Kayaker missing

SOS?
is that like Same old Sheet?..

I expected someone with your skills
to spot that and yes.

Good eyes.

Jackl please post the link to the story
where a person died form wearing a PFD because of the heat. As for not needing one in 3 feet of water if you hit a r ack as you flip the PFD just might keep you face up and save your life. Also as Wayne said there are states that have laws for wearing them. I wish the law was year round and not just part of the year. Sometimes laws have to be enacted to save people from themselves.

Type III PFDs are NOT …
… designed to keep people face up. They are a Personal Flotation Device - a buoyancy aid for conscious wearers - and are NOT “life preservers” for someone knocked unconscious. They are just as likely to float an unconscious person face down.

Type III are what most paddlers that wear PFDs are wearing (and some in Type V - but these are typically same with added rescue features like tow belts, stronger harness, etc.), and if not adjusted properly and swim tested from time to time - might as well be on the rear deck anyway.

Do I wear one? Mostly. Do I tell others they need to wear theirs? Mostly not.

The PFD argument is over rated
I have never seen a group of adults get so worked up over someting as trivial as a PFD for safety in a kayak. In open oceans, rough conditions, cold weather, cold water or white water then yes but looking at many of the photo albums of kayakers paddling warm flat water without one is pretty common. So why is there such a don’t go on the water with out one mentality. It isn’t really going to change the death toll.

Greyak, if you reread my post I said it
"MIGHT" keep you face up. I am aware of the type of pfd we wear, that is why I said “MIGHT”

And just why does it put me in that
same catagory?

I wear a helmut when I cycle to protect my head in case of a fall.

I wear my seat belt to keep me from getting thrown through the window in case of a wreck.

Will the PFD protect me from the above?

If you are trying to use logic stick with the subject being talked about.

cheers,

JackL

That doesn’t fly.
You evidently were not here on P-net back when one of our beloved paddlers had a heart attack and died while paddling.

The PFD didn’t help him one bit.

The next time you go wading in a brook or the ocean hopefully you will remember your post and wear your PFD.

Cheers,

JackL

Read my post above.
there is no way in hell that I am going to post the guys name and details.

He was a friend of mine and many on this forum.

If you want to wear your PFD to bed, that is fine with me.

I just get sick and tired of all the PFD purists trying to make it a federal offense when some one does not want to wear a PFD.

I wear mine when I should wear it, and there are other times when thewre is absolutely no need for it and rediculous to wear it.

I think some of you purists need to go question the USCA why they don’t require it in their races?

cheers,

JackL

Do they have support personal
for the races? A race it is not just a bunch or people out for a paddle. As for the pfd in 95 degree weather if you can’t provide the link then it is just hearsay. If it caused a person problems then I can only think of one thing HYDRATION. I would really like to hear the facts from that incident. I wear mine all the time Summer, Fall, Winter and Spring been out when temps were high 90’s and matching humidity never had a problem. To many people die form not wearing one, just like seatbelts and helemts there is no good reason not to wear one. As someone once said “you can’t fix stupid”

BULL SHIT

– Last Updated: Nov-15-07 8:25 PM EST –

Get your facts straight before you present an argument. Many paddlers die wearing a PFD as well. Few paddlers die not wearing a PFD and by definition I don't consider every person who goes out in a boat a paddler.

If you want to wear the damn thing fine, wear it.

The problem with the PFD issue is that it is inconsistant with different style boats and it's a petty argument for an adult to tell another adult to wear one.

Logic is overrated

– Last Updated: Nov-15-07 9:17 PM EST –

Using logic to decide whether or not you'll be in a situation that you'll need a PFD or not while floating in a little boat on water is a good chance to practice bad logic. But so is the logic that says PFDs will save you no matter what especially since most kayaking PFDs will only save you if you're conscious. So stating that he would be alive/found if he was wearing a PFD may not be correct.

I thought I wouldn't have needed a PFD on the only day I truly did. One near drowning is all it took for me to wear one no matter what. On hot days I roll and if the wind is calm I sometimes get out of the boat take off my PFD put on goggles and dive.

But if I was real smart I'd wear one while fly fishing since I've swam more times doing that in icy water than while kayaking (swept into holes after losing my footing).

I do wear one while cycling too but like I told a friend, "I hope the car that hits me is made of styrofoam".

georgia-kayaker, people die all
the time because they did not wear a pfd but I have yet to read that someone died and their pfd was the direct cause of their death. Maybe a WW kayaker could get hung up on a strainer but I have never seen a WW kayaker not wear a pfd. The more people die because they don’t wear a pfd the sooner the government will step in and make it a law.

ok–logic–

– Last Updated: Nov-15-07 9:56 PM EST –

a pfd will keep you on top of the water, generally speaking. And "LOGIC" should tell you that if you stay on top of the water, you generally don't drown.

By analogy- that's a kind of logic btw-- a pfd is a type of safety equipment--like a seat belt or motorcycle helmet and like seat belt or motorcycle helmet a pfd will not work if you don't wear it---is that logical enough for you? The analogy is a good one---sorry it went over your head.

To put it even more simply, I remember hearing a lecture from a USCG Chief Petty Officer who said that in his twenty years in the Coast Guard he had pulled lots of dead bodies out of the water. None of them, he said, were wearing PFDs.

Now a PFD is not a guarantee that you will survive--you can always die from hypothermia or sharkbite or be run down by a motorboat. But it is a pretty good bet that you won't die by drowning if you are wearing one. Unless of course you get caught in a really big hole while doing white water---funny thing though, I've never seen a WW paddler who didn't wear a PFD

One last thing---like I said above I really really don't care if you wear a pfd or not, much like I wouldn't care if you wear seat belts or motorcycle helmets. Its entirely your business---the one thing I don't understand is why you and others who choose not to wear a pfd become so defensive on this topic and argue in the face of all logic that its safer not to wear one---seems like you are whistling in the dark trying to convince yourself that your practice is a safe one.

You should at least be honest enough to admit to yourself and others that the reason you don't wear one has nothing to do with safety and everything to do with comfort, fashion and projecting a jaunty macho image-- kind of like the biker who likes the feeling of the wind in his hair---sans helmet of course

Meanwhile , the man is dead.
coulda been one of us. Has been in at least 2 cases.I’m glad it wasn’t you or I.

That’s true
Wearing pfds does not prevent heart disease

overheating
is not a problem in Maine

Death Happens…

PFD’s
From my L4 Instructor…

“It’s a lot easier saving your sorry a$$es if you’ve got a pfd on.” He explains this clearly.

Or maybe your struggling a$$ is trying to drag my boat over, so I have to paddle away from you to save my own…Now who’s wishing they had a pfd?

So If you choose not to wear it, be ready for every extreme you can dream.

There’s no need for argument, protect yourself and your own, educate the others, then paddle on.

we’ve got one on the operating table as we speak…after 3 hours exposure in Bellingham Bay…

… praying, pacing, and waiting by the phone…