Kayak Vest Recommendation

I am a bit reticent to consider an inflatable PFD. For fishing from a SOT kayak, that makes sense to me. In my situation I don’t want my wife to rely on activating the inflation mechanism in an emergency.

I like the Mustang Survival Khimera Dual Flotation PFD.

Lesar4704: If memory serves me, I had a Mustang PFD years ago. I will check it out. Thank you.

The one I got is automatic. When submerged for a short time it automatically inflates. Would not work well if you plan to do any rock jumping into the lake though. :slight_smile:

Yes but, it only works once. Then you have to reload a new canister and activator. While it can be inflated manually that’s not something I’d want to have to do upon subsequent capsizes.

1 Like

The Stohlquist Trekker (mens) and Cruiser (women’s) models are consistently popular, right-sized, highly adjustable, and quite reasonably priced at around $140. Buy them while you can, since Stohlquist is officially shut down for new dealer orders as of today, Feb 1 (a lot of dealers, ourselves included, grabbed the remaining inventory over the last few weeks).

Offshore: Thank you for the heads-up.

Hence the reason I don’t recommend it for anything other than flat water and no bigger than class 1 rapids. Anything more than that, I wear a traditional vest with flotation somewhere around the neckline so I cannot be floated head down accidentally.

I figured that there would be disagreement about the inflatable, but there is a time and place for each type of device. I was just offering a suggestion of an alternative to inVESTigate (pun noted) for calm flat water use.

I don’t capsize often (only one time in 50 years thanks to a fishing partner unfamiliar with canoes) so I don’t consider that a problem. Comfort is what I hope to have.

You’re very welcome. I should add that I’m now paddling a new kayak with a high back rest as well as the canoes. Still zero complaints with the Ebb.

Under the conditions you describe, I also prefer an inflatable. I’m happy with it but (full disclosure) have never had to use it.

You had which model kokatat?

My wife and I use inflatables on our stand-up paddle boards, but in our kayaks we much prefer regular PFDs.

Oh, and automatic inflatables are more for sailors. They come in handy if you get knocked unconscious and overboard by a wayward boom. :wink:

I am female and 5’ 4” but very short waisted and 36 D which is another reason I like Astral PFDs because they are short and don’t ride up on me. After reading some recommendations 2 years ago I also bought a Stohlquist Glide but honestly I don’t like the fit nor the stiff foam. It feels bulky and does not adjust comfortably.

Anotherfavorite Astral model of mine is their womens Abba, which uses a soft and flexible buoyancy foam. But it has a full solid, not mesh back.

Thank you for your input. Truly appreciated.

Sounds like the Stohlquist Ebb and Flo as well as the Astral V-8 would work given that you probably have relative high back seats.

All of the above are 40% off right not at;
PFD’s at The River Connection

1 Like

Thank you, Marshall. Quick question: I’m curious what needs to be considered in selecting a PFD if the seat backs are relatively high or not?

The models I mentioned were designed for high back seats, but they’re comfort has become popular with kayakers of many different stripes

The fit range per size is quite generous

Thank you. The back of the seat are about 6 1/2" above the top of the kayak.

I out grew the Stohlquist Cruiser quickly as my skills improved.

Way too much bulk in the front for self rescues and it was alway up around my ears when in the water. Could never get the adjustments to keep the PFD in place without making it hard to breathe. The wide shoulder straps were always digging into my neck or my shoulder cap and always gapped in the back where they joined the PFD body. The design may have changed since I bought mine, probably 7 years ago.

Reasonably good pockets though! I’m one of those who says “if you don’t have it on you, you don’t have it” so I carry quite a bit in my pockets.

Just goes to show - try the beastie on and walk around the store for a bit or better yet, borrow someone’s and actually paddle in it before you decide.

Considering all of the information that all of you provided, collectively you have a wealth of knowledge on PFDs for kayaking. One additional question: does anyone have any opinions on HyperLite Elite PFD? Thank you.