Kayaking for exercise

Recently been on a good fitness kick, but I hurt my knee and really don’t want to stop. Kayaking seems like good alternative for my source of cardio, and exponentially more enjoyable than sitting on a rowing machine or other. So I’m going to buy a kayak, and I’m hoping to be able to sustain a 150+ heart rate in the process. My question is, if I buy a cheap kayak from Walmart or Dicks sporting goods, will intense rowing be an issue with stability? Or do all kayaks generally have the ability to support intense rowing. I don’t want to spend 300$ to end up wobbling back and forth. But I’m also not willing to pay for an expensive kayak. I do imagine I will use it for fishing or other recreation too, but the prime objective now is cardio.

I would spend an hour or two digging into this forum. There is so much more to kayaking beyond just the exercise aspect. But I expect the experienced members here will soon highlight that “stability”, “intense rowing” and Wal-Mart really don’t go together.

You should mention your location and what kind of water you will be paddling in…

@PhotoMax said:
I expect the experienced members here will soon highlight that “stability”, “intense rowing” and Wal-Mart ready don’t go together.

I agree in one way, but looking at it another way a fat inefficient box store “kayak” can provide an excellent resistance workout. Just don’t expect to get very far, or get there on a straight path…

Also, don’t expect a recreational kayak to go the same places as their big brothers/sisters safely. If you don’t fully understand this comment, definitely start digging into your homework…

Water will be still, small lakes/reservoirs. As i said, there will be other forms of recreation involved, whether by me or a friend borrowing it, but i’m by no means looking for a durable kayak for rapids or anything like that. It’s more so for exercise with fishing breaks. I’m also not going for speed. I don’t need a kayak that’s ideal for racing, just one that will hold up to intense rowing while maintaining stability. From what ive read, the beginner (walmart) kayaks are generally better for stability because theyre made for beginners. But should i go for a longer one, or a certain form factor?

I would rent a kayak, and/or sign up for a tour with someone before committing to this.

You are probably younger than I am - I’m 68 - but I run a few miles three days a week with my heart at about 140. I can’t imagine the intensity level required to sustain 150 bpm kayaking.

WalMart and Dick’s kayaks are essentially pool toys. I think you’d want a Surf Ski for an intense workout.

I have found that the kayak can’t compare to the bicycle for cardio. Since you can’t bike with your knee issue I would suggest you use a paddle (not an oar) with minimal surface area. You want a fast, fast cadence if it’s cardio you’re looking for. (You paddle a kayak, you don’t row it.)

@Sparky961 i dont need to break speed records, or stay in a race worthy straight line, its unlikely id be able to keep straight with a $5k kayak as a beginner anyway.

@Rex So would simply getting an oar with a smaller surface area be sufficient? that seems like it’d make sense

A shell is rowed and a kayak is paddled. Different techniques. An erg is a full body workout. Paddling a kayak is not.

Since your primary goal is cardio, sure you can get your heart rate up paddling a kayak. Keep in mind a box store boat is short and wide and won’t track well so you’ll be doing corrective strokes if you want to go straight. Your stability in the boat will be as good as your technique. Stay close to the shore as if you capsize, you’ll have to drag the boat to shore to empty the cockpit.

My first kayak was a Necky Rip 10. Ten feet long and 28" wide. I was lucky to find this video before I started paddling the boat and didn’t develop bad habits:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lef_ut8n0ms

If you know your resting and maximum heart rates, this HR band calculator will come in handy. https://www.freespiritsrowing.com/forum/app.php/page/heart-rate-bands-calculator

Hopefully you will be using a HR monitor so you can monitor your bands.

Short is good
My first kayak was a Perception Keowee
It was some 9 feet long
Three times a week I paddled it 14 miles from Madison to the Thimbles and back
It did not track at all but by working on my forward stroke I could go reasonably straight
I didnt measure heart rate but in two months lost 25 lbs
Fast. not !

To answer your main question cheap,kayaks are generally,wide so they are stable and wide kayaks are also inefficient so that makes them harder to paddle which would help raise your heart rate. But there are so many used kayaks available that you’d probably be better off buying used and still looking for something on the short and wide side. Also make sure you can easily,lift it so it’s easy to use.

The shorter big box store kayaks will allow you to work hard BUT if you want a full body workout your feet against the pegs may be a bit wide apart for good pedaling. You are talking an awfully wide spread in those 10 footers.
Honestly, you may get more benefit by finding a beat up old rowboat in terms of the workout you want.

What Kayamedic said x’s -2
First of all, you don’t row a kayak or a canoe. You paddle them
Secondly Mine, my wife’s and our oldest daughter’s first kayaks were the same as hers, (9’ tub like Keowees)
My daughter and I used to race against each other and my heart rate climbed much quicker then when I now paddle my 18 foot long skinny Epic 18 kayak.
Try the cheapest one that Wally world sells and I’ll guess that it will do just what you want

Get a 12 ft sit on top used and put a 75 pound dog in the back use the crappy long heavy paddle…………then maintain a 3.5 to 4 mph pace for five miles…………
She does it…………….

@Rex So would simply getting an oar with a smaller surface area be sufficient? that seems like it’d make sense.

Yes. Smaller oar = small chainring=more heart/lung.

Larger oar=big chainring=more muscle.

Happy rowing!

@Rex said:
@Rex So would simply getting an oar with a smaller surface area be sufficient? that seems like it’d make sense.

Yes. Smaller oar = small chainring=more heart/lung.

Larger oar=big chainring=more muscle.

Happy rowing!

Hey Rex !
Not to change the subject; but I hope you are watching the Tour
Both my heart rate and my blood pressure sky rocket during the last couple of miles each day

Good morning, Jack! I just watched a little bit of stage 3. I’ve been getting in a lot of miles this summer, though. On weekdays I bike with fellow retirees and on weekends I bike with the younger set that still have to work. Hope you’re doing well.

@Rex said:
Good morning, Jack! I just watched a little bit of stage 3. I’ve been getting in a lot of miles this summer, though. On weekdays I bike with fellow retirees and on weekends I bike with the younger set that still have to work. Hope you’re doing well.

Not much biking - Nanci and I have been training hard for the Adirondack 90 miler in our C-2.
Yesterday we did a 19 miler in 90 degree heat on Lake James and averaged 4.6 MPH. Slow for the youngsters, but not too bad for us over the hill paddlers !

@LimitIsIllusion said:
Water will be still, small lakes/reservoirs. As i said, there will be other forms of recreation involved, whether by me or a friend borrowing it, but i’m by no means looking for a durable kayak for rapids or anything like that. It’s more so for exercise with fishing breaks. I’m also not going for speed. I don’t need a kayak that’s ideal for racing, just one that will hold up to intense rowing while maintaining stability. From what ive read, the beginner (walmart) kayaks are generally better for stability because theyre made for beginners. But should i go for a longer one, or a certain form factor?

You keep saying Exercise, but what I am reading is Fishing, Beginner-Stable (which always means Wide, which means Slow, which is not usually associated with Exercise).

There is no way you would have a kayak anywhere near “ideal for racing” OR “for rapids” with those specs.

But you could get a typical SOT, have your stability, fishing platform, and exercise in the form of pushing (paddling, not rowing; paddle, not oar) a wide, heavy vessel through the water. If you want more exercise tow another boat or a swimmer behind it. It will be even slower but LOTS of exercise.

BTW, do you know how to swim and tread water?

Don’t bother with the flimsy floaty junk sold at discount stores.

If you’re really intent on a kayak being a sustainable exercise machine, in my experience it has to be something you enjoy doing and will continue doing. That means you need a good kayak and the rest of the stuff that goes with it. As for paddling as a way to raise your heart rate to 150–well that might work for a while, but when you get in shape, paddling might not get you there.

When I paddle, I usually have a destination in mind and I get up to cruising speed and go for it. My cruising speed is probably about 75%, or more of the boats theoretical hull speed. At that pace my breathing and heart rate are not elevated that much above normal and I can do it for hours.

Doing a few maxed out sprints probably will raise your heartbeat rate, but you won’t be able to sustain it for any length of time and you are most likely going to hurt yourself.

None of this is to discourage you from kayaking as a good exercise. For a person of somewhat limited abilities due to some injuries etc. , kayaking just might be one of the best, because it is very low impact and it doesn’t strain anything if you do it right.