Kayak Vest Recommendation

If you can do it, get those seat backs down lower. To paddle efficiently you need to use more than just your arms and shoulders. And that involves torso rotation to bring in the stronger muscles of your core. Higher backed seats will limit this.

4 Likes

Too Hot in NC for vest. I use the Onyx A/M/24
Can be set as manual or auto inflate. You never know it’s on. For flat water kayaking this should do you well.

I ordered three and ended up with the Stohlquist Flo. My only complaint is the flat smallish pockets, but for the fit I can work with that. I used it a lot last summer and it was not too hot, and I was able to be on the water for hours. Mesh back and didn’t rub my arms at all. I have no regerts about this purchase, and plan on getting the orange to go with my blue. It also floated me well when I was practicing falling out and getting back in. Yes I succeeded…no it was not pretty and it took a long time. Ha ha!

The two I did not pick were the Kokotat Hustle, and the NRS Women’s Shenook. Honestly, both fit great and the pockets on the Shenook are freaking awesome! I knew that I was going to be paddling for hours at a time, and both of these had rub spots. One on the front of my arm and the other on the back. I don’t remember which is which. But quality of both was great, and like I said, the fit was good too. I just needed to feel like I didn’t have anything on.

So that is my two cents worth. I hope you all find what works for you!

1 Like

Hoofnit03: Thank you so much for your thoughts. Those little factors, such as rub spots, after several hours of paddling can be so important to the overall experience. This supports the idea of “trying before you buy”.

May be old news to some, but I just found out that Stohlquest is/has closed up shop. They are part of the US Diver stable of companies and apparently USD is focusing on professional and commercial products going forward. Rumor is that several other companies are attempting to keep Stohlquest alive, so maybe the end is not yet written.

1 Like

https://paddlinglife.com/industry-news/paddlesports-apparel-pfd-maker-stohlquist-closing-down-future-in-limbo/#:~:text=According%20to%20a%20December%202023,and%20high-performance%20water%20sports.