Like I have mentioned in another help question, I am very new to kayaking. I have boughten a Hertitage Feather Lite 9 footer (I think) and a day tripper paddle. In my area there are tons and tons of lakes and ponds to adventure. Are there any must have accessories or BASICS that any kayaker should have? I know no one who really kayaks and I have taken a serious liking to the sport so any help is greatly appreciated!
…is a must have.
Here’s some basics
- A PFD & use it
- A way to re-enter your boat if you capsize
- dress for the water temperature & sun protection
- Not familiar with your boat, but, if it doesn’t have bulkheads, then floatation bags
- water, & if you’re going for a few hours, some fuel like a PBJ on whole wheat (remember you are the engine)
- A paddling partner if you are going far from shore or paddling in challenging conditions
- water shoes in case you have to get out to protect your feet
- And most of all, common sense
Pricey float bags, beach balls, pool noodles, soda bottles in a mesh bag…As long as it’s secured in the boat, every gallon/litre of air able to be kept in the boat is a gallon/litre that you don’t have to bail/pump/dump out, and will greatly add to the stability in a reentry.
Add to list:
Signaling device - whistle
Bailing device - pump/spong/bailer
In Canada add - throwbag 50’
Place your name/address/contact name phone # in your PFD so the can ID your body when your leave your common sense ashore.