Kayak Suggestions

I am looking at buying a new kayak and would appreciate any input.

I am 195 lbs and 5’ 11’’ and 60 years old and have been kayaking for a number of years. I currently own a Delta 14.5 which I will be giving to my son.

I mostly do lake kayaking and the majority of the time it is just for the day. I look at it as exercise and a wonderful way to spend some time. I certainly enjoy speed (fun for good exercise) but want good stability in the boat also. Weight is also a major factor - I want a light boat. As I get older, the lighter the better. I appreciate the seat arrangement in my current kayak (very adjustable and comfortable) and it’s brake style rudder system.

I would consider getting a new Delta (but maybe a different model) but thought I would try and get other ideas before I make a final decision. Even though I have been kayaking for a quite awhile I am not that knowledgeable about the types, brands, features etc.

weight
You will be hardpressed to find any hardshell boats that are lighter than the Deltas. So if you plan to go lighter you would probably have to look at skin on frame kayaks. A few of suggestions you might want to investigate would be the 32 lb Pakboat Quest 155 or some of the Feathercrafts, particularly the 35 lb Kahuna, 38 lb Wisper or the 22 lb Kurrent. I’m 64 and have owned 3 Feathercrafts – they are truly my boat of choice for lightness, performance and comfort. Another rather unique option would be the Orukayak, under 25 lbs and folds into a suitcase sized parcel.

weight
I appreciate the reply…

Maybe I am placing too much emphasis on “light-weight” then because I do want a hardshell. My goal perhaps should be to consider kayaks in the same weight range as my current Delta.

Faster & Lighter = Longer + Carbon
Keep in mind you said nothing of budget.

Your post did not give any height/weight specs so the the following is a guess.

Keeping with a cockpit SINK style (Surfskis opens a whole different can o’ worms) get a Lincoln Kayaks Isle au Haut. 34lbs to 44lbs depending on layup. Made in Massachusetts. (pictures of it’s shorter, lower volume version, the Schoodic in Carbon shown here http://wp.me/pFgdM-Og)

If yellow is a styling color for you I’ve got a Kevlar one that needs some watering.

Provided you fit it’ll certainly be a lot faster than the 14.5 Delta and lighter for toting around on land.

See you on the water,

Marshall

The River Connection, Inc.

Hyde Park, NY

www.the-river-connection.com

hudsonriverpaddler.org

Faster & Lighter
Thanks, Looks like a great boat… but as my opening post mentioned I am 195 lbs and at the product page for Isle Au Haut says that the paddler capacity is 180. Might be a touch small for me.

Epic?
Epic 16x or V6? Based stritcly off weight, I haven’t tried one.

What is your experience of your Delta?
Do you like how it paddles?

I demoed the Delta 14.5 and found it slow. By contrast, the new Delta 14 felt like it had much better glide. The new seat is different—you would have to see if you like it.

Your other choice in thermoform is Eddyline. The Journey or Fathom might fit you. The Delta hull has quite a bit more stability in my opinion. The Eddyline hull requires a higher level of skill in challenging conditions.

Weight
I’m 200. The Isle AU Haut feels as if it can take another 30 lbs of gear without feeling like its setting low in the water. From my conversations with the builder I think he was being cautious.

We had a Demo Day back in January at the CIA Pool and I was surprised at the range of body types that fit the Isle and Schoodic. It got to where I stopped guessing and told paddlers to just get in and see how it went. Definitely different than the Brit kayaks I usually deal with.

See you on the water,

Marshall

Hyde Park, NY

hudsonriverpaddler.org

1, 2, 3
1. How about a 50 lb. 19’-2" composite NC Expedition.

nckayaks.com

2. Or maybe a 17’-2" composite in the 40 lb. range-- Novus Composites–several models to choose from.

3. If thermal plastic is your choice, you have to look

at the Eddyline Raven.

Weight
OK… it’s back on the consideration list!

Experience with the Delta
I generally enjoy paddling the Delta 14.5 but please remember that I have very little experience with other kayaks. I have owned my 14.5 for a number of years. One of the reasons I mentioned the “speed” aspect was that I think I would enjoy a faster boat but the reality of it is I have little to base my judgement on. Thanks for letting me know they have a new seat design - I will take a look.

Also you mention the new Delta 14 had better glide. I am assuming that may apply also for the new Delta 15.5GT?

I will take a look at the Eddyline… Thanks

OK… I am off to look at all 3 of your suggestions, Thanks

14 vs 14.5
I would say that in my brief experience (demoing only), the 14 is significantly faster than the 14.5. Fast can either mean literally goes faster (which I don’t personally care about because I’m not in any hurry), or takes less effort to paddle (which I care about a lot). I found that the Delta 14 took little effort to paddle, especially with a nice all-carbon paddle like the Werner Kalliste.

I think the old seat was quite a bit better than the new one. Highly personal.

I have no experience with the 15.5.

To fairly compare Eddyline and Delta you would need rough water. Both will paddle well in calm water. In my opinion, in waves or confused water the Delta is superior due to the high volume in the ends, versus the very low ends on the Eddylines. Here paddling skill makes a difference. I would say that the Delta hull takes care of itself (and you) in rough water regardless of your paddling skill, while the Eddyline hull expects you to be in charge. This also explains differences in reviews, where experienced paddlers think a kayak has high stability while less experienced paddlers are terrified of the same kayak. Reviews of Deltas consistently praise the high stability, while Eddyline reviews are more varied.

Another 3 days
Given the temps the pack ice might be broken up enough to go out and play with the demo on the water rather than sledding.

See you on the water,

Marshall

Hyde Park, NY

hudsonriverpaddler.org