Kayaking eyeware suggestions

Any ideas or suggestions for those of us who are visually challenged (glasses) as what works well for eyeware and can handle rolling. Old eye injury has kept me away from contacts. Barz goggles are the only lead I have come across and know nothing about them or other products.

I wear glasses
and I find that a pair of croakies do the trick. They just slip over the earpieces of the glasses and you can tighten them up as much as you like. I’ve been dumped a couple of times and took rolling lessons with them on and they do all right. I also have transitions so they are built in automatic sunglasses. If you’re worried about rocks, wear an old pair or a pair of plain safety goggles over them.

croakies and glasses
That is what I have been doing, but afraid if I ever hit some really rough water situations they would just get ripped off.

four eyes
here as well, I use a strap sort of like croakies, then use a hat strap (the sort that has like aligator clips) that clips to the strap and to the back of my shirt. Sort of a back up, which has worked in moderate surf and rolling.

Oakley Juliets with croakies.
I have to have glasses and these are the only ones I have found to be able to hold up

Barz goggles
Has anyone tried these or a similar product?

http://www.murrays.com/barz/frame_colors.html

put some floatation on them
as well. You never really know it’s there, just put on on the end of the croakies.

I agree on the floatation idea
It may be just particular to me but the goggles over the glasses equals fogging up. I keep my croakies pretty snug (there’s a certain point where it becomes too tight for comfort). Maby something visible and bright that you slipped the ear pieces thru before installing the croakies?

Yep
A lovely florescent yellow neoprene mini-pillow. Mine is installed between the bead of my chums and the black tag atthe back. Just the thing for my fashion sense. Not made any more but any marine store will have something.

I WEAR A PAIR WHERE’ERE I FARE
and they’re prescription, bifocal, polarized specs that cost me $250.

Ain’t about to let those puppies swim if I can help it!

I have headbands with built-in flotation -that works (tested) that I cinch up and sung to my head. I’ve swum with them several times -most recently in my Isthmus experiments (for lack of a better term for the log rolling practice that is MY paddling of the I, LOL!).

They work well for me, and I think they’ll work well with others such that we bought an additional pair for 4-eye friends of ours that recently went canoe swimming…

And this is good practice for ANY specs on the water -they don’t need to be costly peepers at all. If they’re good enough to wear, they’re good enough to protect & save in case of a mishap as you

Paddle on!

-Frank in Miami

I use the Sea Specks
http://www.seaspecs.com/

and may be ordering the perscription version soon.

helmet
In a rough area, use a whitewater helmet, especially if you can roll. Keeps the hat and glasses on better. There are many ways to cut your head and you might be a long way from the er. I love my helmet, it has saved my life more than once. Small diam lenses, not too close to the eyes, seem to fog less because there is better ventilation.

Barz Goggles
I recently took a high impact blow to my left eye which for all intent and purpose has left me blind in that eye. For the next six months the doctor said not to take any chances with the eye while the physical damage heals. (He doesn’t want it to start hemmoraging (sp)again) So when I kayak I wear the Barz for protection. They do not have the prescription lenses but they work well even in the surf. They come with different bridges to fit different faces and a back up strap to keep them with you even if the get knocked off.

Walmart
has prescription goggles for around $100 with a head strap. I use BCGs with croakies. I have lost a pair or 2.

I would recommend Prescription on Them
I found that when I wear my contacts and the Barz with the gasket that seals out the water, the lenses fog up too easily. However, the provided sealed gasket does keep out most of the water and I like how clearly you can see under water with them.

I switched to using the perforated gasket with contact lenses, but have not used it when practicing rolls because the water gets in. The perforated gasket does solve the fogging problem.

I think I’m going to try the perforated gaskets underwater to see how much water gets in. If only a little water gets in, I think I may be ordering prescription lenses and sticking with the perforated gaskets.

By the way, the people at Murrays.com were very nice. Their primary interest was that I be happy

with my purchase or return it.

Lou

Non-speckled spectacles
I didn’t like my specks being riddled with rain drops or water running across the lenses after a roll. So last year I tried rubbing a very, very small amount of RainX the auto windshield additive to a pair of my glasses. I was amazed the first time I rolled after the application and my glasses came out of the water as if they never where in water.