Kayaking around Lake Superior

We are thinking about circumnavigating Lake Superior (with the car!) and doing short kayak trips at various points of interest. Have any of you been out to Michipicoten Island? I have read that you can charter a fishing boat to take you and your kayak out there, but I can’t find any information on what something like that would cost. Do you have to make reservations ahead of time or is that necessary?

We also want to visit the Slate Islands so any information on that area would be helpful.

Contact NSA
http://www.naturallysuperior.com/

Slate Islands
I contacted the Local Chamber of Commerce for Terrace Bay, ON. I spoke to a few of the charter boat captains to inquire about the cost for service out to and back from the islands. I don’t remember the exact amount ($150 Candian I think).

The people I spoke to were very nice and sent me info about Terrca Bay and the area.

I have heard of people paddling out to the island provided the weather is stable, but fog is common.

I have wanted to go there for a while, it looks like a neat place to explore!!

naturally superior advenures
is the outfit I would use. a friend of mine guided a trip out to the island a few years ago through them, they use Andersen’s tug service to get folks out there, it is quite a ways to paddle. I would recommend it though, it is very remote and very cool from what I hear. You have a real liklihood of seeing caribou out there too!

Munising
I’ve not paddled there but the Munising area near Pictured Rocks National Seashore looks like a wonderful area.

Thank you
I appreciate all your responses. We have never been to this part of the Lake before and look forward to the trip. In the past we have kayaked all through the Apostle Islands and Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore. So many pretty areas around the lake.

circumnav
Make sure you stop at:

Agawa Bay in Ontario- Great set of indian pictographs!

While in Sault Ste. Marie Michigan eat at the “Antlers” Restaraunt. Check out the old birch bark canoe hanging inside.

Make sure you take the paved back roads towards Brimley and Paradise Michigan along the lake. Good camping on the lake. ANd Check out the 1800’s lighthouse near Brimley, Crisp Point near Grand Maria and the many other lighthouses!

Some of the largest sand dunes in the world at at Grand maria Michigan, well over 700 feet high!

Whitefish Point and the Greatlakes Shipwreck Museam which has the bell from the famed Edmund Fitzgerald which sank there in 1975…all hands died!

Pictured Rocks is a must.

marquestte, Mich Presq Ilse are is great too.

Copper harbor and the kewinaw pennisula has plenty to do too!

have fun

n

I suspect
that it would be considerably more than $150.00 for a drop off and pickup. I would have guessed more like $500.00 CDN at the minimum (I’m only guessing though). There are not a lot of people doing this type of shuttle service as it takes either a larger boat or a specially outfitted boat that can carry multiple canoes or kayaks.

David