Kayaker missing

If you are going to quote me, please
do it correctly and don’t make up crap.

Where did I ever say that “It is safer not to wear one” ?

It is a never ending argument, so I’ll end my part by saying the reason I get up tight about the issue is when people say you should wear them all the time which to me is absolutely stupid.

cheers,

JackL

But heat stroke from

– Last Updated: Nov-16-07 6:46 AM EST –

wearing a PFD on a 95 degree day sure will contribute to it

Your turn!

cheers,
jackL

Sorry to hear
I hope that the news is better by now.

You should have stopped when

– Last Updated: Nov-16-07 8:10 AM EST –

you said people die all of the time.

It is the only part of your argument that is correct.

Is this yor first PFD argument?

People die swimming and they haven't made wearing a PFD while swimming a law.

So what you are saying is:
Everyone should wear a PFD when on the water in a kayak
...which is exactally what the law would require.

so
you are saying, or at least implying strongly–wouldn’t want to misquote you—that it is safer not to wear a pfd, at least on hot days?

to quote you
"wearing a pfd can be a killer on hot days"–you also said you knew somebody who died of heatstroke because he was wearing one—that really sounds like your saying its safer not to wear one, at least on hot days–am I wrong or would you like to correct yourself?

They found him
They found his body yesterday (Thursday) morning in he water. Not saying what happened, if they know.

It’s sad and caught my attention. But with the war this started I am really sorry I mentioned it. I won’t make that mistake again.

Did he die from drowning or not
This sounds ominous to me. It is important to be as aware of your surroundings as possible!

In my case I probably would not land if there are strangers hanging about the launch site. It depends though on location. In this metro area “locations” keep me from wanting to paddle alone. PFD or not.

ditto
I’m opposed to laws forcing people to wear them but I wouldn’t be out without wearing one–even in 3 feet of warm water on a sunny Georgia River.

don’t worry about it
I don’t take anything said here personally—threads like these tend to focus peoples thoughts on this issue and that can never be a bad thing.

Wear one,
don’t wear one, whatever. Just be fricken consistant!!! Include it in your float plan. Makes a difference in your drift speed, the search area and your survivability time. Helps the arguement in requesting to suspend the search, too.

Don’t be sorry - timing

– Last Updated: Nov-17-07 12:25 PM EST –

In a lack of information, people will try to fill in the gaps. In an open-ended situation like this story - really no info at all because all they had found was clothing and boat - the act of filling in the gaps leads to some old arguments being raised.

The one piece of advice may to hold off on cases like this until more info is available. That won't necessarily stop the arguments, but it limits the field.

nope
""“If it caused a person problems then I can only think of one thing HYDRATION.”""

When it is hot enough, proper hydration alone will not prevent overheating, expecially during heavy exertion. There’s a reason that most serious marathons are run in the early spring and mid to late fall. The body can only dissipate heat so quickly.

Was Thinking About Risk…
the other day with my favorite sports: kayaking and judo. With judo, as with a lot of other sports, the common risk is sports injuries, like broken & dislocated bones and pulls and sprains. The worst case is surgery and out of the sport for a while. With kayaking, death is one of the major risks. It seems like with kayaking, the risks are higher, but more manageable.

Of course, an undiagnosed heart problem may manifest itself in any sport. However, in kayaking, the chances of survival are much slimmer. Yesterday, by doctor quoted that 2/3 of the heart attack victims make it to hospital (the other 1/3 die). But how do you get a kayaker with a heart attack to the hospital fast enough to be part of the survivor statistics?

Please excuse my random musings.

Lou

"Sound like your saying"
sounds like your wanting me to say something that you could argue against.

Sure I said one could be a killer on a hot day.

You can bet your bottom bippie if I was a mile from sure and a thunder storm came up, even if it was 100 degrees I would have my PFD on.

If it is a calm day and 100 degrees it is on the back deck.

Does that make you feel a little better.

In three feet of water I still won’t wear it. If the thunder storm comes up I’ll just get out of the water.

Your turn!

cheers,

JackL

patience pls. for an autopsy
it is fairly procedural to establish time and manner of death. If he died ashore and was then

taken to the water that can also be shown.

How do I know this? One of my good gfs was a former coroner for Wayne County in Michigan (she is head of labwork for the Virginia State Police).

So for now, as Celia posted, we have to live with some gaps in the story. That is the nature of information - at least, many times, good scientific information.

You don’t …they are in the 1/3 group

That’s it…
I’m only kayaking within 3 miles of a hospital from now on.

Jim :wink:

Not the Tigers…

Yes Celia
at this point, the news is better.