Kayak Storage

I recently bought a new kayak and due to it’s size I don’t have enough room to keep it in the garage. After a long weekend of use, I encountered the problem of where to store it. I currently have my kayak leaning against the side of my house, it is up on the deck, so it is not touching the ground. The kayak is covered with a tarp and it is resting on it’s side. I was wondering if this method of storage would be recommended long term.

Thank You,

cgbjdc77

Have You Tried Diagonally?
On the wall in the garage?

Lou

Take all you forty dollar paddles
and make a Tee-Pee out of them and then spray your Rhino Liner over them and there you have it- an instant yak-shack !

Cheers,

jackL

Senseless attack
Yet another senseless and mindless attack from one of the kayak snobs.

Please, please.
This week I am a canoe snob.

Next week I’ll get back to my yak and gladly accept your humble title if that will put me in the same class as those that you called “Fools” last week!

Cheers,

JackL

Composite or Poly?
Leaning on it’s side is better than flat. But it makes a small difference if it is a Composite kayak or Poly. Make sure it is on foam blocks while on it’s side. This helps from distorting the hull or side shape

First you know that water won’t hurt it, but sun shine will. Protect the hull with a good UV protectant. Use 303 for Poly, and I feel Star Bright Marine polish with Teflon is better for Composite. IMHO

If the tarp is touching it all of the time, it will put rub marks on the boat. if you don’t have the tarp set to allow air to circulate, it can trap heat and let a poly kayak get warped out of shape.

Perhaps if you specify what your kayak is made of, somebody else will step in with more help. I made a 2x4 rack shaped like a letter Capitol “C”, and hang the kayak with straps on it’s side.

Good Luck!

Hang high
and if necesssary on an angle. If such approaches do not work to keep your kayak in the garage, when you store it outside, keep it out of direct sun and try not to have tarp resting directly on the boat (condensation and mold will result if touching).

Plastic kayaks are best stored on their sides. They are strongest at the point the deck meets the hull. If not storing on side, it is better to store upside down than right side up. Storing a plastic boat on its hull will result in deformation.

Thank you for the help
My kayak is a basic poly material, and it is completely covered with a tarp, so sunlight won’t be a problem. It is also sitting up on the deck so I feel that it should get enough air. I live in GA, so the climate here is very mild, I hope the heat won’t be a problem either.

Same Issues Here
with our two new kayaks. I dont have a garage so that was not an option either. I built a rack which is just two cradles lined with carpet to hold the boats and mounted it to the backside of a shed out back.

We are in the process of sewing sock bags to store the boats in. I was able to pick up a canvass reminant at Walmart which is enough material to cover both boats for thirty something dollars. I plan to use a heavy duty plastic zipper at one end to enclose the sock. We have lots of summer sun which I want to keep off the boats and lots of critters which I want to keep out of the boats.

Mark

ROTFLMAO!
Nice one, Jack! Touché!

That’s one of the best laughs I’ve had in a while. :smiley:

Beware mildew!!! NM

uncovered kayays and critters
I live in an apartment and have to keep my kayak on the patio. Fortunately, its very shady. To keep critters out of the boat, I’ve take a piece of plywood, painted it, and bungee it down to the cockpit. Works very well.

Yep
Ill have to keep a close eye out for mildew, it will be a real possibility.

We must have smart critters in NC. Given an unbelievably small opening all manner of spiders and there friends can and do find their way in. I have been using a cockpit cover which seems completely secure, and it is not fool proof.

Mark