Kayak + Trolling Motor

I have Wilderness Pungo 120. I’m going to add a MinnKota trolling motor to power it in larger lakes while fishing. My trouble is the battery. It’s almost the size of a car battery. Has anyone successfully done this? The only place I can think of putting it is in the hatch in a battery box.

Thanks.

Once you put a motor on a kayak, many states require that the “boat” now be registered with numbers displayed on the hull. Check out your state’s requirements.

2 Likes

Will do thanks

Its been done. The only place to put it is in the hatch. You could get a smaller AH battery because you are not going to put as much strain on it.

1 Like

You might want to look at this site. Lithium batteries are much smaller and lighter and have many other advantages. They are more expensive, but it all works out in a much longer lifespan. You don’t have to go with the battery recommended by the motor manufacturer.

1 Like

Yeah I think you’re right. I’m definitely thinking about a lithium battery now. Thanks.

Yeah the hatch looks like my only option. As I mentioned elsewhere in this topic thread I’m looking at lithium batteries now since they are smaller. Thanks for the help.

That and ask for long running battery, not cold cranking amps (aka starting battery). For example a battery for a trolling motor or an RV Battery.

Trolling motors’ propeller pitches are targeted at moving a large boat slowly - higher torque than you need for a kayak. Meaning the prop will have to spin faster than it needs to. Not sure if that affects battery life or if they make high pitch props for trolling motors.

Yes, I’m avoiding CCA batteries in favor of Deep Cycle batteries. My outstanding question now - if I go to Lithium are they still called Deep Cycle? Thanks.

Thanks for the input.

I’ve not seen any LI referred to as deep cycle. Deep cycle LA batteries have thicker plates allowing them to discharge repeatedly and deeper than start batteries without damage, especially sulfation. Since LI uses a completely different way of moving electrons, it doesn’t seem analogous.

Here’s a good read although largely applying to bigger boats the tech and batteries are the same. Marine How To

If your brain starts to hurt, you’re in the right place.

Thanks Mike.

Lithium batteries are used in many applications where there is no charging system involved. They are used in power tools, electric bikes and scooters, and with many portable electronic devises. Deep cycle marine batteries are also designed to be frequently discharged and recharged. Standard automotive batteries are designed for use with a charging system that keeps them at their designed voltage and can provide a lot of power for a short time when starting the engine.

For marine use in salt water with a small boat a sealed battery is preferred. If salt water gets in a standard battery it will destroy the battery and it will off-gas chlorine gas.