Kayak suggestions (not a newbie)

Ooooh, I like the way you think!
It’s on my list. :slight_smile:

Thanks.

Nice idea.
Will give that some thought. Thanks!

I should add…

– Last Updated: Jan-28-16 10:31 PM EST –

My goal isn't to get a "fitness" kayak, per se.
I figure I can go to the gym for my workouts. What I like to do is explore lakes. I like to cover as much territory as possible, see the wildlife, explore the nooks and crannies, so a certain efficiency of effort would be required. (I don't want to say "speed" per se, but you get the idea.) So a SUP wouldn't really work for my purposes, although I appreciate the thought.

***edited to add:
I can cover lots of territory in my Necky Chatham 17 but I'm thinking something less long and a bit wider (more "day touring" I guess) for additional stability for cooler weather paddling or when paddling alone. Also wondering if the Chatham will start feeling too big for me as I lose more weight. In other words, I'm still figuring out the "boat plan".***

This discussion has added some good possibilities for my list. Thanks to all who contributed. :)

Thanks for the suggestions!
I was looking at the Islay LV at one time… might have to demo one.

Interesting about the Lincoln kayaks… I remember looking at them a few years ago and I liked the look of them, but as I recall, they were all too deep for me, as if they were all made for larger or taller paddlers. Now it looks like they have some choices more appropriate for women. Good to know. I even like their color choices. I like orange. :slight_smile:

Thanks for your help. :slight_smile:

to be candid
With your experience you’re probably better equipped to advise the forum on boat choices!

:wink:

SlushPaddler
Very flattering of you to say… thanks. :slight_smile:

bit longer
A bit longer than what you’re looking at: http://qcckayaks.com/Q400X.aspx

It’s a pretty nice do most everything boat, fast for it’s length but quite stable. Very well built too.

Bill H.

QCC 400X
I owned one but I was swimming in that boat. I think that boat is to wide for her plus it’s not easy to turn in tight quarters with the long waterline. That being said the boat does moves along at a good clip with excellent cargo capacity. Rudder required.

My vote would be
For the Valley Gemini SP, super cool boat.

Valley Avocet or Avocet LV
Although not super light weight, I know a lot of women that really love the Avocet scale; it does not make you feel like you are “swimming” in a huge cockpit.

F1
The OP and I have exactly the same paddling style and goals, and the Q400 is my go-to boat. However, I’m about 50% bigger, so I agree that it is likely too big.

I suggest looking at the Cape Falcon F1, a do-everything SOF, 14’ by 23" wide. It would be perfect for the described usage. It’s highly maneuverable, tracks well due to the skeggy stern and is insensitive to wind. Skin boats are extremely quiet, and light weight. The hull design is truly sophisticated.

Boat building classes are suspended for this season, but it looks like Brian will still build one customized to your dimensions for $2K. I recommend reading his page on boat choice, I find it all rings true:

http://www.capefalconkayaks.com/choosing-a-kayak.html

Stellar
Take a look at the S14. I am enjoying my S18 at 34.5 lbs.

Venture kayaks

– Last Updated: Feb-01-16 12:25 PM EST –

I notice you mentioned wanting to try the Venture Islay. I have not tried the Islay but have owned its predecessor, the low volume Venture Easky 15 LV for going on 6 years. I'm a 65 year old active flatwater paddler, an inch shorter than you and range from 145 to 155 lbs. If you could find an Easky 15LV I think you would really like it for the purposes you describe.

At 15' long and 22" wide it is a bit longer and a bit narrower than the specs you've quoted, but this is a wonderful kayak - nice speed, but stable, responsive and fun to paddle in a range of conditions. And at 46 lbs it is relatively easy to carry. I've owned 12 kayaks in the past 15 years and this remains one of my favorites. I've used it on everything from narrow shallow rivers with class I and II sections to coastal open waters in rough and windy conditions. It fits me very well, has nice cockpit outfitting and being made in the UK, the finish is quite nice.

I have also shared it with several friends and family over the years, folks ranging from 5' 2", 130 lbs to 5' 10', 180 lbs and everyone who has used it has loved it. The beginners felt comfortable in it (surprising for a 22" wide kayak and a testimony to the hull design, which is a hard chine with very good secondary stability) and those with experience usually describe it as "sweet". I never have trouble keeping up with paddlers in longer, higher end boats on group outings.

Though I have heard the Islay's are nice boats, it puzzles me why Venture dropped the Easky 15LV three years ago, because the Islays are a different design, also heavier. I do occasionally see 15LV's for sale in various parts of the country, though I have a hard time imagining ever selling mine.

If you are ever in southwest PA and want to do a test paddle, I'n only 15 minutes from a launch ramp on a large river. Just retired a couple of weeks ago so I'm available most days. There is a Stellar dealer (Hansel Lucas of Adventure Kayak) here in the Pittsburgh area too if you wanted to test their models out in the Spring.

I also noticed recently on a Venture dealer's website that they recommend the new Dagger Stratos as a substitute for the discontinued Easky. Reading the specs, it sounds like a very interesting boat, with a model for smaller paddlers (the 14.5 S). At $1199 it looks like great bang for the buck:

http://www.dagger.com/us/experience/news/article/introducing-stratos

I am familiar with the QCC’s
The QCC brand has been around for awhile so I do remember those… and remember lusting after them too! LOL

I don’t think the 400 is right for me (too long, too deep), but I have considered the smaller one… seems to me there used to be a QCC that was around 13.5 long and maybe 23-24" wide? But I just checked the QCC website and it’s not listed anymore, so I guess that’s out.

I’ve also thought if I ever trade my Necky Chatham, I might go with a longer QCC but I’m pretty happy with the Chatham right now.

Thanks for the suggestion
The Stellar kayaks do have an interesting look to them. Definitely something I’d like to demo if I can find a dealer within a reasonable driving range.

Epic has a couple
The V5 is 14 feet

The V6 is lighter and 16 feet

I also think the Stellar S14 would be a good one to try.

Personally my favorite 14er is the Dagger Alchemy, heavier than composite boats but slides on the car one end at a time and a cart makes it an easy mover.

Stellar
Makes some nice boats. I have test paddled both the S14 and S16. When I test paddled the S14 about 3 years ago it did not have thigh braces but they have since rectified that. Just this past Summer I test paddled an S16. I really liked the boat but found one flaw that broke the deal. With my legs locked under the thigh braces I could not operate the rudder. I called Stellar on this and they told me they have a kit that will lower the peddle. My feeling is that you should not have to modify a brand new boat.

WillowLeaf
I remember the Venture Easky 15 LV… at least I remember seeing pics of it and looking at the dimensions and thinking it might be a good boat for me to demo. Unfortunately at the time (a few years ago) you didn’t see many Venture kayaks around here… no dealers that I was aware of. That may have changed. If I saw a used one for sale in the area, I’d definitely give it a demo paddle.

The Islay is interesting to me because of its long-ish waterline (given the short-ish length of the boat) and the cockpit looks to me like it’s situated every so slightly aft of center which (in my experience) sometimes makes for better tracking without aid of skeg or rudder… but again, that depends on the hull configuration too. Definitely an interesting boat. I hear Venture’s plastic is good quality but I have no firsthand experience with the company. Aren’t they an offshoot of Valley or some other company? Can’t remember but it seems to me I heard that.

So you’re in the Pittsburgh area? I do sometimes get out that way (I have a family member there). Might have to look you up next time, maybe we could paddle together.

Anyway, thanks for responding. Good input.

Shiraz
Yes, that would be a problem (can’t operate rudder with legs under the thigh braces). That’s odd. I agree, you shouldn’t have to retrofit a brand new kayak.

Having said that, I do like the look of the Stellars, and will test paddle one if I get a chance. People seem to have favorable opinions of them overall.

Easky 15lv
Owned one of those to. Myself and several of my colleagues found the boat to be very twitchy with a poor skeg design. In fact the only time I got tossed out of a boat was in the Easky 15lv. I graciously rehomed the boat. Check out those Stellars which offer excellent value. Good luck in your search.