Kayaking Gloves: This massage therapist cannot get blisters

I put paddle grips on my paddles. Easy slide on. Put them on for the kids too. Easy to use. Haven’t gotten a blister yet and have no need for gloves

1 Like

I use fingerless bicycle gloves

1 Like

Paddle grips like these also help keep hands properly positioned until it becomes second nature (assuming they’re installed correctly in the first place).

2 Likes

My wife and I are both using West Chester garden gloves, $9 at Lowes. They are green nylon for quick drying, with fake suede for grip. They are only available for women but I have been able to squeeze into a women’s Large. I like them better than any of the real paddling gloves I have tried.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/West-Chester-Womens-Large-Nylon-Garden-Gloves/1000132883

1 Like

I already purchased a pair, but I’ll be on the look out for these! Thanks.

These work well for me and decent price.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07LGSX1KN?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

1 Like

These are the ones I ended up getting. Thanks for cosigning them.

Your welcome :hugs:

1 Like

Yak grips will help. Best thing for beginning season paddles: as soon as you feel irritation, dry and use mole skin on irritated places on hand and finish the paddle. Repeat the next time out. Repeat again once more. Problem solved.

1 Like

I like the Sea to Summit “Eclipse” fingerless gloves. They have a leather strip right in the V if the thumb. They run small so if you order go one size up

2 Likes

After having numerous growths cut off the backs of my hands I finally wised up and went to gloves. SPF50 gloves by a company called “Wingo”. They’re marketed as “casting gloves”. They cover roughly 3/4 of finger length, have very lightly paddle surfaces…are really quite comfortable. AND I NO LONGER GET BLISTERS EITHER. :wink: I recommend them highly.

3 Likes

I don’t see “casting gloves” on their website. Might they have changed the name to “sun gloves” for wider appeal?

1 Like

I purchased another pair and the fit wasn’t great and they were sort of bulky/heavy on the hand. I returned them. I’m going to give these a try instead. They look lightweight enough to be comfortable without being bulky - if that makes sense. Thank you for sharing your experience with them. Regarding size, did you follow their size guide? Thanks again.

1 Like

Palmyth UV Protection Fishing Fingerless Gloves UPF50+ Sun Gloves Men Women for Kayaking, Hiking, Paddling, Driving, Canoeing, Rowing

So, I ordered another glove and they are on their way, but I like your glove suggestion too. Both are coming tomorrow. I’ll decide then. I like the minimalist design of these. I’m not really a fan of the longer gloves that goes beyond the wrist. Thank you so much for your suggestion.

Yes, that’s them Alice. Give ‘em a try; I’ve not found anything better yet. I am going to try a pair from Sportsmen’s Warehouse though…

They look pretty good too

I was just looking at the “half finger” version of those. I like how the padding strip is shaped between the thumb and first finger, that’s where I get affected both paddling and on a bike.

Same here. That area is always susceptible. Since I’ve gone to them no more blisters or no more dermatologist after my hands with a knife. If you go with the Wingo gloves I’d find some fabric glue, I get it from Michaels, and give the seams over the thumb and wrist a bit of a coat to seal and reinforce. That seems to be a soft spot for them.
Good luck.

This, or something like it. My wife has a paddle with some factory grip on it and is great. With the grips you need not worry about getting a glove wet, which will keep your hands wet and cause issues. I’ve used sailing gloves and they work well for me also.

Hands down, these are the tackiest and thinnest gloves I have found, and I wear these now for kayaking, motorcycling, and mountain biking. I have bought a lot of gloves associated with those three recreational activities, and nothing beats these.

Seibertron S.P.S.G-1 UPF100+ Sun/UV Protection Touchscreen Adult & Youth Glove