Kayaker pushes other kayaker to his death over falls..

Fake News…
Just seeing if we could get any more morbid on this page…

I’m trying to understand how this is compatible with your recently expressed sentiment “Our local club has morphed into a meetup type group as the serious sea kayakers moved on. We used to know everyone and their skill level. “Paddlers” now come out of the woodwork with little or no experience and clueless as to safety gear and conditions. Any helpful suggestions are taken as insults. After the last meetup turned scary in challenging conditions I am avoiding these groups like the plague and paddling alone or with people I know.”

How are people going to learn about the dangers and required skills/equipment if they aren’t exposed to this kind of information over and over? Obviously the people you’re referring to are not going to seek it out on their own. In fact I would think many have the same puzzling attitude that you’ve expressed a couple times lately, that its somehow morbid rather than critically important, informative and educational.

I just don’t see it as morbid. Posting pictures of their bodies floating up 3 weeks later would be morbid. Morbid suggests an unhealthy interest, the whole point of these topics is keeping people healthy and alive.

Husband and wife that could happt

Wait till they start the “do you always wear a PFD ?” post !

Jack L

@JackL said:
Wait till they start the “do you always wear a PFD ?” post !

Jack L

Never in a skegged boat but always in a ruddered boat…
Unless it’s a Nordlow… then always…

The answer to that is yes and today I was glad I had it on.

@qajaqman said:
I’m trying to understand how this is compatible with your recently expressed sentiment “Our local club has morphed into a meetup type group as the serious sea kayakers moved on. We used to know everyone and their skill level. “Paddlers” now come out of the woodwork with little or no experience and clueless as to safety gear and conditions. Any helpful suggestions are taken as insults. After the last meetup turned scary in challenging conditions I am avoiding these groups like the plague and paddling alone or with people I know.”

How are people going to learn about the dangers and required skills/equipment if they aren’t exposed to this kind of information over and over? Obviously the people you’re referring to are not going to seek it out on their own. In fact I would think many have the same puzzling attitude that you’ve expressed a couple times lately, that its somehow morbid rather than critically important, informative and educational.

I just don’t see it as morbid. Posting pictures of their bodies floating up 3 weeks later would be morbid. Morbid suggests an unhealthy interest, the whole point of these topics is keeping people healthy and alive.

Reading about car wrecks and seeing morbid photos in high school didn’t make me a good driver. Observing a good driver , my Dad, and having a wreck did.

Reading about car wrecks and seeing morbid photos in high school didn’t make me a good driver. Observing a good driver , my Dad, and having a wreck did.

So anti-smoking commercials don’t work?

@string said:

I agree wrecks are a great learning experience, if you live. My rollover taught me a lot about what seatbelts can do for you that I might have taken for granted (or never learned, if I hadnt been wearing one). That’s kinda the point here, that these “wrecks” are all somehow things someone can learn from.

Anyway I can still understand why someone might not want to read about every single one, although I would still want to (unless I start getting numb). They keep me humble. I’m still figuring out the perks and quirks of the new sofware here-I havent seen a way to hide messages or topics but maybe there’s a way to isolate them down the road so only the people who want to read them have to? Maybe a safety/incident forum, or a way to hide certain forums results from appearing in the “Recent Discussions”.

@qajaqman said:

. I’m still figuring out the perks and quirks of the new sofware here-I havent seen a way to hide messages or topics but maybe there’s a way to isolate them down the road so only the people who want to read them have to? Maybe a safety/incident forum, or a way to hide certain forums results from appearing in the “Recent Discussions”.

Why in the world should topics/messages be hidden? This is a very nice community of paddlers, each of whom has the choice whether to read a topic or not and to comment or not.

Isolating or hiding topics constitutes censorship. Not a good idea.

Good grief, who else wants to misinterpret me today? Would you please read what I said before accusing me?

I was suggesting ideas so that people who dont want to read all the death reports don’t have to. Thats hardly censorship. I was trying to help. :#

The morbid film we watched in Driver’s Ed was called Mechanized Death. Maybe we should make a film; give it a title like Death Doesn’t Have to be Mechanized.

Death doesn’t have to be mechanized,
In our terminal of departing situation.
And we should keep in mind
going out’s not the kind
to relent per any mixed machinations.
(whether in the safe or the unsafest situation)
(except maybe in those stupid countless Final Destinations)

@grayhawk said:
Fake News…
Just seeing if we could get any more morbid on this page…

I used to work for CNN. Maybe we know one another.

Maybe “If we don’t have video it’s not news”…

@grayhawk said:
Maybe “If we don’t have video it’s not news”…

Ya, but it is news if you heard it from a guy, who heard it from a fisherman, who heard it from, a lady, who heard it from her sewing circle, who were all drinking spiked lemonade!

Jack L

Things can get lost in translation. I was told by a maintenance guy from the nearby college that the man who recently drowned on Lake George had his feet stuck in his kayak. He heard it from another maintenance guy who supposedly heard it from a relative who heard it from a county employee up there. The first maintenance guy saw my kayak rack up and started the conversation.

The young man was found in the water a fair distance from his boat. Unless he had extraordinarily flexible joints and legs 20 or so feet long, the story could not have been true. But the maintenance guys really wanted to believe he could have gotten stuck in a rec boat.

He could have been stuck at time of death.

I keep my Halloween skeleton in my boat. Might make for a good cover for the book; “Death Need Not be Mechanized.”

Or a promotional poster for the movie.

Looks like he’s been waiting a really long time to paddle that boat…