Kayak trolly

Aloha earthlings. Looking for advice on a trolly . Can any one recommend one that folds and fits in hatch. I’ve seen a few online where the wheels can be removed , my concern is the metal frame not fitting in the hatch maybe due to an awkward shape. Greetings , salutations and muchos danke in advance.

From previous posts C-Tug seems to be very popular, although fairly expensive. Breaks down easily and will fit in most rear hatches. However, you really have to try it to be sure.

My wife and I have been using Wheeleez carts for over 10 years. The frame just barely fits in the hatches of a Necky Arluk 1.9 and a QCC 600. These brand name carts are also fairly expensive, but ones that are essentially identical can be found for less than half the price. This style of cart is also very popular.

THere are a number of carts that are much smaller, but carts with small wheels generally are less stable and smaller wheels do not work as well on rough surfaces. Most carts do not work very well on sand unless equipped with sand tires. These tires can be bulky and expensive compared to standard tires. They are an option when ordering some carts.

1 Like

I have a C-Tug and it does fit in my rear hatch. Just to clarify, you would only transport such a large kayak cart on a day trip, not a camping trip, because it’s quite large even broken down and takes up half of a large rear hatch. I usually prefer to find a secluded place near the launch where I can hide the cart, but sometimes I carry it with me when there’s no place to leave it or I don’t intend to return to the same launch point. C-Tugs are heavy, but they’re also robust. Mine can comfortably carry my kayak loaded with camping gear. It rolls effortlessly over flattish terrain, but takes quit a bit of effort to pull it a long distance up a steep hill. Mine has inflatable tires.

If you’ve got basic woodworking tools you can easily make one that’ll break down small enough to fit in. It’ll be a little heavier, but not enough for it to be noticable. I’m going to be making one to mainly use for my canoes but it’ll work with my kayaks too.

I know the typical ones you see on Amazon like this one DON’T collapse enough to fit in the rear hatch of a Wilderness Systems Tsunami 165.

C tug

Tell us which kayak brand and model you have. Then you may find a reader who can give you specific details.

The Suspenz products are excellent. The three that I’ve had are good designs, of robust build and powder coated - so they last for years.

They are best only when used under the boat.

Inside the boat, just not as well. They consume too much volume, make loading other stuff more difficult to keep a boat in trim. And during a capsize they’re just completely in the way. Just my 2 cents.

Many kayak carts have different wheel options:

• Pneumatic tubed tires- Light weight. Can go flat. Tubes can be repaired or replaced. Less likely to lose air over time than tubeless. Not great on sand or very soft surfaces.
  • Pneumatic tubeless tires- Light weight. Can go flat and have a tendency to slowly lose air over time, but usually just need to be reinflated. Check before using. Not great on sand or very soft surfaces.
  • Solid tires- Never go flat. Heavier. Rougher ride on rough surfaces. Not great on sand or very soft surfaces.
  • Sand tires. Usually pneumatic, tubed or tubeless. Fairly heavy and very bulky. A bit more bouncy on rough surfaces. Best choice for sandy or other soft surfaces.

For a strap option to make strapping the boat to most carts easier check Here.

Most kayak carts that work well take up a lot of room in a hatch, When kayak camping, most people end up strapping them to the aft deck. Not ideal, but I’ve had two friends that thought they’d hidden them well at the launch had them stolen. You could cable the frame to a tree but there’s no easy way to secure the wheels. The wheels themselves take up only a moderate amount of room in a hatch and make the frame less likely to be stolen if hidden, secured, and and left behind.

1 Like

Depends on how far you need to carry your kayak.
I have a Paddleboy Peanut, an old Paddleboy like the Wheeleez-style pictured by NHTrucker, and a Seatle Sports ATC Cart. I just transport relatively short distances for one or two hour paddles.
Peanut Cart is best for short distances (maybe a few hundred yards) on smooth terrain (mine has solid tires). Super easy to attach to kayak (no strap is required, just hook the attached bungee to the rear of the cowling), but you can’t mount to kayak so load is balanced- thus you’re still carrying a lot of kayak weight. I pulled my 12 foot kayak about a tenth of a mile and it was getting tiresome. Nicely designed with collapsing frame; however, I don’t stash in in the bulkhead, just strapped onto the top of the kayak.
The Wheeleez-style is great for longer distances, as you can attach so that it’s balanced and you’re carrying little weight. Does require strap to secure to kayak. Another one I don’t store in bulkhead, just to the top of the kayak.
I have not used the ATC cart yet- I got a great deal on it and couldn’t pass it up.

I have a variety of boats-kayaks, sit in and on top and 2 different canoes, so I feel qualified to report on this. My Bonlo cart works just fine. I rarely break it down to fit in a hatch, just strap it on the top of the kayak.And, I have transported various boats(kayaks & canoes) over a multitude of surfaces and found it sufficient, but not always easy.
I also have a 16 inch bike wheeled cart that I use primarily at home, but have taken it with me upon occasion. The tires need occasionally inflated, but this is a great cart for most any terrain due to the large diameter of the wheels , as it can roll over even logs-not huge ones mind you.
The real secret is to tighten the straps several times while in use to keep the boat securely ON the cart. It’s worth stopping to do so.

C-Tug is the best of all the trolleys (both purchased and homemade) I’ve owned or tested over 30 years. Wish I’d bought it first.

PROS:
-Fits in the hatches of my 3 different seakayaks.
-Breaks down in 60 SECONDS MAX. Seriously.
-Assembles in 60 SECONDS MAX.
-Solidly built—I’ve seen people put 2 stacked boats on it.

CONS:
Heavier than most.
Expensive.

I don’t work for the company…just a huge fan.

2 Likes

If you are handy and creative, you should be able to cobble up something (that can be taken down) to fit into your yak with PVC and some used golf cart wheels. Using threaded fittings, any cart can be a take-down. As far as strapping onto the yak, if you run an extra line from the cart up through the bow handle, you can pull the cart along easily enough.
kayak cart1

1 Like

I have a couple of sets of wheels similar to the one posted above from the RAD store and just place it onto the back of my whichever kayak I happen to be using at the time with a bungie cord. Works for me and has for years.

Hi there. Its an NDK romany, about 20 years old.

We usually are moving our kayaks (12’ Pelican & 14’ Paluski) on the shoulder of a country road for approx 1/2 km to our set-in point. Wife uses a C-Tug, I use a $5 thrift store golf bag cart with added straps…both do the job well.

2 Likes

My C-tug and ancient Paddleboy (similar to the Paddleboy Peanut) both work well hauling an NDK Explorer and my other various sit-ins and SOTs. Neither fit in NDK round hatches.

Bummer. I have an NDK on the way next spring and was considering a C-tug for trips where portaging is required. Oh well. I have a cheap-o amazon cart with balloon wheels since my main launch points are beaches. I guess I better lift some weights over the winter for portaging.:slight_smile: