Kayak upgrade dilemma

Thanks all
I am keeping the Loon 138 no matter what. I also have a Loon 111. With a 15 yo son and 10 yo daughter it will end some fighting. I think I will go with the bigger boat. I want to keep it at or under $1000 so a used poly yak will probably work unless I come across a sweet deal on a used composite boat. I have seen used or new 03/04 eclipses, tempest 170, scirocco and capellas in my range. The Susquehana/Diamante, Narwhal and Gulfstream are intriguing as well if I can scrape up more cash or wait a little longer.Demoing these boats will probably shorten or change my list but I need to start somewhere.

Thanks Again.

Skegged Elaho
If you would like something very responsive/manueverable and are thinking used poly, you might try an Elaho. The original 15’10" poly skegged Elaho is great fun and can handle both streams and the sea. There are usually a number of them out there used for sale.

He May Be Over The Top
in the weight catergory, especially if he does some of the intended overnighters. 200 plus paddler with some skills would have fun with that boat but I wouldn’t suggest it for a someone just moving into the touring class.

sing

I believe there is a used Tempest 170 rm
available on the NSPN website…I had one and loved it…

Bob

I saw that
However, I am not able to demo anything right now due to weather conditions. I am not a 4 season paddler yet. They seem popular but are also for sale used quite often. I wonder why? It must be the paddler’s step up to composite that makes them available?

I agree on keeping the loon
There’s going to be back water and creek paddles that the loon is going to be the go to boat for.

I’ve still got the shamnrock bedecked america after 4+ years just for the above reasons.

The guy I bought mine from was selling 2
He was selling them after one use because his wife got pregnant and he knew his life was pretty much over.

So… I think the reason they are so popular is 'cause “Tempest guys have more sex”.

You might want to check that with Kudzu though.

Capella
It would be interesting to A/B the Capella and a T-170 for your height/size.

Hmmmmm…
I just sold my Tempest 170 RM…and come to think about it…sold my first seakayak 14 years ago just after my son was born…hmmmm…

Bob

What’s A/B mean?
Pardon my ignorance.

Swift Labrador Sea - Skeg in Kevlar
Anyone paddle one of these? My local outfitter has a demo model for $1195.

a/b
checking them both out at the same time in the same conditions for equal comparison…A/B…

btw…i have found that asking questions don’t reflect ignorance…though, not asking questions however may promote ignorance…

Bob

It’s a Big Boy Boat
I’ve paddled one once and felt it was too big for me, 5’8" 195lbs. One of our club members has one and loves it. He quite a bit taller than I am. It has a larger cockpit than most of the Swift boats (I have a Swift Bering Sea and formerly had a Swift Caspian Sea). They are all John Winters designs, so they are pretty fast for their overall length. I suspect it would be similar to the QCC500 (have never tried one), but is a little shorter and a newer design. The QCC400 and Swift Caspian Sea are the same hull design and the QCC300 and the Swift Tasman Sea are the same hull. There are a few around the NE in this price range, but for a Kevlar demo boat that sounds like a pretty good deal.

~wetzool

totally TRUE
just ask my wife!

=:-0)

steve