sailing:

https://www.cruisingworld.com/big-sky-sailing-on-missouri-river/

Anyways, I think I’ll go by canoe the first time, and then might consider something more “exotic” for a second trip…

that was a fun blog, Mark!

@kayamedic said:
Anchoring it at night may be an issue… Most people bring their boats up on shore.

Btw, no need to anchor the Adventure Island (AI), as the draft is no deeper than a regular kayak. In fact, you can leave off the amas (pontoons) an use the main hull as a kayak, or use just one ama and use it like a super-stable outrigger canoe. I often launch and land at beaches on the California coast. It’s an incredibly flexible boat…

Well, you could use a lot of different types of boats on the Missouri. Hit it right and a raft would be great. But the vast majority of time it would really suck. Canoe or kayak is the way.
That’s the danger with blogs, etc. Someone gets lucky on conditions one time and then posts it for the world to think it’s a fine idea all of the time.