Kayaker thinking about getting a canoe

When I am in my solo canoe with a single blade paddle on a tight twisty river dancing I find myself thinking I love this boat best. When I am in the ocean with the waves and surf with a double blade paddle and sea kayak dancing I find myself thinking I love this boat best. I love both styles and really can’t choose which is best. There is joy in both styles of paddling.

For camping the ease of loading my solo canoe is superior, and getting in an out is easier. It is 36 pounds and 15’ 8" long. In the wind and waves on the ocean I love the water tight hatches and the way my 17’ 4", 50 pound sea kayak handles when kayak camping.

Each boat has it’s strength and weakness. I would not give up either.

I’m a die-hard canoeist, but I think castoff is making a good point. Canoes and kayaks are tools for traversing waters and different tools are appropriate for different tasks.
I have a friend who says, “there are canoe days and there are kayak days.” I think she’s right, though I traditionally have passed on paddling on “kayak days”. Those are exceptionally cold windy days and involve big water.
I did, however, win a Tsunami 140 in a raffle at Canoecopia last week. Now I suppose I’m obliged to paddle dangerous water in lousy weather. We’ll just have to see how this works out…